notebook "server"? - Wireless

This is a discussion on notebook "server"? - Wireless ; Hi! I have a question. I have a wireless ad hoc net at home (PC desktop Windows XP Pro, USB ADapter D-Link 132; ADSL modem (ethernet); notebook Samsung Windows Home Premium; the PC Desktop is the access point for internet ...

  1. notebook "server"?

    Hi! I have a question. I have a wireless ad hoc net at home (PC desktop
    Windows XP Pro, USB ADapter D-Link 132; ADSL modem (ethernet); notebook
    Samsung Windows Home Premium; the PC Desktop is the access point for
    internet connection; IP addresses are manually assigned). All works fine.
    I've created the wireless ad hoc networking on PC desktop, and only after
    i've connected the noteboos to to wireless net.
    Is it possible to do the contrary? to create a new net on the notebook and
    let the desktop connect as a client? (the modem is on the PC desktop).
    Thanx for attention
    Francesco

  2. Re: notebook "server"?

    On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:47:26 +0200, "France"
    wrote:

    >Hi! I have a question. I have a wireless ad hoc net at home (PC desktop
    >Windows XP Pro, USB ADapter D-Link 132; ADSL modem (ethernet); notebook
    >Samsung Windows Home Premium; the PC Desktop is the access point for
    >internet connection; IP addresses are manually assigned). All works fine.
    >I've created the wireless ad hoc networking on PC desktop, and only after
    >i've connected the noteboos to to wireless net.
    >Is it possible to do the contrary? to create a new net on the notebook and
    >let the desktop connect as a client? (the modem is on the PC desktop).
    >Thanx for attention
    >Francesco

    Francesco,

    A laptop computer is still a computer. It is perfectly capable of being a
    server. I have a notebook computer that serves files for me.

    Having said that, you should note several possible problems with using any
    computer as a server, connected by WiFi.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ll-travel.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

  3. Re: notebook "server"?

    thanx. I' ll "study" your links.
    Bye
    francesco
    "Chuck [MVP]" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > On Sun, 11 May 2008 09:47:26 +0200, "France"
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi! I have a question. I have a wireless ad hoc net at home (PC desktop
    >>Windows XP Pro, USB ADapter D-Link 132; ADSL modem (ethernet); notebook
    >>Samsung Windows Home Premium; the PC Desktop is the access point for
    >>internet connection; IP addresses are manually assigned). All works fine.
    >>I've created the wireless ad hoc networking on PC desktop, and only after
    >>i've connected the noteboos to to wireless net.
    >>Is it possible to do the contrary? to create a new net on the notebook and
    >>let the desktop connect as a client? (the modem is on the PC desktop).
    >>Thanx for attention
    >>Francesco

    > Francesco,
    >
    > A laptop computer is still a computer. It is perfectly capable of being a
    > server. I have a notebook computer that serves files for me.
    >
    > Having said that, you should note several possible problems with using any
    > computer as a server, connected by WiFi.
    >
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html
    >
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ll-travel.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

  4. Re: notebook "server"?

    Hi
    In order to change the topology the Modem needs to be connected to the
    Laptop via cable and then the laptop can go Ad-Hoc to the Desktop.
    BTW such an arrangement is inferior to to one that use a real Access Point
    or Wireless Router. It is Not as stable and many times it is not secured if
    it can only be configured with WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "France" wrote in message
    > Hi! I have a question. I have a wireless ad hoc net at home (PC desktop
    > Windows XP Pro, USB ADapter D-Link 132; ADSL modem (ethernet); notebook
    > Samsung Windows Home Premium; the PC Desktop is the access point for
    > internet connection; IP addresses are manually assigned). All works fine.
    > I've created the wireless ad hoc networking on PC desktop, and only after
    > i've connected the noteboos to to wireless net.
    > Is it possible to do the contrary? to create a new net on the notebook and
    > let the desktop connect as a client? (the modem is on the PC desktop).
    > Thanx for attention
    > Francesco

  5. Re: notebook "server"?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." ha scritto nel messaggio
    > BTW such an arrangement is inferior to to one that use a real Access Point
    > or Wireless Router. It is Not as stable and many times it is not secured
    > if it can only be configured with WEP.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanx for the answer. About "up":
    I have a home network "ad hoc" so configured: PC Desktop Windows XP
    Pro Service Pack 3, modems ADSL2 Plus (ethernet), network adapter
    Wireless USB 2.0 DWL-G132 with updated drivers - Samsung R700 Notebook
    Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.
    I've created a network on the desktop PC with IP addresses, etc. assigned
    Subnet Mask
    manually.
    Everything actually works "regularly" (the two PCs can see each other,
    web access by notebooks etc.) but I have one "problem" : I can only use WEP
    the tab "protection" displays: protection: no authentication (and I could
    also choose shared or
    WPA-2personal) Type of WEP encryption, as well as the key
    protection that I have manually assigned (as in the desktop PC). The problem
    is
    that the PC desktop (where the network adapter also provides the key
    encryption WPA) I have no possibility of checking encryption
    WPA.
    I wonder: since the adapter provides encryption WPA, this is not
    applicable in an ad hoc network (but I do not believe it)? or, as the new
    network
    is yet another in a series of previous networks (created with another
    notebook)
    maintains perhaps the settings (beginning I was concerned about the key
    encryption) above? Please note that I have repeatedly deleted
    home networking for start from "zero". I do not know if I have been
    cumbersome and
    unclear, in which case excuse me. Thank you for your attention.
    Francesco

  6. Re: notebook "server"?

    Hi
    Some adaptors are capable of WPA while in infrastructure mode, and WEP only
    when doing Ad-Hoc.
    Ad-Hoc is Not a popular setting for Wireless network, the majority of users
    use Wireless cable/DSL Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "France" wrote in message

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:OKAaX4ItIHA.1436@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >> BTW such an arrangement is inferior to to one that use a real Access
    >> Point or Wireless Router. It is Not as stable and many times it is not
    >> secured if it can only be configured with WEP.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Thanx for the answer. About "up":
    > I have a home network "ad hoc" so configured: PC Desktop Windows XP
    > Pro Service Pack 3, modems ADSL2 Plus (ethernet), network adapter
    > Wireless USB 2.0 DWL-G132 with updated drivers - Samsung R700 Notebook
    > Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.
    > I've created a network on the desktop PC with IP addresses, etc. assigned
    > Subnet Mask
    > manually.
    > Everything actually works "regularly" (the two PCs can see each other,
    > web access by notebooks etc.) but I have one "problem" : I can only use
    > WEP
    > the tab "protection" displays: protection: no authentication (and I could
    > also choose shared or
    > WPA-2personal) Type of WEP encryption, as well as the key
    > protection that I have manually assigned (as in the desktop PC). The
    > problem is
    > that the PC desktop (where the network adapter also provides the key
    > encryption WPA) I have no possibility of checking encryption
    > WPA.
    > I wonder: since the adapter provides encryption WPA, this is not
    > applicable in an ad hoc network (but I do not believe it)? or, as the new
    > network
    > is yet another in a series of previous networks (created with another
    > notebook)
    > maintains perhaps the settings (beginning I was concerned about the key
    > encryption) above? Please note that I have repeatedly deleted
    > home networking for start from "zero". I do not know if I have been
    > cumbersome and
    > unclear, in which case excuse me. Thank you for your attention.
    > Francesco

  7. Re: notebook "server"?

    thanx
    francesco