Wi-Fi with Windows ME? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wi-Fi with Windows ME? - Wireless ; I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless card. I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a password to the log in screen. Being a paranoid (what was that??) ...

  1. Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless card. I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a password to the log in screen.

    Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to keep others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other hot spot?

    Thanks!

    Bob

  2. Re: Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    Yes, get yourself a copy of Windows 2000 from eBay or somewhere and install
    that.

    "Bill Kearney" wrote:

    > Don't use ME or 98, you're just asking for trouble. Not many new devices
    > even bother to come with drivers for it. That and it's security is
    > terrible.

  3. Re: Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    Hi
    When using an Open WIFI the security is Off so it does Not really matters
    which OS you use.
    The trick is to leave Files Sharing Off so that people can Not access your
    Hard Drive.
    In any case laptops that run WinME are usually capable to run Windows2000.
    Windows 2000 is much much better then Windows ME so if you can afford it
    switch the OS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Guv Bob" wrote in message
    I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless card.
    I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a password
    to the log in screen.

    Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to keep
    others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other hot
    spot?

    Thanks!

    Bob

  4. Re: Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    Wait! Win 2k is not an upgrade for ME...any machine that can run ME can run
    XP fine, just add some memory.

    "solidsnake204" wrote in message
    > Yes, get yourself a copy of Windows 2000 from eBay or somewhere and
    > install
    > that.
    >
    > "Bill Kearney" wrote:
    >
    >> Don't use ME or 98, you're just asking for trouble. Not many new devices
    >> even bother to come with drivers for it. That and it's security is
    >> terrible.

  5. Re: Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    Thanks, everyone! How do you set file sharing?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message news:uEP7tF7sIHA.5832@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > Hi
    > When using an Open WIFI the security is Off so it does Not really matters
    > which OS you use.
    > The trick is to leave Files Sharing Off so that people can Not access your
    > Hard Drive.
    > In any case laptops that run WinME are usually capable to run Windows2000.
    > Windows 2000 is much much better then Windows ME so if you can afford it
    > switch the OS.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Guv Bob" wrote in message
    > I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless card.
    > I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a password
    > to the log in screen.
    >
    > Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to keep
    > others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other hot
    > spot?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Bob

  6. Re: Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

    Guv Bob wrote:

    > I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless card.
    > I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a
    > password to the log in screen.
    >
    > Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to
    > keep others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other
    > hot spot?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Bob

    A VPN access.