Long Range Wireless Solution - Wireless

This is a discussion on Long Range Wireless Solution - Wireless ; Hi, We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office which is about 30 feet from our home. The home has plaster walls, and so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially ...

  1. Long Range Wireless Solution

    Hi,

    We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office
    which is about 30 feet from our home. The home has plaster walls, and
    so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially the living
    room, which is about 50-60 feet away with 3-4 walls between it and the
    router.

    Any recommendations for a solution? I'm willing to spend a few
    hundred bucks to get this working, if that's what it takes.

    Thanks,

    Tim

  2. Re: Long Range Wireless Solution

    Mount the office router closer to your home perhaps even outdoors in a
    weatherproof wifi box; try better wifi adapters on your computers (most
    purchased locally you can return if they don't help). I surf two
    outdoor-mounted N Draft2 routers hundreds of feet away with trees and
    buildings between using N Draft 2 adapters or a directional WiFire from
    hField.

    "dunerunner" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office
    > which is about 30 feet from our home. The home has plaster walls, and
    > so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially the living
    > room, which is about 50-60 feet away with 3-4 walls between it and the
    > router.
    >
    > Any recommendations for a solution? I'm willing to spend a few
    > hundred bucks to get this working, if that's what it takes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim

  3. Re: Long Range Wireless Solution

    This works very well for me out to about 1000 feet or so.

    http://www.hfield.com/wifire.htm

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    "dunerunner" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office
    > which is about 30 feet from our home. The home has plaster walls, and
    > so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially the living
    > room, which is about 50-60 feet away with 3-4 walls between it and the
    > router.
    >
    > Any recommendations for a solution? I'm willing to spend a few
    > hundred bucks to get this working, if that's what it takes.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tim

  4. Re: Long Range Wireless Solution

    Thanks for the solutions...Any others? BTW, we have two laptops we're
    trying to connect to.

    On May 4, 2:12 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    wrote:
    > This works very well for me out to about 1000 feet or so.
    >
    > http://www.hfield.com/wifire.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...
    > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
    >
    > "dunerunner" wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office
    > > which is about 30 feet from our home. The home has plaster walls, and
    > > so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially the living
    > > room, which is about 50-60 feet away with 3-4 walls between it and the
    > > router.

    > > Any recommendations for a solution? I'm willing to spend a few
    > > hundred bucks to get this working, if that's what it takes.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Tim

  5. Network IP keep changing

    HI

    My Network Printer Ip keep changing since I installed vista SP1 on all my home network. All my computer operate wirelessly now.

    The IP address keep changing a daily basis. I never used to have this problem before.

    My router is linksys WRT54G, it was working ok all the time with wifi capablity, my ip started changing last week for some reasons.

    How can I stop this daily change, I want to have a specific address, this is starting to get annoying, as I have to manually reset all the IP ports configuration on every computers.

    Thanks In advance

    Mathew

  6. Re: Long Range Wireless Solution

    On May 4, 2:41*pm, dunerunner wrote:
    > Thanks for the solutions...Any others? *BTW, we have two laptops we're
    > trying to connect to.
    >
    > On May 4, 2:12 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > This works very well for me out to about 1000 feet or so.

    > >http://www.hfield.com/wifire.htm

    > > --

    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    > > "dunerunner" wrote in message

    > > > Hi,

    > > > We have a situation where our wireless router is located in our office
    > > > which is about 30 feet from our home. *The home has plaster walls, and
    > > > so far we don't get a good signal in the home, especially the living
    > > > room, which is about 50-60 feet away with 3-4 walls between it and the
    > > > router.

    > > > Any recommendations for a solution? *I'm willing to spend a few
    > > > hundred bucks to get this working, if that's what it takes.

    > > > Thanks,

    > > > Tim- Hide quoted text -

    Serveral routers have antennas that "screw" onto the unit. You can
    possibily remove one and connect a more powerfully one or even an
    outdoor model. This would boost the signal over to the home.

  7. Re: Network IP keep changing

    It you don't want it to change then configure the Pirnter with a Static
    Address via whatever utility they give you to do that with. With comercial
    grade printers you can do it with Telnet and a commandline.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    wrote in message news:20085610308sunseeker888@googlemail.com...
    > HI
    >
    > My Network Printer Ip keep changing since I installed vista SP1 on all my
    > home network. All my computer operate wirelessly now.
    >
    > The IP address keep changing a daily basis. I never used to have this
    > problem before.
    >
    > My router is linksys WRT54G, it was working ok all the time with wifi
    > capablity, my ip started changing last week for some reasons.
    >

    > How can I stop this daily change, I want to have a specific address, this
    > is starting to get annoying, as I have to manually reset all the IP ports
    > configuration on every computers.
    >

    > Thanks In advance
    >
    > Mathew

  8. Re: Long Range Wireless Solution

    Well I guess I am going to be a "stick-in-the-mud" and say just run a
    wheather proof Ethernet cable and forget it.

    You could also move the Access Point right next to the wall that is between
    the two buildings. If there is a window then put it in the window.
    Relocating the WAP is the first thing, and the cheapest thing anyone should
    try. A normal signal reaches around 300-350 feet with reasonalble signal
    quality at about half that (150 feet or so.)

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  9. Re: Network IP keep changing

    On May 6, 3:48*pm, "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > It you don't want it to change then configure the Pirnter with a Static
    > Address via whatever utility they give you to do that with. *With comercial
    > grade printers you can do it with Telnet and a commandline.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    >

    > wrote in messagenews:20085610308sunseeker888@googlemail.com ...
    > > HI

    > > My Network Printer Ip keep changing since I installed *vista SP1 on all my
    > > home network. All my computer operate wirelessly now.

    > > The IP address keep changing a daily basis. I never used to have this
    > > problem before.

    > > My router is linksys WRT54G, it was working ok all the time with wifi
    > > capablity, my ip started changing last week for some reasons.

    > > How can I stop this daily change, I want to have a specific address, this
    > > is starting to get annoying, as I have to manually reset all the IP ports
    > > configuration on every computers.

    > > Thanks In advance

    > > Mathew- Hide quoted text -

    Which "should" be the recommended settings for any / every printer
    connected to a network.

+ Reply to Thread