Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS) - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS) - Wireless ; Hi.,.. i tested today SP3-RC for XP and I am now frustrated over MS: Why there is also Problems with interpreting the WirelessProfile Schema?? http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms806539.aspx I used the generaded Files from the "wireless installation assistant" and modified the file als ...

  1. Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    Hi.,..

    i tested today SP3-RC for XP and I am now frustrated over MS:

    Why there is also Problems with interpreting the WirelessProfile Schema??

    I used the generaded Files from the "wireless installation assistant" and
    modified the file als follows:

    WSETTING.WFC
    ----------------------

    xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004">

    000600D2-F0E3-4E50-ABFB-9C0BA895C7AB
    0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C
    Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard

    home.lan
    ESS
    0
    0

    WPA2PSK
    AES
    MYPASSKEY
    0
    0

    But when i start the setupSNK.exe on the usb stick, I only get the error
    message: "Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des
    Netzwerks erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar.
    Führen Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus."

    Whats is whrong?? The XML File (WSETTING.WFC) is correct!

    Why SP3 not Ships this Support?! On Vista this Config works!

    Hello?! Microsoft?! Quick fix it!

    Thomas Creutz

  2. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm not
    sure
    what could be wrong in your xml...
    Take a look in the Native WLAN API section in MSDN, the difference may be
    documented there.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Regards

    "Thomas Creutz" wrote in message
    > Hi.,..
    >
    > i tested today SP3-RC for XP and I am now frustrated over MS:
    >
    > Why there is also Problems with interpreting the WirelessProfile Schema??

    > I used the generaded Files from the "wireless installation assistant" and
    > modified the file als follows:
    >
    > WSETTING.WFC
    > ----------------------
    >

    > > xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/provisioning/WirelessProfile/2004">
    >
    > 000600D2-F0E3-4E50-ABFB-9C0BA895C7AB
    > 0B4E59B8-8317-46B2-B8C2-C46850162E6C
    > Microsoft Wireless Network Setup Wizard
    >

    > home.lan
    > ESS
    > 0
    > 0
    >
    > WPA2PSK
    > AES
    > MYPASSKEY
    > 0
    > 0
    >

    > But when i start the setupSNK.exe on the usb stick, I only get the error
    > message: "Es wurden keine Informationen gefunden, die zum Einrichten des
    > Netzwerks erforderlich sind bzw. die Informationen sind nicht verwendbar.
    > Führen Sie den Assistenten erneut auf dem ursprünglichen Computer aus."
    >
    > Whats is whrong?? The XML File (WSETTING.WFC) is correct!
    >
    > Why SP3 not Ships this Support?! On Vista this Config works!
    >
    > Hello?! Microsoft?! Quick fix it!
    >
    > Thomas Creutz

  3. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    Pavel A. schrieb:
    > XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    Quote:
    -----------------------------
    Note The EAP methods supported in Windows XP with SP2 and Windows
    Server 2003 with SP1 are EAP-TLS and PEAP. 802.1X profiles created using
    this schema will use the default configuration parameters for these methods.

    Authentication modes of WPA2 and WPA2PSK are currently not supported in
    Windows XP with SP2 and Windows Server 2003 with SP1.
    -----------------------------

    WPA2 / AES and EAP is a limitation...?!

    LOL... thats is M$... buildung a standard/definition and not support it
    backwards to xp-sp3 when ms can add it!

    Thats why i not upgrade to vista... :-(

    Sorry!

  4. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    Pavel A. schrieb:
    > XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    Thats the definition from MS for XP (prev. called Windows Connect Now)

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...UFD_XPspec.doc

    But now we get XP-SP3 and the definition not work .... ?!

    Thats suxxs!

    Thomas

  5. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    On Mar 31, 9:55*am, Thomas Creutz wrote:
    > Pavel A. schrieb:
    >
    > > XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    > Thats the definition from MS for XP (prev. called Windows Connect Now)
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dcd-4800-8a0a-...
    >
    > But now we get XP-SP3 and the definition not work .... ?!
    >
    > Thats suxxs!
    >
    > Thomas

    You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    not been released for general "update" to Windows XP. It seems to
    still have problems.

  6. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    It seems that the new "native wi-fi" documentation -
    subset of which is the "Wireless LAN API for Windows XP SP2" -
    has it's own xml profile docum:

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...85(VS.85).aspx

    and what you quote is older (WZC-based) profiles, known as WPS.

    However I don't know what tools can apply the native wifi style profiles on
    XP, besides of directly using the API.

    --PA

    > Pavel A. schrieb:
    >> XP has some limitations of the full (Vista) schema syntax, though I'm

    > Quote:
    > -----------------------------
    > Note The EAP methods supported in Windows XP with SP2 and Windows
    > Server 2003 with SP1 are EAP-TLS and PEAP. 802.1X profiles created using
    > this schema will use the default configuration parameters for these
    > methods.
    >
    > Authentication modes of WPA2 and WPA2PSK are currently not supported in
    > Windows XP with SP2 and Windows Server 2003 with SP1.
    > -----------------------------
    >
    > WPA2 / AES and EAP is a limitation...?!
    >
    > LOL... thats is M$... buildung a standard/definition and not support it
    > backwards to xp-sp3 when ms can add it!
    >
    > Thats why i not upgrade to vista... :-(
    >
    > Sorry!

  7. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    > You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    > not been released for general "update" to Windows XP. It seems to
    > still have problems.

    Release candidate 2 means feature complete.
    Maybe OP should contact the wireless networking team thru the Connect site,
    or XP Product support.

    --PA

  8. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    On Mar 31, 12:19*pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > > You must know that XP Service Pack 3 is still in test phases and has
    > > not been released for general "update" to Windows XP. *It seems to
    > > still have problems.

    > Release candidate 2 means feature complete.
    > Maybe OP should contact the wireless networking team thru the Connect site,
    > or XP Product support.
    >
    > --PA

    Release Candidate 2 may mean that the "features" are complete but does
    indictate that the "features" are all working. Until the time the
    service pack is "released to manufacturing", or appears in Windows
    Update, it should not be considered a "released" (aka complete)
    product. This would mean that the "test phases" are not complete.

  9. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    smlunatick schrieb:
    > This would mean that the "test phases" are not complete.

    I can only hope, thats this things can be fixed...

    King Regards,
    Thomas

  10. Re: Windows XP SP3 and Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS)

    Pavel A. schrieb:
    > It seems that the new "native wi-fi" documentation -
    > subset of which is the "Wireless LAN API for Windows XP SP2" -
    > has it's own xml profile docum:
    >
    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...85(VS.85).aspx

    Thanks for this information.

    King Regards,