Wireless connection disconnects randomly - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless connection disconnects randomly - Wireless ; I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router. I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding on networking in general. For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and reconnects ...

  1. Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding on
    networking in general.

    For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    changed the unit but the problem still persists.

    Any ideas?

    Roger Mantle
    --
    Extra Income - Ask me how.

  2. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    You might be getting interference from another nearby wireless network. I
    had a similar issue with my wife's wireless XP Pro desktop when a neighbor
    moved in and came up on the same channel I was on. I had to move to Channel
    9 from Channel 1. If your on the default channel, many times Channel 6, you
    might try 1 or 11. If those are used you might try others. Unless you run a
    Netstumbler scan, or similar software, its probably going to be trial and
    error until you find a clear channel.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    "Dreamweaver" wrote in message
    >I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding
    > on
    > networking in general.
    >
    > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > changed the unit but the problem still persists.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Roger Mantle
    > --
    > Extra Income - Ask me how.

  3. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    Hi
    If Al's suggestion (above) did not solve the problem.
    Try to unistall Network Magic and configure the Wireledss Mnaualy.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Dreamweaver" wrote in message
    >I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding
    > on
    > networking in general.
    >
    > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > changed the unit but the problem still persists.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Roger Mantle
    > --
    > Extra Income - Ask me how.

  4. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    On Apr 18, 7:32*am, Dreamweaver
    wrote:
    > I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding on
    > networking in general.
    >
    > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > changed the unit but the problem still persists.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Roger Mantle
    > --
    > Extra Income - Ask me how.

    Unfortunately, you have not given any information concerning the
    wireless network adapter on the PC that is using XP. When using
    wireless networking, you need a wireless router (ZyXEL) and a wireless
    network adapter at the PC. The majority of wireless connection
    problems are at the PC end and not at most routers.

  5. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    Thanks for the reply. I changed it to channel 1 but I still have the same
    problem.
    --
    Extra Income - Ask me how.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > You might be getting interference from another nearby wireless network. I
    > had a similar issue with my wife's wireless XP Pro desktop when a neighbor
    > moved in and came up on the same channel I was on. I had to move to Channel
    > 9 from Channel 1. If your on the default channel, many times Channel 6, you
    > might try 1 or 11. If those are used you might try others. Unless you run a
    > Netstumbler scan, or similar software, its probably going to be trial and
    > error until you find a clear channel.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
    >
    > "Dreamweaver" wrote in message
    > >I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding
    > > on
    > > networking in general.
    > >
    > > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > > changed the unit but the problem still persists.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Roger Mantle
    > > --
    > > Extra Income - Ask me how.

  6. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    Hi,

    The adapter I am using is a MRI WL004 which seemed to work happily with the
    ZyXEL router until a couple of months ago.
    --
    Extra Income - Ask me how.

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Apr 18, 7:32 am, Dreamweaver
    > wrote:
    > > I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding on
    > > networking in general.
    > >
    > > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > > changed the unit but the problem still persists.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Roger Mantle
    > > --
    > > Extra Income - Ask me how.

    > Unfortunately, you have not given any information concerning the
    > wireless network adapter on the PC that is using XP. When using
    > wireless networking, you need a wireless router (ZyXEL) and a wireless
    > network adapter at the PC. The majority of wireless connection
    > problems are at the PC end and not at most routers.

  7. Re: Wireless connection disconnects randomly

    On Apr 19, 5:20*am, Dreamweaver
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The adapter I am using is a MRI WL004 which seemed to work happily with the
    > ZyXEL router until a couple of months ago.
    > --
    > Extra Income - Ask me how.
    >

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Apr 18, 7:32 am, Dreamweaver
    > > wrote:
    > > > I am using XP Pro SP2 and a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-T1 Modem/Router.
    > > > I am also using Network Magic which compensates my lack of understanding on
    > > > networking in general.

    > > > For the last couple of months my wireless connection disconnects and
    > > > reconnects 10 - 15 times a day. The problem was reported to ZyXEL who have
    > > > changed the unit but the problem still persists.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > > Roger Mantle
    > > > --
    > > > Extra Income - Ask me how.

    > > Unfortunately, you have not given any information concerning the
    > > wireless network adapter on the PC that is using XP. *When using
    > > wireless networking, you need a wireless router (ZyXEL) and a wireless
    > > network adapter at the PC. *The majority of wireless connection
    > > problems are at the PC end and not at most routers.- Hide quoted text -

    A quick scan search of the web seems to indicate that this adapter is
    a USB model. Is this right?

    I experienced this last year with both my SMC and TRENDNet wireless
    adapters. They disconected from my wireless network and then either
    never found it or did not find any wireless networks. Only removing
    the adapters (Safely Remove icon) or a reboot got it back. Turned out
    my USB ports were the cause. All my "other" USB devices worked
    correectly, without problems. I looked at more details on this and my
    USB 2.0 ports were based on ALi controller chips. I foiund several
    known problems on this chip controller and all posted "work arounds"
    did not help. Fortunately I was able to replace my USB 2.0 ports
    since they are on a PCI add-on card. I got my self a card based on
    NEC chip controller (Belkin) and my problem disappeared.

    Check your USB ports.

+ Reply to Thread