How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection? - Wireless ; "Steve Winograd" wrote in message news:j27su3539bi2jas065hgmdku63njhta5ft@4ax.com... > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:04:48 -0400, "Neil Harrington" > wrote: > >>The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by Ethernet >>cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection?

    "Steve Winograd" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:04:48 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by Ethernet
    >>cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point, which is
    >>connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home system in my
    >>office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000 Pro system in my
    >>bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
    >>
    >>The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would like
    >>temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one computer,
    >>mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of computer
    >>resources,
    >>because I don't want things like my McAfee Security Suite, Weather
    >>Channel,
    >>etc., coming in and using my CPU and HDD.
    >>
    >>How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet Gateway I
    >>can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or High-Speed Internet I
    >>can disable my Local Area connection. Should I do both, or only one? Is
    >>there likely to be any problem reestablishing the connection afterward?
    >>
    >>Neil

    > Disable the Local Area connection.
    >
    > Don't disable the Internet Gateway. The Internet Gateway is your
    > D-Link router, and disabling it tells the router to disconnect itself
    > from the Internet. That would cut off Internet access by all of the
    > computers.
    >
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve, thanks very much for your reply. I realize it was nearly a month ago,
    but it just now showed up here for some reason. I much appreciate the
    advice.

    Regards,

    Neil

  2. Re: How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection?

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 21:21:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    wrote:

    >>>The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by Ethernet
    >>>cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point, which is
    >>>connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home system in my
    >>>office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000 Pro system in my
    >>>bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
    >>>
    >>>The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would like
    >>>temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one computer,
    >>>mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of computer
    >>>resources,
    >>>because I don't want things like my McAfee Security Suite, Weather
    >>>Channel,
    >>>etc., coming in and using my CPU and HDD.
    >>>
    >>>How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet Gateway I
    >>>can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or High-Speed Internet I
    >>>can disable my Local Area connection. Should I do both, or only one? Is
    >>>there likely to be any problem reestablishing the connection afterward?
    >>>
    >>>Neil

    >> Disable the Local Area connection.
    >>
    >> Don't disable the Internet Gateway. The Internet Gateway is your
    >> D-Link router, and disabling it tells the router to disconnect itself
    >> from the Internet. That would cut off Internet access by all of the
    >> computers.

    >Steve, thanks very much for your reply. I realize it was nearly a month ago,
    >but it just now showed up here for some reason. I much appreciate the
    >advice.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Neil

    You're welcome, Neil. :-)

    Are you accessing the news group through Comcast's Giganews-provided
    server? If so, you might get better results using Microsoft's news
    server: msnews.microsoft.com