Netgear Rangemax 240 DHCP DNS ? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Netgear Rangemax 240 DHCP DNS ? - Wireless ; Hi, I have the above wireless router. I have a problem which DHCP. My PC can see and get an IP,etc. from the router through DHCP. My problem is that my PC shows a DNS address of the router, so ...

  1. Netgear Rangemax 240 DHCP DNS ?

    Hi,

    I have the above wireless router. I have a problem which DHCP. My PC
    can see and get an IP,etc. from the router through DHCP. My problem is
    that my PC shows a DNS address of the router, so I can not connect to
    the internet if I use DHCP. I connect just fine if I use a static DNS
    address. Does anyone know what is wrong. Where or how do I setup DNS
    forwarding?

    Thank in advance for your help,

    John

  2. Re: Netgear Rangemax 240 DHCP DNS ?

    On Apr 16, 9:12*pm, John wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the above wireless router. I have a problem which DHCP. *My PC
    > can see and get an IP,etc. from the router through DHCP. My problem is
    > that my PC shows a DNS address of the router, so I can not connect to
    > the internet if I use DHCP. *I connect just fine if I use a static DNS
    > address. *Does anyone know what is wrong. Where or how do I setup DNS
    > forwarding?
    >
    > Thank in advance for your help,
    >
    > John

    This is normal with most DHCP "retail" style routers. The IP
    addresses come into the router and the router's DHCP service forces
    the DNS "resolution" to use the router as DNS;. Sometimes the router
    gets confused. However, you can "patch" this since most routers would
    have section in its configuration pages where you can add the IP
    addresses to the DNS settings. When this configuration is filled out,
    then the DHCP service should "push" these IPs out to all the DHCP
    "clients" (any PCs / IP aware device which requests an IP address!)

  3. Re: Netgear Rangemax 240 DHCP DNS ?

    Hi
    When using a Router and DHCP, the computer's DNS is the Router's core IP
    (I.e. the IP address that you type into the Browser in order to see he
    Router's menus).
    The Router then uses the external ISP DNS to resolve the Internet address.
    Go over the Router's setting and set the computer's TCP/IP properties to
    Auto Obtain.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "John" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the above wireless router. I have a problem which DHCP. My PC
    > can see and get an IP,etc. from the router through DHCP. My problem is
    > that my PC shows a DNS address of the router, so I can not connect to
    > the internet if I use DHCP. I connect just fine if I use a static DNS
    > address. Does anyone know what is wrong. Where or how do I setup DNS
    > forwarding?
    >
    > Thank in advance for your help,
    >
    > John

+ Reply to Thread