re-installing wireless printer everytime - Wireless

This is a discussion on re-installing wireless printer everytime - Wireless ; I have been able to set up and print wirelessly from my laptop to a printer attached to my desktop, but I lose the connection after only a few print jobs. The only remedy I've found is to delete the ...

  1. re-installing wireless printer everytime

    I have been able to set up and print wirelessly from my laptop to a printer
    attached to my desktop, but I lose the connection after only a few print
    jobs. The only remedy I've found is to delete the printer and
    restart/reinstall the printer. Is there some setting I can use to prevent
    losing my connection everytime...frustrating.

  2. Re: re-installing wireless printer everytime

    How is the printer set up for the wireless networking?

    Do you have a wireless router or are you trying to access your desktop directly?

    Does your printer come with wireless networking "built-in" directly from the
    manufacturer (either inside or with certified add-on modules?)

    Do you have any additional wireless problems?

    On 18/04/2008 Adam wrote:
    >I have been able to set up and print wirelessly from my laptop to a printer
    >attached to my desktop, but I lose the connection after only a few print
    >jobs. The only remedy I've found is to delete the printer and
    >restart/reinstall the printer. Is there some setting I can use to prevent
    >losing my connection everytime...frustrating.

  3. Re: re-installing wireless printer everytime

    I am on a high speed cable modem (motorola) which is attached to a desktop pc
    and a Linksys wireless router. I've set up my desktop to share the attached
    printer and filesharing also. I have pretty reliable internet connection to
    my laptop, although the connection speed fluctuates quite a bit (between 1.0
    and 54 Mbps) sometimes. I'm using a Lexmark 4200 all-in-one
    printer/scanner/fax that is hooked up to the desktop via a usb and I don't
    think it has any wireless capability. Thanks for the help BTW..this is just a
    frustrating prob.
    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > How is the printer set up for the wireless networking?
    >
    > Do you have a wireless router or are you trying to access your desktop directly?
    >
    > Does your printer come with wireless networking "built-in" directly from the
    > manufacturer (either inside or with certified add-on modules?)
    >
    > Do you have any additional wireless problems?
    >

    > On 18/04/2008 Adam wrote:
    > >I have been able to set up and print wirelessly from my laptop to a printer
    > >attached to my desktop, but I lose the connection after only a few print
    > >jobs. The only remedy I've found is to delete the printer and
    > >restart/reinstall the printer. Is there some setting I can use to prevent
    > >losing my connection everytime...frustrating.

  4. Re: re-installing wireless printer everytime

    correction: I have a NETGEAR wireless router

    "Adam" wrote:

    > I am on a high speed cable modem (motorola) which is attached to a desktop pc
    > and a Linksys wireless router. I've set up my desktop to share the attached
    > printer and filesharing also. I have pretty reliable internet connection to
    > my laptop, although the connection speed fluctuates quite a bit (between 1.0
    > and 54 Mbps) sometimes. I'm using a Lexmark 4200 all-in-one
    > printer/scanner/fax that is hooked up to the desktop via a usb and I don't
    > think it has any wireless capability. Thanks for the help BTW..this is just a
    > frustrating prob.
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    >
    > > How is the printer set up for the wireless networking?
    > >
    > > Do you have a wireless router or are you trying to access your desktop directly?
    > >
    > > Does your printer come with wireless networking "built-in" directly from the
    > > manufacturer (either inside or with certified add-on modules?)
    > >
    > > Do you have any additional wireless problems?
    > >

    > > On 18/04/2008 Adam wrote:
    > > >I have been able to set up and print wirelessly from my laptop to a printer
    > > >attached to my desktop, but I lose the connection after only a few print
    > > >jobs. The only remedy I've found is to delete the printer and
    > > >restart/reinstall the printer. Is there some setting I can use to prevent
    > > >losing my connection everytime...frustrating.

  5. Re: re-installing wireless printer everytime

    On Apr 22, 10:34*am, Adam wrote:
    > correction: I have a NETGEAR wireless router
    >

    > "Adam" wrote:
    > > I am on a high speed cable modem (motorola) which is attached to a desktop pc
    > > and a Linksys wireless router. I've set up my desktop to share the attached
    > > printer and filesharing also. I have pretty reliable internet connectionto
    > > my laptop, although the connection speed fluctuates quite a bit (between1.0
    > > and 54 Mbps) sometimes. I'm using a Lexmark 4200 all-in-one
    > > printer/scanner/fax that is hooked up to the desktop via a usb and I don't
    > > think it has any wireless capability. Thanks for the help BTW..this is just a
    > > frustrating prob.
    > > "smlunatick" wrote:

    > > > How is the printer set up for the wireless networking? *

    > > > Do you have a wireless router or are you trying to access your desktopdirectly?

    > > > Does your printer come with wireless networking "built-in" directly from the
    > > > manufacturer (either inside or with certified add-on modules?)

    > > > Do you have any additional wireless problems?

    Check on the Desktop and turn off "Allow the computer to turn of this
    device to save power..." for the USB ports that the lexmark is
    connected to.

  6. Re: re-installing wireless printer everytime

    I checked all the options and advanced options on my desktop ports and I
    don't see an option for "turning off power to this device" The printer power
    stays on constantly so I dont think thats the issue anyway. I have no problem
    printing from the desktop pc, just the wireless laptop.

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Apr 22, 10:34 am, Adam wrote:
    > > correction: I have a NETGEAR wireless router
    > >

    > > "Adam" wrote:
    > > > I am on a high speed cable modem (motorola) which is attached to a desktop pc
    > > > and a Linksys wireless router. I've set up my desktop to share the attached
    > > > printer and filesharing also. I have pretty reliable internet connection to
    > > > my laptop, although the connection speed fluctuates quite a bit (between 1.0
    > > > and 54 Mbps) sometimes. I'm using a Lexmark 4200 all-in-one
    > > > printer/scanner/fax that is hooked up to the desktop via a usb and I don't
    > > > think it has any wireless capability. Thanks for the help BTW..this is just a
    > > > frustrating prob.

    > Check on the Desktop and turn off "Allow the computer to turn of this
    > device to save power..." for the USB ports that the lexmark is
    > connected to.

+ Reply to Thread