Setting up new wireless connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Setting up new wireless connection - Wireless ; A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me to set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I ...

  1. Setting up new wireless connection

    A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me to
    set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his
    daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I still set up the SSID and the
    run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
    someone need to set it up there? I guess my main concern is when I unplug
    the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
    lose all the saved settings.

    Any information is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Wy

  2. Re: Setting up new wireless connection

    On Apr 23, 1:18*pm, Wyman G.
    wrote:
    > A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me to
    > set it up wireless which I can do. *He will be shipping the laptop to his
    > daughter in Atlanta. *My question is: *Can I still set up the SSID andthe
    > run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
    > someone need to set it up there? *I guess my main concern is when I unplug
    > the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
    > lose all the saved settings.
    >
    > Any information is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wy

    You can set up the SSID, wireless channel, WPA key, router password
    and network IP address range before sending to Atlanta. The only
    setting that must be down in Atlanta is the set up for the Internet
    service. If you know that the Internet service would be based on DHCP
    (usually for cable TV style Internet service) you can set up this easy
    anywhere else.

  3. Re: Setting up new wireless connection

    A router should hold settings through power outages, being
    unplugged, etc.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  4. Re: Setting up new wireless connection

    Hi
    The LAN side and the Wireless of the Router would hold.
    The WAN side (Internet) would have to be configured according to the nature
    of the connection, and or, ISP's instructions.
    P.S. Configure the Router to work on Wireless channel 11 to reduce conflict
    with other neighborhood Routers that are probably set to default 6.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Wyman G." wrote in message
    >A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me
    > set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his
    > daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I still set up the SSID and the
    > run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
    > someone need to set it up there? I guess my main concern is when I unplug
    > the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
    > lose all the saved settings.
    >
    > Any information is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wy

  5. Re: Setting up new wireless connection

    Thanks for the all the replies!

    > Hi
    > The LAN side and the Wireless of the Router would hold.
    > The WAN side (Internet) would have to be configured according to the
    > nature of the connection, and or, ISP's instructions.
    > P.S. Configure the Router to work on Wireless channel 11 to reduce
    > conflict with other neighborhood Routers that are probably set to default
    > 6.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Wyman G." wrote in message
    >>A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me
    >> set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his
    >> daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I still set up the SSID and
    >> the
    >> run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or
    >> does
    >> someone need to set it up there? I guess my main concern is when I
    >> unplug
    >> the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition
    >> and
    >> lose all the saved settings.
    >>
    >> Any information is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,