Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network - Wireless ; I have an existing wireless network in my house. I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most of these ...

  1. Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    I have an existing wireless network in my house.

    I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most of
    these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a wireless
    client on my network when I'm done repairing them.

    I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of buying
    a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    connect it to the wireless network in the house.

    I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar product.

    Does this sound like it makes any sense??

    Thanks for any help.
    Tony

  2. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    On Apr 25, 7:57*am, Tony V wrote:
    > I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >
    > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most of
    > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a wireless
    > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >
    > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of buying
    > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >
    > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar product.
    >
    > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Tony

    I current have an SMC wireless router (SMCWBR14T) which seems to be
    able to "join" any existing wireless network and provides 4 base Rj-45
    Ethernet ports.

    Here is the "feature" description:

    The Wireless Distribution System (WDS) provides a means to extend the
    range of a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN). WDS allows a wireless
    router to establish a direct link to other wireless base stations and
    to allows stations to roam freely within the area covered by the WDS.

  3. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    On Apr 25, 7:57*am, Tony V wrote:
    > I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >
    > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most of
    > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a wireless
    > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >
    > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of buying
    > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >
    > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar product.
    >
    > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Tony

    Second, you can look here: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

  4. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    Bridges operate in pairs,...you have to buy two.
    You don't add them to the wireless network,...you add them to the Wired
    Network.

    Host machines do not connect to Bridges directly (unless they have a built
    in Switch) so you have to connect each bridge in the existing wired LAN at a
    Switch, which could be the built in switch at the "router" at one end and a
    standalone Switch at the "repair shop" end.

    I know absolutely nothing about the WET54G specifically,...I can only speak
    "generically" about the technology and the principles.

    Personally I would just run an Ethernet Cable to the Shop and forget it.
    You can run them up to 100 meters (300 feet),...which is about double the
    distance you get with wireless devices if you want "good" wireless
    performance. It is a lot cheaper than two Bridges and another Switch.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Tony V" wrote in message
    news65E488D-5F0F-4ADA-BBC4-76DDF19073CE@microsoft.com...
    >I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >
    > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most
    > of
    > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a
    > wireless
    > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >
    > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of
    > buying
    > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >
    > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar
    > product.
    >
    > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Tony

  5. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    "Tony V" wrote in message
    news65E488D-5F0F-4ADA-BBC4-76DDF19073CE@microsoft.com...
    >I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >
    > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most
    > of
    > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a
    > wireless
    > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >
    > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of
    > buying
    > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >
    > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar
    > product.
    >
    > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Tony

    I'm doing this with a WRT54GL and DD-WRT v23 SP2 Firmware as a game adapter
    for my brothers xbox.
    I have the box configured as a Client Bridge that connects to his main
    wireless router which supplies his internet.

    Doing this will basically give you a four port switch in your shop to hookup
    whatever devices you want and move data between then and the wireless will
    simply bridge you as a client to your exsisting router for internet and
    access to recources on that network.

    That said you do not have to use the linksys hardware DD-WRT is supported by
    many devices. www.dd-wrt.com

    Adair

  6. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    Adair Winter wrote:
    > "Tony V" wrote in message
    > news65E488D-5F0F-4ADA-BBC4-76DDF19073CE@microsoft.com...
    >> I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >>
    >> I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    >> Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most
    >> of
    >> these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a
    >> wireless
    >> client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >>
    >> I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    >> have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of
    >> buying
    >> a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    >> connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >>
    >> I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar
    >> product.
    >>
    >> Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >> Tony

    > I'm doing this with a WRT54GL and DD-WRT v23 SP2 Firmware as a game adapter
    > for my brothers xbox.
    > I have the box configured as a Client Bridge that connects to his main
    > wireless router which supplies his internet.
    >
    > Doing this will basically give you a four port switch in your shop to hookup
    > whatever devices you want and move data between then and the wireless will
    > simply bridge you as a client to your exsisting router for internet and
    > access to recources on that network.
    >
    > That said you do not have to use the linksys hardware DD-WRT is supported by
    > many devices. www.dd-wrt.com
    >
    > Adair

    I have a similar setup and it works well. If you want to use a Linksys
    WRT54xx router as the bridge device, buy a v.3 or v.4 WRT54G from eBay
    or a WRT54GL (the Linux-based model) if buying new. Don't get a WRT54G
    v.5 or more recent.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  7. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    Hi
    Your plan should work.
    If you are incline so, Lem's suggestion would be less expensive, and more
    flexible with the Wireless security.
    Other options, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tony V" wrote in message
    news65E488D-5F0F-4ADA-BBC4-76DDF19073CE@microsoft.com...
    >I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    >
    > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most
    > of
    > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a
    > wireless
    > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    >
    > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of
    > buying
    > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    >
    > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar
    > product.
    >
    > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Tony

  8. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    Thanks for everyone's help.
    So to recap, I need to buy a wireless bridge. I then configure it using a PC
    that's physically connected to my wireless router. Then after configuring it
    using the CD that comes with it, I can disconnect the wireless bridge and
    take it to any part of the house and plug an Ethernet device into it (such as
    a wired PC).

    Correct? Or do I need two wireless bridges--one cabled to my wireless router
    and one that's in a remote (my workshop) where I can plug in wired computers.

    Alos, should I buy a bridge or access point? Is there any advantage for the
    scenario that I have??

    Thanks!
    Tony

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Your plan should work.
    > If you are incline so, Lem's suggestion would be less expensive, and more
    > flexible with the Wireless security.
    > Other options, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Tony V" wrote in message
    > news65E488D-5F0F-4ADA-BBC4-76DDF19073CE@microsoft.com...
    > >I have an existing wireless network in my house.
    > >
    > > I want to have a wired connection in my workshop so that I can get an
    > > Internet connection for PCs that I repair for my friends and family. Most
    > > of
    > > these PCs use a wired connection so I don't want to turn them into a
    > > wireless
    > > client on my network when I'm done repairing them.
    > >
    > > I don't want to drag the repaired PC up to the router and plug it (which I
    > > have been doing) and I don't want to run any cable. I was thinking of
    > > buying
    > > a wireless bridge to basically make a wired connection in my workshop and
    > > connect it to the wireless network in the house.
    > >
    > > I was thinking about something like the Linksys WET54G or a similar
    > > product.
    > >
    > > Does this sound like it makes any sense??
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help.
    > > Tony

  9. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:46:24 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    wrote:

    >Bridges operate in pairs,...you have to buy two.
    >You don't add them to the wireless network,...you add them to the Wired
    >Network.
    >
    >Host machines do not connect to Bridges directly (unless they have a built
    >in Switch) so you have to connect each bridge in the existing wired LAN at a
    >Switch, which could be the built in switch at the "router" at one end and a
    >standalone Switch at the "repair shop" end.
    >
    >I know absolutely nothing about the WET54G specifically,...I can only speak
    >"generically" about the technology and the principles.
    >
    >Personally I would just run an Ethernet Cable to the Shop and forget it.
    >You can run them up to 100 meters (300 feet),...which is about double the
    >distance you get with wireless devices if you want "good" wireless
    >performance. It is a lot cheaper than two Bridges and another Switch.

    Phillip,

    If the shop is a separate building, that might not be a good idea. Google for
    "ground potential difference" if you don't know what I'm discussing.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007...-ethernet.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

  10. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:46:24 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    >
    > wrote:

    > If the shop is a separate building, that might not be a good idea. Google
    > for
    > "ground potential difference" if you don't know what I'm discussing.
    >
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007...-ethernet.html

    Yes, I'm aware of the potential for a "ground potential" difference between
    buildings. We are an NBC affiliate TV station, we have to be careful of
    that too. As far as wireless links we have two primary ones running over
    7gig Microwaves,..one 15 miles, one about 35 miles. Then we have two truck
    mounted mobile ones. However none of those are carrying Ethernet, but the
    radio technology is the same.

    We have one stationary Ethernet capable one but it is not in use right
    now,..where we wanted to use it there is too much interferrence from other
    systems where we have to aim it. It might have worked if we lift it another
    150 feet or so to get physically above the others that are in the way but
    then the additional 150 feet vertical distance becomes a problem for us,..so
    we may never use it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

  11. Re: Adding a Bridge to a Wireless Network

    "Tony V" wrote in message
    > Thanks for everyone's help.
    > So to recap, I need to buy a wireless bridge. I then configure it using a
    > PC
    > that's physically connected to my wireless router. Then after configuring
    > it
    > using the CD that comes with it, I can disconnect the wireless bridge and
    > take it to any part of the house and plug an Ethernet device into it (such
    > as
    > a wired PC).

    Theoretically, yes.

    > Correct? Or do I need two wireless bridges--one cabled to my wireless
    > router
    > and one that's in a remote (my workshop) where I can plug in wired
    > computers.

    As has become obvious by this thread,..the home-user/home-office "consumer"
    grade products often package multiple functions in the same physical "box"
    to make them low price for the type of buyer they are targeting.
    Commercial/Industrial grade equipment tends to be one functionality per
    physical device so that each device can be designed in a more dedicated
    "focused" way,...which costs more. For example my pair of Tranzeo Wireless
    Bridges run on a 5ghz microwave and can shoot 30 miles and will cost a whole
    lot more than you are likely to spend,..yet there "ain't no way" you are
    going to plug a handfull of host PCs into them without a Switch in
    between,...they have no built in switch and are certainly not comparable to
    a "wireless router" you'd get at Bestbuy.

    So what you specifically buy will determine how many you need and how you
    deploy it. The folks here have suggested several models of stuff, so you
    probably have to investigate each one specifically and see what will work
    best for you.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com