networking printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on networking printer - Wireless ; I am a newby to home networking. i have a dell desktop xp OS with a printer installed. i would like to be able to use the printer with my notebook computers. i have a netgear router. can someone explain ...

  1. networking printer

    I am a newby to home networking. i have a dell desktop xp OS with a printer
    installed. i would like to be able to use the printer with my notebook
    computers. i have a netgear router. can someone explain an easy way to do
    this so i am not vulnerable to outside the network.

    thanks

  2. Re: networking printer

    "DD" wrote in message

    > I am a newby to home networking. i have a dell desktop xp OS with a

    printer
    > installed. i would like to be able to use the printer with my notebook
    > computers. i have a netgear router. can someone explain an easy way to do
    > this so i am not vulnerable to outside the network.

    Standard method.
    1. The router is fitted between your Internet access
    and your desktop, and provides certain protections
    against malware, intrusion etc. (documented in its manual.)
    2. Connect the Desktop Ethernet jack to the router to
    access Internet.
    3. On the Desktop, run the Network Wizard. This
    includes settings to Share disk drives and (last step)
    can create a NETSETUP floppy to complete network
    settings on other PCs.
    4. Run NETSETUP on the laptop. Reboot after completion
    and verify that appropriate laptop drives can be accessed
    from the desktop and vice versa.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: networking printer

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "DD" wrote in message
    >I am a newby to home networking. i have a dell desktop xp OS with a
    >printer installed. i would like to be able to use the printer with my
    >notebook computers. i have a netgear router. can someone explain an easy
    >way to do this so i am not vulnerable to outside the network.
    >
    > thanks

+ Reply to Thread