Which is more secure setting ? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Which is more secure setting ? - Wireless ; Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to which is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and WPA2 Also if anyone could explain ...

  1. Which is more secure setting ?

    Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to which
    is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and WPA2

    Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I set
    mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES

    If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection

    Thanks

  2. Re: Which is more secure setting ?

    WPA2 is more secure. TRIP and AES are two methods that can be used by the
    802.11i standard and combines two techniques. I beleive AES is
    a higher level of security compared to the more widely deployed TKIP
    encryption. This search result may help.

    Wireless Security OptionsWireless Security Options. When setup wireless
    security, you may have many options. The below lists the wireless from the
    weakest to the strongest ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/wirel...ityoptions.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Johnnyboy" wrote in message
    > Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
    > which
    > is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
    > WPA2
    >

    > Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
    > set
    > mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
    >
    > If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Which is more secure setting ?

    Thanks . I appreciated .

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > WPA2 is more secure. TRIP and AES are two methods that can be used by the
    > 802.11i standard and combines two techniques. I beleive AES is
    > a higher level of security compared to the more widely deployed TKIP
    > encryption. This search result may help.
    >

    > Wireless Security OptionsWireless Security Options. When setup wireless
    > security, you may have many options. The below lists the wireless from the
    > weakest to the strongest ...
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/wirel...ityoptions.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Johnnyboy" wrote in message
    > > Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
    > > which
    > > is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
    > > WPA2
    > >

    > > Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
    > > set
    > > mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
    > >
    > > If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: Which is more secure setting ?

    Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Johnnyboy" wrote in message
    > Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
    > which
    > is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
    > WPA2
    >

    > Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
    > set
    > mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
    >
    > If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
    >
    > Thanks

  5. Re: Which is more secure setting ?

    I wonder how many times you've used this template (or copy/paste)
    :-)

    > Hi
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Johnnyboy" wrote in message
    >> Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
    >> which
    >> is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
    >> WPA2
    >>

    >> Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
    >> set
    >> mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
    >>
    >> If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
    >>
    >> Thanks

  6. Re: Which is more secure setting ?

    Seen this "dozen" of times and the wireless (WiFi) security has not have any
    newel security level yet!

    Unfortunately, spelling still has problems.

+ Reply to Thread