Advice - Guest wireless internet access without file access - Wireless

This is a discussion on Advice - Guest wireless internet access without file access - Wireless ; I am a relative novice in the area of networking and would appreciate some help. I have a XP Home desktop connected via ethernet to the internet via ADSL2+ modem/Router (D-link DSL-G606T). I have added my kids PC and a ...

  1. Advice - Guest wireless internet access without file access

    I am a relative novice in the area of networking and would appreciate some
    help.

    I have a XP Home desktop connected via ethernet to the internet via ADSL2+
    modem/Router (D-link DSL-G606T). I have added my kids PC and a printer to the
    network via the ethernet ports and my Laptop (Vista Home Premium) connects
    wirelessly - all works great. I use WPA for the wireless security as I do use
    file sharing to enable central storage of personal files on the main PC.

    My question: Is it somehow possible to enable guests at our home to connect
    wirelessly to our internet connection without providing them access to my
    shared files, but still retain the file sharing I have?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Advice - Guest wireless internet access without file access

    Hi
    You ca buy a second Wireless Router and configure a segregated Network.
    Here is the principle, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Netorius77" wrote in message
    news7BE4E09-1532-4186-8315-5898C12DF644@microsoft.com...
    >I am a relative novice in the area of networking and would appreciate some
    > help.
    >
    > I have a XP Home desktop connected via ethernet to the internet via ADSL2+
    > modem/Router (D-link DSL-G606T). I have added my kids PC and a printer to
    > the
    > network via the ethernet ports and my Laptop (Vista Home Premium) connects
    > wirelessly - all works great. I use WPA for the wireless security as I do
    > use
    > file sharing to enable central storage of personal files on the main PC.
    >
    > My question: Is it somehow possible to enable guests at our home to
    > connect
    > wirelessly to our internet connection without providing them access to my
    > shared files, but still retain the file sharing I have?
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread