Wireless access point - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless access point - Wireless ; I have a desktop and a laptop, both running XP and up to date with XP updates. I want set up a wireless network using a flashdrive. I have a wireless adsl gateway (acts as the modem and wireless router). ...

  1. Wireless access point

    I have a desktop and a laptop, both running XP and up to date with XP
    updates. I want set up a wireless network using a flashdrive. I have a
    wireless adsl gateway (acts as the modem and wireless router). But there is
    no usb port to plug in the flash drive. Can I start the process on the
    desktop, then use the flash drive on the laptop and manually set the gateway?
    If so, do I do that before I plug the flash drive into the laptop? Any
    assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  2. Re: Wireless access point

    On Apr 20, 3:06*pm, Ogrish wrote:
    > I have a desktop and a laptop, both running XP and up to date with XP
    > updates. *I want set up a wireless network using a flashdrive. *I havea
    > wireless adsl gateway (acts as the modem and wireless router). *But there is
    > no usb port to plug in the flash drive. *Can I start the process on the
    > desktop, then use the flash drive on the laptop and manually set the gateway?
    > *If so, do I do that before I plug the flash drive into the laptop? *Any
    > assistance will be greatly appreciated. *Thank you.

    You do not need any "external" drive to set up a networ router,
    including wireless access poits / routers. You could us a flash drive
    in order to "copy" the settings when you have completed the first PC
    that accesses the router / AP in order to compete the set up the other
    PCs.

  3. Re: Wireless access point

    Hi
    Actually you should start with configuring the Network on the Router via
    wire connection and then configure the individual computers accordingly.
    There is No need for flash drive manual configuration is just as easy.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ogrish" wrote in message
    >I have a desktop and a laptop, both running XP and up to date with XP
    > updates. I want set up a wireless network using a flashdrive. I have a
    > wireless adsl gateway (acts as the modem and wireless router). But there
    > is
    > no usb port to plug in the flash drive. Can I start the process on the
    > desktop, then use the flash drive on the laptop and manually set the
    > gateway?
    > If so, do I do that before I plug the flash drive into the laptop? Any
    > assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread