Whoops, sorry, back again. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Whoops, sorry, back again. - Wireless ; Hi -- In July 2007, I bought a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router and several people here were kind enough to help me get it going. The router is actually used only as an access point, which enables me to use ...

  1. Whoops, sorry, back again.

    Hi --

    In July 2007, I bought a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router and several
    people here were kind enough to help me get it going. The router is
    actually used only as an access point, which enables me to use my notebook
    computer anyplace in the house or outside. My desktop computer has a wired
    DSL connection. Everything has gone absolutely perfectly for the last 10
    months, until the notebook computer developed a problem and I had to
    reformat and reinstall XP Home. Now, I cannot get the Buffalo working
    again.

    A wired network between the notebook computer and the hub where the DSL
    cable is attached works perfectly.
    The notebook's wireless setup is probably correct because I can connect to
    every other unsecured network in the neighborhood.
    My wireless network is visible in the selection of available wireless
    networks but I cannot connect to it. It is secured but I have the WEP code.
    The icon indicates that I am connected but the connection remains in the
    state of "acquiring network address."

    Two CDs came with the Buffalo, a red and a blue. I think that it was the
    blue that I used, which is labeled Setup Wizard/Product Manual. The red one
    is labeled Client Card Drivers/Product Manuals/Client Manager Utility. I
    don't think I needed this one at all.

    I have configured the wireless network on the reformatted notebook, using
    the same name as before and entering my WEP security numbers.

    The setup wizard says to set the bottom button on the Buffalo to BRI. That
    is where it is and always has been for my setup.

    I *think* I am then supposed to connect the cable from one of the LAN ports
    on the Buffalo to the notebook to do the configuring, after which it goes
    from the Buffalo to the hub where the wired DSL is connected.

    The instructions then say that I should go into the browser and type in
    http://192.168.11.100 and supposedly I should be able to access the Buffalo
    configuration screen. That is not happening.

    It also seems odd to me that the Buffalo does not appear as hardware when I
    have the cable connected to it, but I cannot remember if it did before or
    not.

    Can anyone please help get me back on track?

    Thanks.
    Zan

    PS. Just so you don't think that I am a total airhead besides being
    elderly, in anticipation that someday I might have to reformat the notebook
    computer, I had made an Acronis True Image of the drive and had preserved
    that image elsewhere. Unfortunately, Acronis couldn't restore it. If
    others are counting on that program, you may want to test restore the image
    before counting on it.

  2. Re: Whoops, sorry, back again.

    This is an update.

    The Buffalo has been flashed with DD-WRT. I had forgotten that the access
    URL should therefore be 192.168.1.1. That URL does not work for me either.

    It was Lem from this group who helped me last July. I have his instructions
    before me now, but cannot implement them unless/until I can access the
    Buffalo configuration.

    Zan

    "tempgal" wrote in message
    > Hi --
    >
    > In July 2007, I bought a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 wireless router and several
    > people here were kind enough to help me get it going. The router is
    > actually used only as an access point, which enables me to use my notebook
    > computer anyplace in the house or outside. My desktop computer has a
    > wired DSL connection. Everything has gone absolutely perfectly for the
    > last 10 months, until the notebook computer developed a problem and I had
    > to reformat and reinstall XP Home. Now, I cannot get the Buffalo working
    > again.
    >
    > A wired network between the notebook computer and the hub where the DSL
    > cable is attached works perfectly.
    > The notebook's wireless setup is probably correct because I can connect to
    > every other unsecured network in the neighborhood.
    > My wireless network is visible in the selection of available wireless
    > networks but I cannot connect to it. It is secured but I have the WEP
    > code. The icon indicates that I am connected but the connection remains in
    > the state of "acquiring network address."
    >
    > Two CDs came with the Buffalo, a red and a blue. I think that it was the
    > blue that I used, which is labeled Setup Wizard/Product Manual. The red
    > one is labeled Client Card Drivers/Product Manuals/Client Manager Utility.
    > I don't think I needed this one at all.
    >
    > I have configured the wireless network on the reformatted notebook, using
    > the same name as before and entering my WEP security numbers.
    >
    > The setup wizard says to set the bottom button on the Buffalo to BRI.
    > That is where it is and always has been for my setup.
    >
    > I *think* I am then supposed to connect the cable from one of the LAN
    > ports on the Buffalo to the notebook to do the configuring, after which it
    > goes from the Buffalo to the hub where the wired DSL is connected.
    >
    > The instructions then say that I should go into the browser and type in
    > http://192.168.11.100 and supposedly I should be able to access the
    > Buffalo configuration screen. That is not happening.
    >
    > It also seems odd to me that the Buffalo does not appear as hardware when
    > I have the cable connected to it, but I cannot remember if it did before
    > or not.
    >
    > Can anyone please help get me back on track?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Zan
    >
    > PS. Just so you don't think that I am a total airhead besides being
    > elderly, in anticipation that someday I might have to reformat the
    > notebook computer, I had made an Acronis True Image of the drive and had
    > preserved that image elsewhere. Unfortunately, Acronis couldn't restore
    > it. If others are counting on that program, you may want to test restore
    > the image before counting on it.

  3. Re: Whoops, sorry, back again.

    tempgal wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >> The instructions then say that I should go into the browser and type in
    >> http://192.168.11.100 and supposedly I should be able to access the
    >> Buffalo configuration screen. That is not happening.
    >>
    >> It also seems odd to me that the Buffalo does not appear as hardware when
    >> I have the cable connected to it, but I cannot remember if it did before
    >> or not.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please help get me back on track?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Zan
    >>
    >> PS. Just so you don't think that I am a total airhead besides being
    >> elderly, in anticipation that someday I might have to reformat the
    >> notebook computer, I had made an Acronis True Image of the drive and had
    >> preserved that image elsewhere. Unfortunately, Acronis couldn't restore
    >> it. If others are counting on that program, you may want to test restore

    Hi Zan,

    Even though you say that you have the WEP password (and by the way, you
    *really* should be using WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP, which is easily
    defeated), you may be entering it incorrectly. Be sure to enter the hex
    values rather than any alphameric password you originally used when
    setting up the Buffalo.

    If you want to reset your password, or change to WPA/WPA2 encryption (or
    to turn password protection off temporarily while you troubleshoot your
    connection), you are correct that you should do so by connecting an
    Ethernet cable from any computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.

    What happens when you do that and enter 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.100)
    in a browser? Just because it's been flashed with DD-WRT doesn't
    necessarily mean that that its IP was reset to 192.168.1.1.

    Try this:

    - temporarily disconnect the Buffalo from everything except your laptop
    - open a command prompt window (Start>Run type "cmd.exe" (without
    quotes) and click OK)
    - in the command prompt window type "arp -a" (without quotes) and press
    Enter. You should get back the IP address of the router. Try entering
    that into a browser and let us know what happens.

    Lem -- MS-MVP

  4. Re: Whoops, sorry, back again.

    Hi, Lem --

    It is so good to see your name.

    Since first writing, I have reset enough times so that the old wireless
    network is gone. There is no security enabled at present.

    At the moment, the Buffalo is still set to BRI, as it was when it worked so
    well before.
    The Buffalo is connected LAN to Notebook.
    There is nothing connected to the WAN.

    When I type in arp -a, the response is "No ARP Entries Found."

    The 192.168.1.1 is apparently the correct URL for the Buffalo because since
    writing last night, I have been able to get into that configuration,
    sporadically. In order to do that, I had to go into Network Connections and
    enter 192.168.1.1 for the IP, the default gateway, and the preferred DNS
    server. When I got in, I was able to enter an SSID name and to disable the
    DHCP server and to save that configuration. That is the status now.

    Zan

    "Lem" wrote in message
> [...]

    > to turn password protection off temporarily while you troubleshoot your
    > connection), you are correct that you should do so by connecting an
    > Ethernet cable from any computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.
    >
    > What happens when you do that and enter 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.100) in
    > a browser? Just because it's been flashed with DD-WRT doesn't necessarily
    > mean that that its IP was reset to 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > - temporarily disconnect the Buffalo from everything except your laptop
    > - open a command prompt window (Start>Run type "cmd.exe" (without quotes)
    > and click OK)
    > - in the command prompt window type "arp -a" (without quotes) and press
    > Enter. You should get back the IP address of the router. Try entering
    > that into a browser and let us know what happens.

  5. Re: Whoops, sorry, back again.

    LEM

    Success! I'm there. Everything is working!

    Sure wish I understood why.

    Maybe it got worried when Papa Lem entered the picture.

    Thanks.

    Zan

    "Lem" wrote in message
> [...]

    > to turn password protection off temporarily while you troubleshoot your
    > connection), you are correct that you should do so by connecting an
    > Ethernet cable from any computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.
    >
    > What happens when you do that and enter 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.100) in
    > a browser? Just because it's been flashed with DD-WRT doesn't necessarily
    > mean that that its IP was reset to 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > - temporarily disconnect the Buffalo from everything except your laptop
    > - open a command prompt window (Start>Run type "cmd.exe" (without quotes)
    > and click OK)
    > - in the command prompt window type "arp -a" (without quotes) and press
    > Enter. You should get back the IP address of the router. Try entering
    > that into a browser and let us know what happens.

  6. Oh, no ... gone again!

    My joy was short lived. That was another neighborhood network I was
    connected to, not my own. I still cannot get into my own.

    Zan

    "tempgal" wrote in message
    > LEM
    >
    > Success! I'm there. Everything is working!
    >
    > Sure wish I understood why.
    >
    > Maybe it got worried when Papa Lem entered the picture.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Zan
    >

    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> tempgal wrote:
    >>> This is an update.
    >>>
    >>> The Buffalo has been flashed with DD-WRT. I had forgotten that the
    >>> access
    >>> URL should therefore be 192.168.1.1. That URL does not work for me
    >>> either.
    >>>
    >>> It was Lem from this group who helped me last July. I have his
    >>> instructions
    >>> before me now, but cannot implement them unless/until I can access the
    >>> Buffalo configuration.
    >>>
    >>> Zan
    >>>
    >>> "tempgal" wrote in message

    >> Hi Zan,
    >>
    >> Even though you say that you have the WEP password (and by the way, you
    >> *really* should be using WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP, which is easily
    >> defeated), you may be entering it incorrectly. Be sure to enter the hex
    >> values rather than any alphameric password you originally used when
    >> setting up the Buffalo.
    >>
    >> If you want to reset your password, or change to WPA/WPA2 encryption (or
    >> to turn password protection off temporarily while you troubleshoot your
    >> connection), you are correct that you should do so by connecting an
    >> Ethernet cable from any computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.
    >>
    >> What happens when you do that and enter 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.11.100)
    >> in a browser? Just because it's been flashed with DD-WRT doesn't
    >> necessarily mean that that its IP was reset to 192.168.1.1.
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> - temporarily disconnect the Buffalo from everything except your laptop
    >> - open a command prompt window (Start>Run type "cmd.exe" (without quotes)
    >> and click OK)
    >> - in the command prompt window type "arp -a" (without quotes) and press
    >> Enter. You should get back the IP address of the router. Try entering
    >> that into a browser and let us know what happens.
    >>

    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

  7. Re: Oh, no ... gone again!

    I have to go off the air for a while (it *is* Mother's Day, after all).
    I'll try to get back you soon, but it's not likely to be until tomorrow.

    If I understand what's going on with your setup (and I'm not sure I
    fully do yet), you had the Buffalo router set up as an AP, and if you
    followed directions I gave you a year or so ago, that means that you had
    probably turned the DHCP server in the Buffalo router off. Thus, when
    you connected your laptop to the router's LAN port without anything else
    connected to the router, the laptop didn't automatically receive an IP
    address. Assuming that the router's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 (as
    it seems to be), you should have gone into your notebook's network
    connection properties and set the notebook's IP to 192.168.1.x where x
    is NOT 1. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 You don't need the
    "gateway" for purposes of configuring the router.

    I'll have to refresh my recollection about what "BRI" means for Buffalo
    routers. In any case, however, if you *did* get into the router's
    configuration screens, set an SSID, and confirmed that there is no
    security currently configured, the next step is to get connected wirelessly.

    The problem you may be having is that, with the Buffalo's DHCP server is
    off (which it should be if you are using it as an AP only), the wireless
    client also will not receive an IP address and gateway *unless* there is
    a different router connected to another of the Buffalo's LAN ports. In
    your first post, you mentioned a "hub." Unless that hub is actually a
    router (or a combination modem/router) you'll have problems.

    Seeing that things used to work before you reinstalled the OS on the
    laptop, I expect that your "hub" is a router. However, it must be
    connected to one of the Buffalo's LAN ports in order for its DHCP server
    to allocate IP addresses to clients connected to the Buffalo.

    So ... what happens when you try to connect wirelessly at this point?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  8. Re: Oh, no ... gone again!

    What happens is that sometimes it works, sometimes not.

    I verified that it works and that I was connected to MY wireless network.
    Moments later, I check again, and without any action on my part, it has
    disconnected from my network and connected to any one of the other
    neighborhood networks. It will not remain connected to mine.

    Probably of some significance is that when I look at the list of available
    wireless networks, mine says Not Connected, but the button at the bottom
    says Disconnect. If I click on Disconnect, it verifies that I want to
    disconnect from my network, even though it says that I am not connected.

    Have also noticed that when it does connect, it takes an inordinately long
    time, whereas for the other neighborhood networks, it is instantaneous.
    While it is connecting, it says Please wait while Windows connects to the
    "Cantankerous" network. Usually, if I proceed to disconnect, I cannot
    connect again.

    My "hub" is really a hub. The DSL modem/router is connected to this hub.
    It sounds hokey but it really did work flawlessly for all these past months
    since you helped me out before.

    Please do celebrate mother's day with your family. This problem is not
    important to anyone except me, and it's not as if I am without a computer to
    play with.

    Thanks.
    Zan

    "Lem" wrote in message
    >I have to go off the air for a while (it *is* Mother's Day, after all).
    >I'll try to get back you soon, but it's not likely to be until tomorrow.
    >
    > If I understand what's going on with your setup (and I'm not sure I fully
    > do yet), you had the Buffalo router set up as an AP, and if you followed
    > directions I gave you a year or so ago, that means that you had probably
    > turned the DHCP server in the Buffalo router off. Thus, when you
    > connected your laptop to the router's LAN port without anything else
    > connected to the router, the laptop didn't automatically receive an IP
    > address. Assuming that the router's LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 (as it
    > seems to be), you should have gone into your notebook's network connection
    > properties and set the notebook's IP to 192.168.1.x where x is NOT 1. The
    > subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 You don't need the "gateway" for
    > purposes of configuring the router.
    >
    > I'll have to refresh my recollection about what "BRI" means for Buffalo
    > routers. In any case, however, if you *did* get into the router's
    > configuration screens, set an SSID, and confirmed that there is no
    > security currently configured, the next step is to get connected
    > wirelessly.
    >
    > The problem you may be having is that, with the Buffalo's DHCP server is
    > off (which it should be if you are using it as an AP only), the wireless
    > client also will not receive an IP address and gateway *unless* there is a
    > different router connected to another of the Buffalo's LAN ports. In your
    > first post, you mentioned a "hub." Unless that hub is actually a router
    > (or a combination modem/router) you'll have problems.
    >
    > Seeing that things used to work before you reinstalled the OS on the
    > laptop, I expect that your "hub" is a router. However, it must be
    > connected to one of the Buffalo's LAN ports in order for its DHCP server
    > to allocate IP addresses to clients connected to the Buffalo.
    >
    > So ... what happens when you try to connect wirelessly at this point?
    >

    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

  9. Re: Oh, no ... gone again!

    tempgal wrote:
> [...]
    >> off (which it should be if you are using it as an AP only), the wireless
    >> client also will not receive an IP address and gateway *unless* there is a
    >> different router connected to another of the Buffalo's LAN ports. In your
    >> first post, you mentioned a "hub." Unless that hub is actually a router
    >> (or a combination modem/router) you'll have problems.
    >>
    >> Seeing that things used to work before you reinstalled the OS on the
    >> laptop, I expect that your "hub" is a router. However, it must be
    >> connected to one of the Buffalo's LAN ports in order for its DHCP server
    >> to allocate IP addresses to clients connected to the Buffalo.
    >>
    >> So ... what happens when you try to connect wirelessly at this point?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.

    I don't have time to step you through it right now, but find the list of
    "preferred networks" and make sure that yours is the only one on that
    list (see http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4). When you've done that, click on
    the Advanced button in the lower right and make sure that on the next
    screen, the box to "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is
    UNchecked. http://tinyurl.com/434j9y

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  10. Found the problem...I think.

    Lem --

    Besides this newsgroup, I was also googling for clues.

    There is a service called Wireless Zero Configuration. Once I stopped that,
    the connection stabilized. At least, it has been stable for the past hour
    or so.

    The negative is that no other wireless connections now appear, so if I have
    occasion to use the wireless feature of this notebook some place other than
    home, which is highly likely, I'll have to remember to restart it.

    Enjoy your day, and thanks again.

    Zan

    "Lem" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>> laptop, I expect that your "hub" is a router. However, it must be
    >>> connected to one of the Buffalo's LAN ports in order for its DHCP server
    >>> to allocate IP addresses to clients connected to the Buffalo.
    >>>
    >>> So ... what happens when you try to connect wirelessly at this point?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    > I don't have time to step you through it right now, but find the list of
    > "preferred networks" and make sure that yours is the only one on that list
    > (see http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4). When you've done that, click on the
    > Advanced button in the lower right and make sure that on the next screen,
    > the box to "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is UNchecked.

  11. Re: Found the problem...I think.

    Hi
    The original Wireless card utility is probably running too.
    Only one utility can work at the time.
    See here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "tempgal" wrote in message
    > Lem --
    >
    > Besides this newsgroup, I was also googling for clues.
    >
    > There is a service called Wireless Zero Configuration. Once I stopped
    > that, the connection stabilized. At least, it has been stable for the
    > past hour or so.
    >
    > The negative is that no other wireless connections now appear, so if I
    > have occasion to use the wireless feature of this notebook some place
    > other than home, which is highly likely, I'll have to remember to restart
    > it.
    >
    > Enjoy your day, and thanks again.
    >
    > Zan
    >

    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> tempgal wrote:
    >>> What happens is that sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    >>>
    >>> I verified that it works and that I was connected to MY wireless
    >>> network. Moments later, I check again, and without any action on my
    >>> part, it has disconnected from my network and connected to any one of
    >>> the other neighborhood networks. It will not remain connected to mine.
    >>>
    >>> Probably of some significance is that when I look at the list of
    >>> available wireless networks, mine says Not Connected, but the button at
    >>> the bottom says Disconnect. If I click on Disconnect, it verifies that
    >>> I want to disconnect from my network, even though it says that I am not
    >>> connected.
    >>>
    >>> Have also noticed that when it does connect, it takes an inordinately
    >>> long time, whereas for the other neighborhood networks, it is
    >>> instantaneous. While it is connecting, it says Please wait while Windows
    >>> connects to the "Cantankerous" network. Usually, if I proceed to
    >>> disconnect, I cannot connect again.
    >>>
    >>> My "hub" is really a hub. The DSL modem/router is connected to this
    >>> hub. It sounds hokey but it really did work flawlessly for all these
    >>> past months since you helped me out before.
    >>>
    >>> Please do celebrate mother's day with your family. This problem is not
    >>> important to anyone except me, and it's not as if I am without a
    >>> computer to play with.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Zan
    >>>

    >>> "Lem" wrote in message

    >> I don't have time to step you through it right now, but find the list of
    >> "preferred networks" and make sure that yours is the only one on that
    >> list (see http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4). When you've done that, click on the
    >> Advanced button in the lower right and make sure that on the next screen,
    >> the box to "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is
    >> UNchecked. http://tinyurl.com/434j9y
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

  12. Finally, all set

    Thanks, Gentlemen.

    Just in case others encounter the same problems and are as clueless as I
    am...

    The result of stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration service was not that
    great. It is a poor option. That is best left alone.

    Found another suggestion somewhere about deselecting a feature called
    something like "Enable IEEE 802.11g Security selected." I tried that and it
    resolved everything. My setup is not precisely as it was before but it has
    worked perfectly all night and may even be better.

    Couldn't have done it without Lem's previously provided instructions.

    So, I have learned some more. Now, if it will only stick!

    Regards,
    Zan

    The other thing that my connection didn't like was
    > Hi
    > The original Wireless card utility is probably running too.
    > Only one utility can work at the time.
    > See here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "tempgal" wrote in message
    >> Lem --
    >>
    >> Besides this newsgroup, I was also googling for clues.
    >>
    >> There is a service called Wireless Zero Configuration. Once I stopped
    >> that, the connection stabilized. At least, it has been stable for the
    >> past hour or so.
    >>
    >> The negative is that no other wireless connections now appear, so if I
    >> have occasion to use the wireless feature of this notebook some place
    >> other than home, which is highly likely, I'll have to remember to restart
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Enjoy your day, and thanks again.
    >>
    >> Zan
    >>

    >> "Lem" wrote in message

    >>> I don't have time to step you through it right now, but find the list of
    >>> "preferred networks" and make sure that yours is the only one on that
    >>> list (see http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4). When you've done that, click on
    >>> the Advanced button in the lower right and make sure that on the next
    >>> screen, the box to "automatically connect to non-preferred networks" is
    >>> UNchecked. http://tinyurl.com/434j9y
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

  13. Re: Finally, all set

    tempgal wrote:
    > Thanks, Gentlemen.
    >
    > Just in case others encounter the same problems and are as clueless as I
    > am...
    >
    > The result of stopping the Wireless Zero Configuration service was not that
    > great. It is a poor option. That is best left alone.
    >
    > Found another suggestion somewhere about deselecting a feature called
    > something like "Enable IEEE 802.11g Security selected." I tried that and it
    > resolved everything. My setup is not precisely as it was before but it has
    > worked perfectly all night and may even be better.
    >
    > Couldn't have done it without Lem's previously provided instructions.
    >
    > So, I have learned some more. Now, if it will only stick!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Zan

    Zan,

    I'm glad you got things working. Are you sure that the box you
    deselected wasn't called " Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this
    network"? You're correct that *that* box should NOT be selected for
    most home wireless networks. IEEE 802.1x authentication usually
    involves the use of a separate RADIUS server for authentication.

    http://tinyurl.com/4m2mz4

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  14. Re: Finally, all set

    You're right regarding the file name, Lem. I couldn't remember exactly
    where it was and had to run off for work, so I guessed.

    Zan