Wifi spots protection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wifi spots protection - Wireless ; Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning off file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe or airport because its not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as I've ...

  1. Wifi spots protection

    Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning off file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe or airport because its not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as I've never done that but now I'm curious. Does anyone know what he could possibly being talking about?

    Thanks,
    Wy

  2. Re: Wifi spots protection

    "Wyman" wrote in message

    > Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning

    off
    > file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe or

    airport because its
    > not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as I've never done that but

    now I'm
    > curious. Does anyone know what he could possibly being talking about?

    If a wireless network is not protected against
    intruders, anyone with a wireless modem who
    is within range can piggyback into the network to
    get free ISP services. When wireless networks
    were new, not many owners bothered about this.

    2. You and I can set / Network Properties on our
    PCs to enable or disable File Sharing (with or without
    password to get access.) If your PC is connected to
    anyone else's wireless network and your folders are
    set to Share with any user, then someone unknown
    to you can read (and possibly alter) your files.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Wifi spots protection

    take a look at
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...way-from-home/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  4. Re: Wifi spots protection

    In addition to the others suggestions I have some general guidance for both
    Vista and XP at the end of this page that may be of interest...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    "Wyman" wrote in message
    Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning off
    file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe or
    airport because its not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as I've
    never done that but now I'm curious. Does anyone know what he could
    possibly being talking about?

    Thanks,
    Wy

  5. Re: Wifi spots protection

    Wyman wrote:
    > Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning
    > off file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe
    > or airport because its not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as
    > I've never done that but now I'm curious. Does anyone know what he
    > could possibly being talking about?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wy

    In a home network, either wireless or wired, each of the clients is
    connected to a router. Ignoring user account names and passwords on the
    client computers and other security provisions afforded by NTFS, if
    "file and printer sharing" is enabled on each of the clients, all of the
    clients connected to the router can share files and printers with each
    other. That's one of the main reasons, in addition to sharing an
    Internet connection, that people set up home networks.

    Routers designed for hotspots (publicly accessible networks) usually are
    configured to isolate the clients from one another. This is because the
    point of these installations is *only* to share an Internet connection,
    and *not* to share resources between connected clients.

    If the router at a wifi hotspot is *not* configured to isolate clients,
    then each of the connected clients can "see" the others. Whether someone
    in such a situation can actually access files on someone else's computer
    depends in part on whether file and printer sharing is enabled on the
    "target" computer (see the many threads in this NG and in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web for complaints about "why can't I
    share files"). However, if file and printer sharing on the "target"
    computer is disabled, it makes it that much harder for someone to gain
    access to its files.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  6. Re: Wifi spots protection

    "Lem" schreef in bericht
    > Wyman wrote:
    > > Someone was trying to explain something to me about disabling or turning
    > > off file/folder sharing when I'm in wifi spot such as an internet cafe
    > > or airport because its not safe. I didn't know what he talking about as
    > > I've never done that but now I'm curious. Does anyone know what he
    > > could possibly being talking about?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Wy
    > >

    > In a home network, either wireless or wired, each of the clients is
    > connected to a router. Ignoring user account names and passwords on the
    > client computers and other security provisions afforded by NTFS, if
    > "file and printer sharing" is enabled on each of the clients, all of the
    > clients connected to the router can share files and printers with each
    > other. That's one of the main reasons, in addition to sharing an
    > Internet connection, that people set up home networks.
    >
    > Routers designed for hotspots (publicly accessible networks) usually are
    > configured to isolate the clients from one another. This is because the
    > point of these installations is *only* to share an Internet connection,
    > and *not* to share resources between connected clients.
    >
    > If the router at a wifi hotspot is *not* configured to isolate clients,
    > then each of the connected clients can "see" the others. Whether someone
    > in such a situation can actually access files on someone else's computer
    > depends in part on whether file and printer sharing is enabled on the
    > "target" computer (see the many threads in this NG and in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web for complaints about "why can't I
    > share files"). However, if file and printer sharing on the "target"
    > computer is disabled, it makes it that much harder for someone to gain
    > access to its files.

    And I assume here you mean only to the shared files?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk