Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router - Wireless

This is a discussion on Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router - Wireless ; Hi I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks. I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable connection and enabled WEP. I have ...

  1. Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    Hi

    I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
    able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.

    I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
    connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.

    However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.

    Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?

    Thanks
    Pawan

  2. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    On Mar 2, 11:51*pm, pawanja...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
    > able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.
    >
    > I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
    > connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    > wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.
    >
    > However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    > pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.
    >
    > Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pawan

    Passphrase is usually for WPA. WEP uses a hex key (entered as hex or
    ascii.) Reconfigure the router and the Vista PC so as to use the WPA
    (WPA2) wireless security, which is a way better security than the
    "cracked" WEP method.

  3. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
    > able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.
    >
    > I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
    > connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    > wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.
    >
    > However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    > pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.
    >
    > Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pawan

    As the other posted, don't use WEP. It is too easy to break.

    Entering the key or passphrase (or whatever they call it) usually takes
    several tries.
    The software is extremely intolerant of the slightest error.

    Jim

  4. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Linksys WPC11 wireless adapter on my Win2K laptop, and am
    > able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.
    >
    > I just installed a Linksys WRTG54 wireless router on my home cable
    > connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    > wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.
    >
    > However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    > pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.
    >
    > Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Pawan

  5. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    the WPC11 as I recall is an old 802.11b only card. And I believe you
    need a $$ add-on for WPA (there was a free one, but they sold out to
    McAfee who wants $4.95 per month..)

    yo are seriously at risk using WEP. it is like locking your door and
    leaving the key in the lock.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  6. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    Thanks to everyone for your advice, I've gone back to WPA!

    Which still does not solve my problem of connecting WPC11 to the
    network.
    But it looks like I will need to change the WPC11 adapter as the card
    may not be supported by my WRTG54 router.

    Thanks
    Pawan

    On Mar 3, 12:38 pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > the WPC11 as I recall is an old 802.11b only card. And I believe you
    > need a $$ add-on for WPA (there was a free one, but they sold out to
    > McAfee who wants $4.95 per month..)
    >
    > yo are seriously at risk using WEP. it is like locking your door and
    > leaving the key in the lock.
    >

    > On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:51:28 -0800 (PST), pawanja...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >Hi

    > >I have aLinksysWPC11wirelessadapteron my Win2K laptop, and am
    > >able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.

    > >I just installed aLinksysWRTG54wirelessrouter on my home cable
    > >connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    > >wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.

    > >However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    > >pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.

    > >Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?

    > >Thanks
    > >Pawan

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  7. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    it is probably supported if you set the router to b/g mixed mode and
    lower your security to an unsafe mode. if you change the card out
    for a faster newer card, you still have the issue of needing WPA for
    security. You need a third party utility ($$) as W2K doesn't
    natively support WPA.

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:18:48 -0800 (PST), pawanjalan@gmail.com wrote:

    >Thanks to everyone for your advice, I've gone back to WPA!
    >
    >Which still does not solve my problem of connecting WPC11 to the
    >network.
    >But it looks like I will need to change the WPC11 adapter as the card
    >may not be supported by my WRTG54 router.
    >

    >Thanks
    >Pawan
    >

    >On Mar 3, 12:38 pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    >> the WPC11 as I recall is an old 802.11b only card. And I believe you
    >> need a $$ add-on for WPA (there was a free one, but they sold out to
    >> McAfee who wants $4.95 per month..)
    >>
    >> yo are seriously at risk using WEP. it is like locking your door and
    >> leaving the key in the lock.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:51:28 -0800 (PST), pawanja...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> >Hi

    >> >I have aLinksysWPC11wirelessadapteron my Win2K laptop, and am
    >> >able to connect fine to unsecure neighborhood networks.

    >> >I just installed aLinksysWRTG54wirelessrouter on my home cable
    >> >connection and enabled WEP. I have another Vista laptop and built-in
    >> >wireless, and am able to connect to this home network fine.

    >> >However, when I try connecting to the above network using my WPC11, it
    >> >pops up the box to enter the passphrase, but then does not connect.

    >> >Am I missing some setting or do I need to install some driver?

    >> >Thanks
    >> >Pawan

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  8. Re: Linksys Wireless Adapter not connecting to inksys Wireless Router

    ok i get you now
    didn't realise win2k is the culprit!

    will chek out what add-ons are available and upgrade if required!

    thanks
    pawan