can't share USB drive - Wireless

This is a discussion on can't share USB drive - Wireless ; Wireless network working fine. I can share a folder on an internal hard disk of PC. (logging in from remote notebook). So I assumed I could make a shared folder on the external drive, connected to PC with USB cable. ...

  1. can't share USB drive

    Wireless network working fine. I can share a folder on an internal hard disk
    of PC. (logging in from remote notebook).
    So I assumed I could make a shared folder on the external drive, connected
    to PC with USB cable.
    Well, I can't get it done. I can see the folder (share), but when I want to
    go there from remote notebook, I keep getting some error "insufficient disk
    space..." which is bogus!

    Doing something wrong?

    PC W2kSP4
    notebook: Vista SP1

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

  2. Re: can't share USB drive

    Never mind, found a solution for the bug myself.

    For those interested:

    Description of the IRPStackSize parameter in Windows 2000, in Windows XP,
    and in Windows Server 2003
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 285089
    Last Review : August 31, 2007
    Revision : 7.2

    INTRODUCTION
    This article describes the functionality of the IRPStackSize parameter in
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, in Microsoft Windows XP, and in Microsoft
    Windows Server 2003.
    MORE INFORMATION
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
    modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
    registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
    carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
    Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
    about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
    number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows

    The IRPStackSize parameter specifies the number of stack locations in I/O
    request packets (IRPs) that are used by Windows 2000 Server, by Windows
    Server 2003, and by Windows XP. You may have to increase this number for
    certain transports, for media access control (MAC) drivers, or for file
    system drivers. Each stack uses 36 bytes of memory for each receive buffer.
    This value is set in the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
    The default value of the IRPStackSize parameter is 15. The range is from 11
    (0xb hexadecimal) through 50 (0x32 hexadecimal).

    If the subkey is not present, you can use Registry Editor to add the subkey.
    To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and
    then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters
    3. Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Type IRPStackSize, and then press ENTER to name the value.

    Note Type IRPStackSize exactly as it is displayed. The value name is
    case sensitive.
    5. Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Data Value box, type the value that is appropriate for the
    network, and then click OK.
    If the problem persists after you complete this procedure, increase the
    value of IRPStackSize even more.

    Note On some computers, values from 33 through 38 can cause problems. For
    information about a hotfix that addresses these problems, click the
    following article number to visit the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    924749 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924749/) Event ID 2021 is logged
    even though lots of non-paged pool memory is available in Windows Server
    2003

    ----

    APPLIES TO
    . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    . Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
    . Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    . Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    . Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    . Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    . Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
    . Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
    . Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
    . Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

    Back to the top

+ Reply to Thread