A public Wi-Fi enigma - Wireless

This is a discussion on A public Wi-Fi enigma - Wireless ; A strange thing sometimes happens when I use the free Wi-Fi at the local public library :- Internet Explorer and Firefox will often stop connecting and display the respective error messages. Outlook Express also says . The issue resolves itself ...

  1. A public Wi-Fi enigma

    A strange thing sometimes happens when I use the free Wi-Fi at the local
    public library :-
    Internet Explorer and Firefox will often stop connecting and display the
    respective error messages. Outlook Express also says
    .
    The issue resolves itself within a few minutes. Other users have this
    problem too, so there is nothing wrong with my laptop.
    However, during all such interruptions, uTorrent would keep working merrily
    as if nothing has happened.
    What is its secret? Is it related to Windows XP, or the wireless network
    set-up at the library? Or something else?
    This is a Windows XP Pro SP3 unit, BTW.
    Regards and thanks in anticipation for any insights.
    RR
    ---

  2. Re: A public Wi-Fi enigma

    "Rubicon" wrote in

    > A strange thing sometimes happens when I use the free Wi-Fi at the
    > local public library :-
    > Internet Explorer and Firefox will often stop connecting and
    > display the respective error messages.
    > Outlook Express also says .
    > The issue resolves itself within a few minutes. Other users have
    > this problem too, so there is nothing wrong with my laptop.
    > However, during all such interruptions, uTorrent would keep
    > working merrily as if nothing has happened.
    > What is its secret? Is it related to Windows XP, or the wireless
    > network set-up at the library? Or something else?
    > This is a Windows XP Pro SP3 unit, BTW.
    > Regards and thanks in anticipation for any insights.
    > RR
    > ---

    It sounds like a problem with the DNS service. Once a name is
    resolved, it can run along without problems for quite a while but
    something like a web browser is looking up names all the time. You
    might be able to solve this by specifying your own DNS servers instead
    of using the ones assigned by the DHCP in the library.

    HTH,
    John

  3. Re: A public Wi-Fi enigma

    My response at bottom:
    "John Wunderlich" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A95829BB51DFwunderpsdrscray@138.126.254.2 10...
    > "Rubicon" wrote in
    >
    >> A strange thing sometimes happens when I use the free Wi-Fi at the
    >> local public library :-
    >> Internet Explorer and Firefox will often stop connecting and
    >> display the respective error messages.
    >> Outlook Express also says .
    >> The issue resolves itself within a few minutes. Other users have
    >> this problem too, so there is nothing wrong with my laptop.
    >> However, during all such interruptions, uTorrent would keep
    >> working merrily as if nothing has happened.
    >> What is its secret? Is it related to Windows XP, or the wireless
    >> network set-up at the library? Or something else?
    >> This is a Windows XP Pro SP3 unit, BTW.
    >> Regards and thanks in anticipation for any insights.
    >> RR
    >> ---

    > It sounds like a problem with the DNS service. Once a name is
    > resolved, it can run along without problems for quite a while but
    > something like a web browser is looking up names all the time. You
    > might be able to solve this by specifying your own DNS servers instead
    > of using the ones assigned by the DHCP in the library.
    >

    > HTH,
    > John

    That sounds plausible - I will check into it as soon as I can!
    Thanks for the response.
    RR
    ---

+ Reply to Thread