Ethernet Calble/LAN not working - Wireless

This is a discussion on Ethernet Calble/LAN not working - Wireless ; Hi: When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and plug-into the PC with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port. One thing I noticed is that green/orange light ...

  1. Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Hi:
    When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and
    plug-into the PC with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.

    One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    my LAN-connection is NOT working?

    Any help on this regard would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    On Apr 21, 7:18*pm, "MapleE." wrote:
    > Hi:
    > When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and
    > plug-into the PC with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    > the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port. *
    >
    > One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    > my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >
    > Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Un-plugging and re-plugging can "break" cables. How long have you
    being do this?

    What or to where, is ether "other" end of the cable connected to/ It
    should be a routerm switch or hub.

  3. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Hi
    Check the viability of the Network settings on the XP Computer.
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "MapleE." wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and plug-into the PC
    > with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    > the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.
    > One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    > my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >
    > Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

  4. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Thanks for the response.

    The PC with XP is fairly new and have been trying to establish
    Internet Connection since two days ago, last Saturday.

    In regard to 'other end' is hooked up modem/router combo that
    my ISP, Comcast has been providing.

    As to 'break' Ehternet Cable, ... it works, when I re-hooked with
    the PC with Vista, then in my guess, ... it's my ISP that has limited
    connections, 5(five) connections allowed.

    My most concern is that, ... How to abandon connection with the PC
    with Vista in order to establish a connection onto the PC with XP?

    Thanks,

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    On Apr 21, 7:18 pm, "MapleE." wrote:
    > Hi:
    > When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and
    > plug-into the PC with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    > the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.
    >
    > One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    > my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >
    > Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Un-plugging and re-plugging can "break" cables. How long have you
    being do this?

    What or to where, is ether "other" end of the cable connected to/ It
    should be a routerm switch or hub.

  5. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Thanks for the response along with the web-site.

    When I looked at Device Manger, there is 'yellow' question
    mark on the device, then I uninstalled it.

    The problem seems to me that there are 5(five) connections limited
    in my ISP, Comcast. Then, first, I need to abandon a connection on
    the PC with Vista and afterwards, I have to establish Internet Connection to
    the PC with XP.

    Is there any good web-site for this issue to resolve?

    Thanks,

    > Hi
    > Check the viability of the Network settings on the XP Computer.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "MapleE." wrote in message
    >> Hi:
    >> When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and plug-into the PC
    >> with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    >> the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.
    >> One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    >> my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >>
    >> Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

  6. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Hi
    To share a single connection between few computers you need to install a
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router.
    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet connection; it is short and to the point.

    The pages were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the specific
    choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same.

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105
    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=48
    What do I need for wireless networking? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122
    The whole thing should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "MapleE." wrote in message
    > Thanks for the response along with the web-site.
    >
    > When I looked at Device Manger, there is 'yellow' question
    > mark on the device, then I uninstalled it.
    >
    > The problem seems to me that there are 5(five) connections limited
    > in my ISP, Comcast. Then, first, I need to abandon a connection on
    > the PC with Vista and afterwards, I have to establish Internet Connection
    > to the PC with XP.
    >
    > Is there any good web-site for this issue to resolve?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Check the viability of the Network settings on the XP Computer.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "MapleE." wrote in message
    >>> Hi:
    >>> When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and plug-into the
    >>> PC with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    >>> the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.
    >>> One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    >>> my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >>>
    >>> Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

  7. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    "MapleE." wrote in message
    > In regard to 'other end' is hooked up modem/router combo that
    > my ISP, Comcast has been providing.
    >
    > As to 'break' Ehternet Cable, ... it works, when I re-hooked with
    > the PC with Vista, then in my guess, ... it's my ISP that has limited
    > connections, 5(five) connections allowed.

    How many PCs do you have? How many are connected to the internet at the same
    time? I doubt Comcast limit the number of connections.

    > My most concern is that, ... How to abandon connection with the PC
    > with Vista in order to establish a connection onto the PC with XP?

    You already have a router. You should be able to have multiple PCs connected
    to the internet at the same time without disconnecting any of them to have
    another PC connected.

  8. Re: Ethernet Calble/LAN not working

    Update:
    It may be silly to post this, however just in case someone also would face
    this
    sort of dilenma, ...

    A Port/Slot of LAN where Ethernet Cable sitting was for some reason NOT
    functionable.
    After all, I purchased the PC with XP as 'Re-conditioned,' then it has
    something to do
    with this issue. However, I, luckily was able to get a connection by using
    'old-school'
    Linsky Adaptor which I got when I first started to subscibe my ISP, Comcast.

    According to a tech.guy who helped me set-up, the 'old-fashioned' Linsky
    Adaptor is
    better suitable to the XP/Media Center over Linsky-G with Speed, because
    there is stable
    foot with a tiny-antenna which reminds me 'tiny box' with antenna.

    Thanks all for your help and concern.

    "MapleE." wrote in message
    > Hi:
    > When I un-plug ethernet cable from the PC with Vista and plug-into the PC
    > with XP, it says, .... Unplug Cable, although
    > the Cable is firmly plugged into the Ethernet Port.
    > One thing I noticed is that green/orange light did not light-up, hence
    > my LAN-connection is NOT working?
    >
    > Any help on this regard would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread