Separate "users" - Wireless

This is a discussion on Separate "users" - Wireless ; I have just set up a new DSL > wireless network. Put a D-Link G adapter in the unwired PC. My "administrator" account connects well, but the kid's limited accounts do not connect. Do I need to set up the ...

  1. Separate "users"

    I have just set up a new DSL > wireless network. Put a D-Link G adapter in
    the unwired PC.

    My "administrator" account connects well, but the kid's limited accounts do
    not connect. Do I need to set up the network individually in each user's
    account?

  2. Re: Separate "users"

    "Stumpy" wrote in message

    > I have just set up a new DSL > wireless network. Put a D-Link G adapter

    in
    > the unwired PC.
    >
    > My "administrator" account connects well, but the kid's limited accounts

    do
    > not connect. Do I need to set up the network individually in each user's
    > account?

    The idea may be that "My Network Places" should be
    customised for each user.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Separate "users"

    >> I have just set up a new DSL > wireless network. Put a D-Link G adapter

    > in
    >> the unwired PC.
    >>
    >> My "administrator" account connects well, but the kid's limited accounts

    > do
    >> not connect. Do I need to set up the network individually in each user's
    >> account?

    > The idea may be that "My Network Places" should be
    > customised for each user.

    That's true. The computers with password protection won't share printers
    yet. But I'm having trouble with internet connections for the limited
    accounts. Maybe It needs to be administrator while settings are input.

  4. Re: Separate "users"

    I have a similar problem. Signal strength is no problem ("very good" or
    "excellent"). Administrator connects to network and internet fine every
    time. Limited users don't, always, and some don't ever. Limited Users, when
    logging on, are initially connected, then something disconnects them and the
    attempts to reconnect. One L.U. usually does reconnect, but every week or 2
    will go into a mode where the computer is "acquiring network address" for
    several minutes until it gives up with "limited or no connectivity" while
    still reporting excellent signal strength. Usually, power-cycling the router
    makes connection for that L.U. possible. The other 2 L.U.s in the PC never
    reconnect. No idea how to fix, except that it is certainly not a signal
    strength issue or anything else (like interfering 2.4 GHz devices) that the
    standard intermittent connection FAQs focus on. All users appear to have the
    same settings in their network connections, and L.U.s can't change the
    critical settings (like WPA key) anyway. Is this also "stumpy's" problem? XP
    Home SP2. What Windows version is "stumpy" using?

    "Stumpy" wrote:

    > >> I have just set up a new DSL > wireless network. Put a D-Link G adapter

    > > in
    > >> the unwired PC.
    > >>
    > >> My "administrator" account connects well, but the kid's limited accounts

    > > do
    > >> not connect. Do I need to set up the network individually in each user's
    > >> account?

    > > The idea may be that "My Network Places" should be
    > > customised for each user.
    > >

    > That's true. The computers with password protection won't share printers
    > yet. But I'm having trouble with internet connections for the limited
    > accounts. Maybe It needs to be administrator while settings are input.

  5. Re: Separate "users"

    >I have a similar problem. Signal strength is no problem ("very good" or
    > "excellent"). Administrator connects to network and internet fine every
    > time. Limited users don't, always, and some don't ever. Limited Users,
    > when
    > logging on, are initially connected, then something disconnects them and
    > the
    > attempts to reconnect. One L.U. usually does reconnect, but every week or
    > 2
    > will go into a mode where the computer is "acquiring network address" for
    > several minutes until it gives up with "limited or no connectivity" while
    > still reporting excellent signal strength. Usually, power-cycling the
    > router
    > makes connection for that L.U. possible. The other 2 L.U.s in the PC never
    > reconnect. No idea how to fix, except that it is certainly not a signal
    > strength issue or anything else (like interfering 2.4 GHz devices) that
    > the
    > standard intermittent connection FAQs focus on. All users appear to have
    > the
    > same settings in their network connections, and L.U.s can't change the
    > critical settings (like WPA key) anyway. Is this also "stumpy's" problem?
    > XP
    > Home SP2. What Windows version is "stumpy" using?

    Sorry for the long delay before checking back here. I'm using XP SP2.

    I gave up troubleshooting and just made all the accounts "administrator".
    My risk level is much higher now from all the crap software that the kids
    agree to load when it is offered.

+ Reply to Thread