wireless security question - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless security question - Wireless ; I've just recently networked my xbox 360 with my computer using a D-link router. I'm using a wired connection so i didn't set encryption on set up. Now i've just connected, wirelessly, to my sons PSP and it automatically detected ...

  1. wireless security question

    I've just recently networked my xbox 360 with my computer using a D-link
    router. I'm using a wired connection so i didn't set encryption on set up.
    Now i've just connected, wirelessly, to my sons PSP and it automatically
    detected my SSID. Does this mean the router is wirelessly 'active' and anyone
    can piggyback off me? And what about accessing anything i'm doing on my
    network? Would setting encryption rectify this or what should i do?

  2. Re: wireless security question

    You definitely need encryption or others can steal your service and
    possibly shared documents on computers. WPA2 is the best, followed
    by WPA. WEP is really poor security and can be easily broken.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: wireless security question

    Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "kaloochi" wrote in message
    > I've just recently networked my xbox 360 with my computer using a D-link
    > router. I'm using a wired connection so i didn't set encryption on set up.
    > Now i've just connected, wirelessly, to my sons PSP and it automatically
    > detected my SSID. Does this mean the router is wirelessly 'active' and
    > anyone
    > can piggyback off me? And what about accessing anything i'm doing on my
    > network? Would setting encryption rectify this or what should i do?

  4. Re: wireless security question

    IMHO:: Some simple things to increase security.

    At least try to increase your encryption to 128bit as a minimum. It wont
    stop people trying to break in but it will slow them down a little

    Change the password to access your router !!!!! If they have access to your
    wireless, they have access to your router and could wipe out the log files
    or perhaps lock you out altogether so you cant alter any settings including
    the new wireless key. DO NOT use things such as: names, admin, nimda, 1234,
    1111, 0000, your house number .... etc. As an example you need to look for
    something like the date (02May2008), or your birthday (22ndApril1966) ...
    you see the point of using numbers and letters ????

    Perhaps an alternative is to turn off 'SSID' broadcasts, I say this on the
    basis that if I can't see you, Im going to look for more visible targets.

    Go around your wireless devices and look for the 'mac' addresses, then edit
    your firewall in your BB router to allow access by the specified 'mac'
    addresses you have found on your devices. (can be tricky for the novice)

    Rename the wireless connection you have at the moment. This is a give away
    when I see wireless stations flying the ISP's brand name (2wire (bt), 3Com
    (sky), Netgear (virgin), HomeHub (bt) .... etc). It also gives clues as to
    the security level provided by default, as most home users dont bother
    messing and foolishly trust the broadband provider to look after them.

    Admitably wireless is very usefull (I use it myself), however if you can use
    network cable to connect devices in the same room ...... DO IT!

    Try turning down the wireless power if possible (usually a setting in the
    router). The less area you transmit over, the less likely you are of being
    picked up.

  5. Re: wireless security question

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 01:33:08 +0100, "Trespasser"
    wrote:

    >IMHO:: Some simple things to increase security.
    >
    >At least try to increase your encryption to 128bit as a minimum. It wont
    >stop people trying to break in but it will slow them down a little
    >
    >Change the password to access your router !!!!! If they have access to your
    >wireless, they have access to your router and could wipe out the log files
    >or perhaps lock you out altogether so you cant alter any settings including
    >the new wireless key. DO NOT use things such as: names, admin, nimda, 1234,
    >1111, 0000, your house number .... etc. As an example you need to look for
    >something like the date (02May2008), or your birthday (22ndApril1966) ...
    >you see the point of using numbers and letters ????
    >
    >Perhaps an alternative is to turn off 'SSID' broadcasts, I say this on the
    >basis that if I can't see you, Im going to look for more visible targets.
    >
    >Go around your wireless devices and look for the 'mac' addresses, then edit
    >your firewall in your BB router to allow access by the specified 'mac'
    >addresses you have found on your devices. (can be tricky for the novice)
    >
    >Rename the wireless connection you have at the moment. This is a give away
    >when I see wireless stations flying the ISP's brand name (2wire (bt), 3Com
    >(sky), Netgear (virgin), HomeHub (bt) .... etc). It also gives clues as to
    >the security level provided by default, as most home users dont bother
    >messing and foolishly trust the broadband provider to look after them.
    >
    >Admitably wireless is very usefull (I use it myself), however if you can use
    >network cable to connect devices in the same room ...... DO IT!
    >
    >Try turning down the wireless power if possible (usually a setting in the
    >router). The less area you transmit over, the less likely you are of being
    >picked up.

    Turning off SSID broadcasts is security by obscurity. Maybe you don't see
    someone with SSID broadcast disabled. Anybody worth fearing will see you
    though.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ling-ssid.html

    Also, remember that the people to be feared will have ultra sensitive receivers.
    Your turning your power down will inconvenience you more than the bad guys.

    The only real WiFi security is from using WPA or better, with a randomly
    generated key.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...e-protect.html

    Renaming the SSID to something a) unique and b) not relevant to your identity is
    a good idea though. If only for physical security.

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

+ Reply to Thread