How to switch to an ethernet connection? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to switch to an ethernet connection? - Wireless ; My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris where our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the laptop to ...

  1. How to switch to an ethernet connection?

    My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
    connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris where
    our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the laptop
    to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
    the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in connection
    automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

  2. Re: How to switch to an ethernet connection?

    Hi
    You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override the
    Wireless.
    Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "d claude bear" bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    newsEB0ED6E-61C1-4BC8-AD10-15BE0DAB7AB5@microsoft.com...
    > My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
    > connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris
    > where
    > our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the
    > laptop
    > to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
    > the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in
    > connection
    > automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

  3. Re: How to switch to an ethernet connection?

    Thanks for your help, Jack. I followed all the instructions on the page you
    included in your reply and was able to do everything.

    However, when I turned off the laptop's wireless switch and plugged in the
    ethernet cable (from the cable modem) that I use for my desktop computer,
    there is an "unable to resolve internet address" error message from Cox (our
    internet provider). And of course I could not access the internet.

    Is it possible that the laptop was never set up to get a wired interface
    signal? I will call the Cox tech line tomorrow to see if they can walk me
    through the search for a wired connection IP address.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override the
    > Wireless.
    > Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "d claude bear" bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > newsEB0ED6E-61C1-4BC8-AD10-15BE0DAB7AB5@microsoft.com...
    > > My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
    > > connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris
    > > where
    > > our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the
    > > laptop
    > > to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
    > > the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in
    > > connection
    > > automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

  4. Re: How to switch to an ethernet connection?

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "d claude bear" wrote in message
    > Thanks for your help, Jack. I followed all the instructions on the page
    > you
    > included in your reply and was able to do everything.
    >
    > However, when I turned off the laptop's wireless switch and plugged in the
    > ethernet cable (from the cable modem) that I use for my desktop computer,
    > there is an "unable to resolve internet address" error message from Cox
    > (our
    > internet provider). And of course I could not access the internet.
    >
    > Is it possible that the laptop was never set up to get a wired interface
    > signal? I will call the Cox tech line tomorrow to see if they can walk me
    > through the search for a wired connection IP address.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override
    >> the
    >> Wireless.
    >> Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "d claude bear" bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> newsEB0ED6E-61C1-4BC8-AD10-15BE0DAB7AB5@microsoft.com...
    >> > My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
    >> > connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris
    >> > where
    >> > our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the
    >> > laptop
    >> > to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order
    >> > for
    >> > the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in
    >> > connection
    >> > automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

+ Reply to Thread