How to reconnect one computer to a network? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to reconnect one computer to a network? - Wireless ; I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all updates. Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore WinXP from a restoration CD. I don't want to create a new network ...

  1. How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all updates.
    Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore WinXP from a
    restoration CD.
    I don't want to create a new network for all 3 machine. How do I connect
    this new machine to Internet and reconnect it to my existing network?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

    --
    Ilya Zeldes
    Fort Myers, Florida

  2. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all updates.
    >Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore WinXP from a
    >restoration CD.
    > I don't want to create a new network for all 3 machine. How do I connect
    > this new machine to Internet and reconnect it to my existing network?
    > Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > --
    > Ilya Zeldes
    > Fort Myers, Florida

    the same way you connected it the first time.

  3. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    If I remember it, I would... I tried to use the wizard, but got nowhere...
    Ilya

    "Dave" wrote in message

    > "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >>I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all updates.
    >>Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore WinXP from a
    >>restoration CD.
    >> I don't want to create a new network for all 3 machine. How do I connect
    >> this new machine to Internet and reconnect it to my existing network?
    >> Thanks for your suggestions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ilya Zeldes
    >> Fort Myers, Florida
    >>

    > the same way you connected it the first time.

  4. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    There's almost always an icon down by the clock for the wireless adapter.
    Either open it or right-click on it and choose to view current wireless
    networks. When you see the list pick the proper "network" and connect to
    it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "ilyaz" wrote in message
    > If I remember it, I would... I tried to use the wizard, but got nowhere...
    > Ilya
    >
    > "Dave" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >>>I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all
    >>>updates. Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore
    >>>WinXP from a restoration CD.
    >>> I don't want to create a new network for all 3 machine. How do I connect
    >>> this new machine to Internet and reconnect it to my existing network?
    >>> Thanks for your suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ilya Zeldes
    >>> Fort Myers, Florida
    >>>

    >> the same way you connected it the first time.

  5. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    Phillip, thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that the setup on this
    machine is virgin. I just restored WinXP from a manufacturer restoration
    disk. There is NOTHING, but the WinXP itself. Everything must be reinstalled
    from the square one. I attempted to reinstall the PCI adapter, but the
    wizard would not do it. I think, the first step would be to connect this
    machine to the DSL modem directly, but it will require taking everything
    down and relocating it to another room. If I can avoid it somehow, I'd do...
    Ilya

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > There's almost always an icon down by the clock for the wireless adapter.
    > Either open it or right-click on it and choose to view current wireless
    > networks. When you see the list pick the proper "network" and connect to
    > it.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft,
    >
    > "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >> If I remember it, I would... I tried to use the wizard, but got
    >> nowhere...
    >> Ilya
    >>
    >> "Dave" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "ilyaz" wrote in message

    >>> the same way you connected it the first time.

  6. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    if you don't have the mfg cd for the wireless card use one of your other
    machines to go download the mfg installation files, put them on a cd, and
    install from that... and then save the cd so you can reinstall in the
    future.

    "ilyaz" wrote in message
    > Phillip, thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that the setup on this
    > machine is virgin. I just restored WinXP from a manufacturer restoration
    > disk. There is NOTHING, but the WinXP itself. Everything must be
    > reinstalled from the square one. I attempted to reinstall the PCI adapter,
    > but the wizard would not do it. I think, the first step would be to
    > connect this machine to the DSL modem directly, but it will require taking
    > everything down and relocating it to another room. If I can avoid it
    > somehow, I'd do...
    > Ilya
    >
    > "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    >> There's almost always an icon down by the clock for the wireless adapter.
    >> Either open it or right-click on it and choose to view current wireless
    >> networks. When you see the list pick the proper "network" and connect to
    >> it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phillip Windell
    >> www.wandtv.com
    >>
    >> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    >> Microsoft,
    >> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    >>
    >> "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >>> If I remember it, I would... I tried to use the wizard, but got
    >>> nowhere...
    >>> Ilya
    >>>
    >>> "Dave" wrote in message

  7. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    "ilyaz" wrote in message
    > Phillip, thanks for your suggestion. The problem is that the setup on this
    > machine is virgin. I just restored WinXP from a manufacturer restoration
    > disk. There is NOTHING, but the WinXP itself. Everything must be
    > reinstalled

    The main thing to do is to get internet connection thru your wireless
    connection. After that, you can get everything off of the internet.

    > I attempted to reinstall the PCI adapter, but the wizard would not do it.

    What device is that? Wireless network interface card?

    > I think, the first step would be to connect this machine to the DSL modem
    > directly,

    Or you can use one of the other 2 PCs to download WiFi card driver. Install
    WiFi driver and join your wireless network.

    > but it will require taking everything down and relocating it to another
    > room. If I can avoid it somehow, I'd do...

    That's doing it the hard way.

  8. Re: How to reconnect one computer to a network?

    Hi
    This page describes the general processes to make the network work.
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    This on specifically for Wireless, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ilyaz" wrote in message
    >I had a wireless network of 3 machine. All WinXP with SP2 and all updates.
    >Recently, I have to reformate a HD on one machine and restore WinXP from a
    >restoration CD.
    > I don't want to create a new network for all 3 machine. How do I connect
    > this new machine to Internet and reconnect it to my existing network?
    > Thanks for your suggestions.
    >
    > --
    > Ilya Zeldes
    > Fort Myers, Florida