Is my network unworkable? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Is my network unworkable? - Wireless ; I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room. There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor. There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to the router ...

  1. Is my network unworkable?

    I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
    There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
    There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to the
    router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
    And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport
    (and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
    The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro
    has a Canon printer connected.

    I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that we
    can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also how to
    share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is in OSX or
    running Windows.

    Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC
    upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and
    printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up
    without success.

    Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up what
    I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do with the
    current setup?

    Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for the
    MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that, and would
    that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for the rest of my
    setup?

    Thanks a lot for any advice.

  2. Re: Is my network unworkable?

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:12:44 GMT, "Luis Ortega" wrote:

    >I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
    >There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
    >There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to the
    >router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
    >And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport
    >(and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
    >The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro
    >has a Canon printer connected.
    >
    >I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that we
    >can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also how to
    >share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is in OSX or
    >running Windows.
    >
    >Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC
    >upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and
    >printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up
    >without success.
    >
    >Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up what
    >I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do with the
    >current setup?
    >
    >Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for the
    >MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that, and would
    >that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for the rest of my
    >setup?
    >
    >Thanks a lot for any advice.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com

  3. Re: Is my network unworkable?

    Luis Ortega wrote:
    > I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
    > There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
    > There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to the
    > router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
    > And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport
    > (and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
    > The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro
    > has a Canon printer connected.
    >
    > I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that we
    > can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also how to
    > share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is in OSX or
    > running Windows.
    >
    > Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC
    > upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and
    > printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up
    > without success.
    >
    > Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up what
    > I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do with the
    > current setup?
    >
    > Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for the
    > MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that, and would
    > that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for the rest of my
    > setup?
    >
    > Thanks a lot for any advice.

    Yes, it's possible to network all of your computers and printers. Do
    not bother with Bluetooth. In addition to daytripper's link, here are a
    few more.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm (Home)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm (Pro)
    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html - Jack, MVP
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm - Bob Lin, MVP
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troub...cessibale0.htm
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...n-windows.html

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  4. Re: Is my network unworkable?

    Thanks, guys, I will study the information on all the links provided and see
    how it goes.

    Would using bluetooth from the two Mac laptops to connect with the Mac Pro
    desktop mean that they could only send files over to it rather than access
    the actual printer on it, or is it possible to use bluetooth to make a file
    from the laptop print from the MacPro's printer?

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Luis Ortega wrote:
    >> I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
    >> There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
    >> There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to
    >> the router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
    >> And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport
    >> (and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
    >> The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro
    >> has a Canon printer connected.
    >>
    >> I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that
    >> we can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also
    >> how to share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is
    >> in OSX or running Windows.
    >>
    >> Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC
    >> upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and
    >> printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up
    >> without success.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up
    >> what I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do
    >> with the current setup?
    >>
    >> Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for
    >> the MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that,
    >> and would that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for
    >> the rest of my setup?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot for any advice.

    > Yes, it's possible to network all of your computers and printers. Do not
    > bother with Bluetooth. In addition to daytripper's link, here are a few
    > more.
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ilesharing.htm (Home)
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm (Pro)
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    > http://www.ezlan.net/index.html - Jack, MVP
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm - Bob Lin, MVP
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troub...cessibale0.htm
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...n-windows.html
    >

    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: Is my network unworkable?

    On Mar 2, 12:09*pm, "Luis Ortega" wrote:
    > Thanks, guys, I will study the information on all the links provided and see
    > how it goes.
    >
    > Would using bluetooth from the two Mac laptops to connect with the Mac Pro
    > desktop mean that they could only send files over to it rather than access
    > the actual printer on it, or is it possible to use bluetooth to make a file
    > from the laptop print from the MacPro's printer?
    >
    > "Lem" wrote in message

    > > Luis Ortega wrote:
    > >> I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
    > >> There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
    > >> There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to
    > >> the router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
    > >> And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport
    > >> (and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
    > >> The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro
    > >> has a Canon printer connected.

    > >> I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that
    > >> we can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also
    > >> how to share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is
    > >> in OSX or running Windows.

    > >> Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC
    > >> upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and
    > >> printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up
    > >> without success.

    > >> Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up
    > >> what I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do
    > >> with the current setup?

    > >> Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for
    > >> the MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that,
    > >> and would that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for
    > >> the rest of my setup?

    > >> Thanks a lot for any advice.

    > > Yes, it's possible to network all of your computers and printers. *Do not
    > > bother with Bluetooth. *In addition to daytripper's link, here are a few
    > > more.

    > >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    > >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
    > >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...aring.htm(Home)
    > >http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../index.htm(Pro)
    > >http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    > >http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/myths.htm
    > >http://www.ezlan.net/index.html- Jack, MVP
    > >http://www.howtonetworking.com/default.htm- Bob Lin, MVP
    > >http://www.howtonetworking.com/Troub...cessibale0.htm
    > >http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > >http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...up-wizard-in-w...

    > > --
    > > Lem -- MS-MVP

    > > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    > >http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    Bluetooth protocol is not a recommended protocol for network. Not
    designed for constant networking. Not secure.

  6. Re: Is my network unworkable?

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:30:26 -0800 (PST), smlunatick wrote:

    >On Mar 2, 12:09*pm, "Luis Ortega" wrote:
    >> Thanks, guys, I will study the information on all the links provided and see
    >> how it goes.
    >>
    >> Would using bluetooth from the two Mac laptops to connect with the Mac Pro
    >> desktop mean that they could only send files over to it rather than access
    >> the actual printer on it, or is it possible to use bluetooth to make a file
    >> from the laptop print from the MacPro's printer?

    >Bluetooth protocol is not a recommended protocol for network. Not
    >designed for constant networking. Not secure.

    And slow as hell...

+ Reply to Thread