Help! XP wireless not working - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help! XP wireless not working - Wireless ; Hi all, I'm suddenly having a problem with wireless access at home via a work provided laptop (which means I'm limited in what I can do to it). The hardware involved is: - IBM Thinkpad T41 (a real one - ...

  1. Help! XP wireless not working

    Hi all,

    I'm suddenly having a problem with wireless access at home via a work
    provided laptop (which means I'm limited in what I can do to it).

    The hardware involved is:
    - IBM Thinkpad T41 (a real one - not Lenovo)
    w/ Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI NIC (54G)
    XP pro (SP2)
    Cisco VPN

    - Netgear WG511T PCMCIA NIC (Rev-A 108/Super-G)
    driver ver 4.2.2.14 (latest)
    utility ver 2.64.33.3 (latest)

    - Netgear WGT624 Router

    I use the internal NIC when roaming at the office, but at home I like
    to use the faster Netgear card. Both worked fine until about a week
    ago when IT pushed some kind of upgrade. That same night the troubles
    began.

    Suddenly the Netgear card hung the computer whenever it was inserted.
    I tried the card in a different slot - no hang but it didn't work.
    Tried it in another laptop and it worked fine. I tried
    uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear drivers and software after which
    the computer hung with the card in either slot.

    After a few go rounds, I gave up on Netgear and tried the internal
    Intel NIC using Windows wireless configuration (as I use it at work).
    It didn't work either - wouldn't even see my network until I disabled
    WPA encryption on the router. But even with encryption off it
    wouldn't connect to my router. Thinking the Intel NIC didn't like the
    Netgear Auto-108 mode, I switched the router first to G-only then to
    B-or-G. Still no connection (and no, I don't have address filtering
    turned on). I tried to connect to my neighbor who foolishly runs an
    open Linksys network - no luck.

    Meanwhile, my personal laptop is humming along perfectly content.

    Then I remembered that the Netgear drivers were still installed.
    Thinking all the gyrations had made a mess, I uninstalled them again
    and ran Registry Mechanic to clean up any dribbles left in the
    registry. Checked by inserting the card and inspecting with the
    device manager.

    Still no luck. The internal NIC seems to work fine at the office so
    IT won't help me figure it out (not that they could ... I generally
    know more than they do and their answer to everything is to re-image
    the computer) - but it won't work at home. I can't get the Netgear
    card to work at all despite the fact that it works fine in another
    computer. I'm afraid the update they pushed a week ago was/is the
    source of the problem and re-imaging won't solve it because I'll just
    get it again. Not to mention that I'll lose all my customizations and
    have to spend hours fixing everything again.

    What the heck could have happened? I'm sure there is no malware and
    the problem started just hours after a major software update.

    Any thoughts?
    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

  2. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    George Neuner wrote:
    > Both worked fine until about a week
    > ago when IT pushed some kind of upgrade.

    > What the heck could have happened?

  3. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    Maybe your IT can tell you what exactly they've done.

    Meanwhile, some facts:
    - The 2100 has *only* 802.11 B mode. It won't connect to routers locked in
    the G mode.

    - Intel drivers have lot of proprietary parameters designed for corporate
    usage;
    so the card can be locked to only certain SSIDs and certain security mode
    (such as Cisco).

    This does not explain what's going with the pcmcia card They could
    install some idiotic "policy manager" that prohibits any removable netcard.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "George Neuner" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm suddenly having a problem with wireless access at home via a work
    > provided laptop (which means I'm limited in what I can do to it).
    >
    > The hardware involved is:
    > - IBM Thinkpad T41 (a real one - not Lenovo)
    > w/ Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI NIC (54G)
    > XP pro (SP2)
    > Cisco VPN
    >
    > - Netgear WG511T PCMCIA NIC (Rev-A 108/Super-G)
    > driver ver 4.2.2.14 (latest)
    > utility ver 2.64.33.3 (latest)
    >
    > - Netgear WGT624 Router
    >
    > I use the internal NIC when roaming at the office, but at home I like
    > to use the faster Netgear card. Both worked fine until about a week
    > ago when IT pushed some kind of upgrade. That same night the troubles
    > began.
    >
    > Suddenly the Netgear card hung the computer whenever it was inserted.
    > I tried the card in a different slot - no hang but it didn't work.
    > Tried it in another laptop and it worked fine. I tried
    > uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear drivers and software after which
    > the computer hung with the card in either slot.
    >
    > After a few go rounds, I gave up on Netgear and tried the internal
    > Intel NIC using Windows wireless configuration (as I use it at work).
    > It didn't work either - wouldn't even see my network until I disabled
    > WPA encryption on the router. But even with encryption off it
    > wouldn't connect to my router. Thinking the Intel NIC didn't like the
    > Netgear Auto-108 mode, I switched the router first to G-only then to
    > B-or-G. Still no connection (and no, I don't have address filtering
    > turned on). I tried to connect to my neighbor who foolishly runs an
    > open Linksys network - no luck.
    >
    > Meanwhile, my personal laptop is humming along perfectly content.
    >
    > Then I remembered that the Netgear drivers were still installed.
    > Thinking all the gyrations had made a mess, I uninstalled them again
    > and ran Registry Mechanic to clean up any dribbles left in the
    > registry. Checked by inserting the card and inspecting with the
    > device manager.
    >
    > Still no luck. The internal NIC seems to work fine at the office so
    > IT won't help me figure it out (not that they could ... I generally
    > know more than they do and their answer to everything is to re-image
    > the computer) - but it won't work at home. I can't get the Netgear
    > card to work at all despite the fact that it works fine in another
    > computer. I'm afraid the update they pushed a week ago was/is the
    > source of the problem and re-imaging won't solve it because I'll just
    > get it again. Not to mention that I'll lose all my customizations and
    > have to spend hours fixing everything again.
    >
    > What the heck could have happened? I'm sure there is no malware and
    > the problem started just hours after a major software update.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

  4. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 02:17:49 +0300, "Pavel A."
    wrote:

    >Maybe your IT can tell you what exactly they've done.
    >
    >Meanwhile, some facts:
    > - The 2100 has *only* 802.11 B mode. It won't connect to routers locked in
    >the G mode.

    Thanks for the correction.

    But the Netgear router accepts B in "B-or-G" and "Auto-108" mode. I
    still can't connect to it - can't even see it unless I disable
    encryption at the router.

    > - Intel drivers have lot of proprietary parameters designed for corporate
    >usage;
    >so the card can be locked to only certain SSIDs and certain security mode
    >(such as Cisco).

    Ok. I know the Intel NIC hasn't been locked in the past because it
    previously could connect to my wifi router. And I could also run the
    VPN to the office through the Netgear card.

> [...]
    >> registry. Checked by inserting the card and inspecting with the
    >> device manager.
    >>
    >> Still no luck. The internal NIC seems to work fine at the office so
    >> IT won't help me figure it out (not that they could ... I generally
    >> know more than they do and their answer to everything is to re-image
    >> the computer) - but it won't work at home. I can't get the Netgear
    >> card to work at all despite the fact that it works fine in another
    >> computer. I'm afraid the update they pushed a week ago was/is the
    >> source of the problem and re-imaging won't solve it because I'll just
    >> get it again. Not to mention that I'll lose all my customizations and
    >> have to spend hours fixing everything again.
    >>
    >> What the heck could have happened? I'm sure there is no malware and
    >> the problem started just hours after a major software update.

  5. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    On May 4, 1:43*pm, George Neuner wrote:
> [...]
    > registry. *Checked by inserting the card and inspecting with the
    > device manager.
    >
    > Still no luck. *The internal NIC seems to work fine at the office so
    > IT won't help me figure it out (not that they could ... I generally
    > know more than they do and their answer to everything is to re-image
    > the computer) - but it won't work at home. *I can't get the Netgear
    > card to work at all despite the fact that it works fine in another
    > computer. *I'm afraid the update they pushed a week ago was/is the
    > source of the problem and re-imaging won't solve it because I'll just
    > get it again. *Not to mention that I'll lose all my customizations and
    > have to spend hours fixing everything again.
    >
    > What the heck could have happened? *I'm sure there is no malware and
    > the problem started just hours after a major software update.

    You might ask your IT group if the modifications they rolled down the
    network to your computer actually disabled access to all wireless
    networks except those which match their own parameters. This might be
    one of their ways of keeping tighter control on (a) what the machine
    is used for and (b) what is allowed to intentionally or
    unintentionally find its way onto the machine.

  6. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    you should check the logs on your Wireless Router and see what exactly fails
    the connection. On the otherhand, in My experience Ive seen a lot of
    thinkpads doing exactly what you report here... it could be with the channel
    selection and/or the WPA package on your WIndows XP. You may try installing
    the WPA2 patch on your PC.

    "Dave" wrote:

> [...]
    > > source of the problem and re-imaging won't solve it because I'll just
    > > get it again. Not to mention that I'll lose all my customizations and
    > > have to spend hours fixing everything again.
    > >
    > > What the heck could have happened? I'm sure there is no malware and
    > > the problem started just hours after a major software update.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > > George
    > > --
    > > for email reply remove "/" from address

    > You might ask your IT group if the modifications they rolled down the
    > network to your computer actually disabled access to all wireless
    > networks except those which match their own parameters. This might be
    > one of their ways of keeping tighter control on (a) what the machine
    > is used for and (b) what is allowed to intentionally or
    > unintentionally find its way onto the machine.

  7. Re: Help! XP wireless not working

    On May 4, 7:42 pm, Dave wrote:

    > You might ask your IT group if the modifications they rolled down the
    > network to your computer actually disabled access to all wireless
    > networks except those which match their own parameters. This might be
    > one of their ways of keeping tighter control on (a) what the machine
    > is used for and (b) what is allowed to intentionally or
    > unintentionally find its way onto the machine.

    Sounds like a good lead. Perhaps it's some restriction your IT setup
    (via update) in the Group Policy ? One can appreciate that there
    would be reasons for restrictions.

    Doesn't sound like a typical driver/hardware problem. Not across two
    different wireless adapters. Have you tried installing another (not
    the netgear) adapter - a USB one, say?

    Jeff L, on another current thread, mentions approaching problems by
    asking the question in reverse, so the question here might be:

    How do you set up an xp machine so that it could only connect to one
    wireless network and that additional wireless network adapters could
    not be installed ? And prevent the user from changing that setting?

    Very clear, well informed problem description by the way.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread