Receiving 4bps? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Receiving 4bps? - Wireless ; I running XP and I have this TD-8810 modem http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=42 connected to the Linksys WRT54R router http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=3740141396B07 , While I’m networked in the Local Area Connection dialog box is showing me receiving 4bps even if the both computers networked are ...

  1. Receiving 4bps?

    I running XP and I have this TD-8810 modem
    http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=42 connected to the
    Linksys WRT54R router
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=3740141396B07,
    While I’m networked in the Local Area Connection dialog box is showing me
    receiving 4bps even if the both computers networked are idle, is this 4bps I
    receive while I have the computers networked coming from the broadband or is
    it just the computer talking to each other?

  2. Re: Receiving 4bps?

    If the computer is connected to the Router it would be the speed between the
    Router and the computer.
    If the connection is Wireless than pending on the environment many factor
    can cause low traffic.
    You did not provided many details about your system, but you should know
    that your modem is actually a combo Modem/Router, thus your Wireless Router
    should be connected as an Access Point (AP) otherwise you have double
    routing.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "MaKiN_BaCoN" wrote in message
    >I running XP and I have this TD-8810 modem
    > http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=42 connected to the
    > Linksys WRT54R router
    > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=3740141396B07,
    > While I’m networked in the Local Area Connection dialog box is showing me
    > receiving 4bps even if the both computers networked are idle, is this 4bps
    > receive while I have the computers networked coming from the broadband or
    > is
    > it just the computer talking to each other?

  3. Re: Receiving 4bps?

    Is it going to make a difference, because that page is hard to understand
    because the TD 8810 is not as user friendly as the Linksys. (it's a piece of
    crap if you want my opinion)
    I set this up myself without help from info I got off the net, I have never
    seen a wifi connected computer before I got this going and it took me days.
    If you could copy this and fill in the router name instead of first router
    second router?

    First Step: Plug a single computer to the second Router (make sure that
    the computer is configured to obtain DHCP automatically from the Router),
    change the IP address of the Router so that it's in the same subnet as the
    main Router (the one that is connected to the Internet Modem); give it an IP
    that doesn’t conflict with the main router's base IP address, or the DHCP
    server range. This will ensure that you can reach the admin server of the
    old router from any LAN machine, and that the Wireless Clients IPs are
    assigned correctly.
    Example:
    - Main Router’s base address is 192.168.1.1, with a DHCP server range of
    192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150
    - Set the Cable/DSL Router to (the one you're using as an Access Point) base
    address to any IP address between 192.168.1.151 to 192.168.1.250
    Second Step: Switch Off the DHCP on the Wireless Cable/DSL Router, and set
    to Off any filters or special settings that is On if it is used as the main
    Router.
    Plug the Wireless Router to the main Router. Regular Port to Regular Port,
    using crossover cable (or straight patch if one port is an Uplink).
    It might be easier
    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > If the computer is connected to the Router it would be the speed between the
    > Router and the computer.
    > If the connection is Wireless than pending on the environment many factor
    > can cause low traffic.
    > You did not provided many details about your system, but you should know
    > that your modem is actually a combo Modem/Router, thus your Wireless Router
    > should be connected as an Access Point (AP) otherwise you have double
    > routing.
    > Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "MaKiN_BaCoN" wrote in message
    > >I running XP and I have this TD-8810 modem
    > > http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=42 connected to the
    > > Linksys WRT54R router
    > > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=3740141396B07,
    > > While I’m networked in the Local Area Connection dialog box is showing me
    > > receiving 4bps even if the both computers networked are idle, is this 4bps
    > > receive while I have the computers networked coming from the broadband or
    > > is
    > > it just the computer talking to each other?

  4. Re: Receiving 4bps?

    I don't understand (speed between the Router and the computer) My speed is ok
    I get D/L's of up to 1.5mps

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > If the computer is connected to the Router it would be the > If the connection is Wireless than pending on the environment many factor
    > can cause low traffic.
    > You did not provided many details about your system, but you should know
    > that your modem is actually a combo Modem/Router, thus your Wireless Router
    > should be connected as an Access Point (AP) otherwise you have double
    > routing.
    > Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "MaKiN_BaCoN" wrote in message
    > >I running XP and I have this TD-8810 modem
    > > http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=42 connected to the
    > > Linksys WRT54R router
    > > http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=3740141396B07,
    > > While I’m networked in the Local Area Connection dialog box is showing me
    > > receiving 4bps even if the both computers networked are idle, is this 4bps
    > > receive while I have the computers networked coming from the broadband or
    > > is
    > > it just the computer talking to each other?

+ Reply to Thread