Bluetooth on Vista. Receiving files. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Bluetooth on Vista. Receiving files. - Wireless ; On Vista (and possibly XP), to receive a file from a Bluetooth device one needs to select the "Receive a file" menu item from the system tray icon. Is it possible to set Vista to accept an incoming file without ...

  1. Bluetooth on Vista. Receiving files.

    On Vista (and possibly XP), to receive a file from a Bluetooth device one
    needs to select the "Receive a file" menu item from the system tray icon.

    Is it possible to set Vista to accept an incoming file without selecting
    this menu item first?

    I've just lost a couple of hours failing to get a file from a device because
    I had hidden the system tray icon, and there was no other way to select the
    "Receive a file" option. It was only thanks to Google that I found out it
    was there.

    Having thought about it, I'm not sure why I need this menu item at all. When
    I send a file to the device the device does not need to be set to "listen"
    for the file. Why does Vista?

    Cheers,

    John.

  2. Re: Bluetooth on Vista. Receiving files.

    On Mar 5, 9:48*am, "JohnD" wrote:
    > On Vista (and possibly XP), to receive a file from a Bluetooth device one
    > needs to select the "Receive a file" menu item from the system tray icon.
    >
    > Is it possible to set Vista to accept an incoming file without selecting
    > this menu item first?
    >
    > I've just lost a couple of hours failing to get a file from a device because
    > I had hidden the system tray icon, and there was no other way to select the
    > "Receive a file" option. It was only thanks to Google that I found out it
    > was there.
    >
    > Having thought about it, I'm not sure why I need this menu item at all. When
    > I send a file to the device the device does not need to be set to "listen"
    > for the file. Why does Vista?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John.

    Bluetooth has a number of different methods of connecting to the
    device to receive files. My Nokia cell phone can be connected as an
    attached device and will let me copy and paste files to/from it.

  3. Re: Bluetooth on Vista. Receiving files.

    That's interesting. It is a Nokia N95-8GB that I have. I can send files TO
    the phone without telling the phone to "listen", but I cannot send files
    FROM the phone, without telling Vista to "listen" first.

    /john

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    On Mar 5, 9:48 am, "JohnD" wrote:
    > On Vista (and possibly XP), to receive a file from a Bluetooth device one
    > needs to select the "Receive a file" menu item from the system tray icon.
    >
    > Is it possible to set Vista to accept an incoming file without selecting
    > this menu item first?
    >
    > I've just lost a couple of hours failing to get a file from a device
    > because
    > I had hidden the system tray icon, and there was no other way to select
    > the
    > "Receive a file" option. It was only thanks to Google that I found out it
    > was there.
    >
    > Having thought about it, I'm not sure why I need this menu item at all.
    > When
    > I send a file to the device the device does not need to be set to "listen"
    > for the file. Why does Vista?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John.

    Bluetooth has a number of different methods of connecting to the
    device to receive files. My Nokia cell phone can be connected as an
    attached device and will let me copy and paste files to/from it.

+ Reply to Thread