Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home - Wireless

This is a discussion on Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home - Wireless ; Hello: I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however, I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization ...

  1. Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    Hello:
    I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home
    network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however, I was
    trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization of the
    folders, since both computers are not on all the time, and the shared files
    are inaccessible periodically due to the computers going into standby,etc(The
    wireless Home networking seems inconsistent) When I go into the
    Sychronization setup menu it says "No offline folders available for
    synchronization", but it doesn't seem to let me set up sychronization.

    My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via XP Pro)-
    IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would not give me the
    option to sychronize.

    Thanks for your help.
    Michael

  2. Re: Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    Handy-one wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home
    > network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however,
    > I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization
    > of the folders, since both computers are not on all the time, and the
    > shared files are inaccessible periodically due to the computers going
    > into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking seems inconsistent)
    > When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it says "No offline
    > folders available for synchronization", but it doesn't seem to let me
    > set up sychronization.
    >
    > My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via XP
    > Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would not
    > give me the option to sychronize.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Michael

    I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it anyway. Take
    a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.

  3. Re: Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    wrote in message
    > Handy-one wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >> I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home
    >> network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however,
    >> I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization
    >> of the folders, since both computers are not on all the time, and the
    >> shared files are inaccessible periodically due to the computers going
    >> into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking seems inconsistent)
    >> When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it says "No offline
    >> folders available for synchronization", but it doesn't seem to let me
    >> set up sychronization.
    >>
    >> My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via XP
    >> Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would not
    >> give me the option to sychronize.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >> Michael

    > I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it anyway.
    > Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.

    You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing everything
    on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged into your router
    would seem to do the job. Then you have both your back up and your
    synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking in to doing, but have not
    taken the plunge yet for want of deciding what to buy! A novice in this, so
    if anyone else wants to comment I'm 'all ears'.)

  4. Re: Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    spamlet wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > wrote in
    > message news:%23KSee5jeIHA.6092@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >> Handy-one wrote:
    >>> Hello:
    >>> I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless
    >>> home network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each;
    >>> however, I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne
    >>> sychnronization of the folders, since both computers are not on all
    >>> the time, and the shared files are inaccessible periodically due to
    >>> the computers going into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking
    >>> seems inconsistent) When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it
    >>> says "No offline folders available for synchronization", but it
    >>> doesn't seem to let me set up sychronization.
    >>>
    >>> My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via
    >>> XP Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would
    >>> not give me the option to sychronize.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help.
    >>> Michael

    >> I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it
    >> anyway. Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.
    >>

    > You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing
    > everything on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged
    > into your router would seem to do the job. Then you have both your
    > back up and your synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking
    > in to doing, but have not taken the plunge yet for want of deciding
    > what to buy! A novice in this, so if anyone else wants to comment
    > I'm 'all ears'.)

    Yes - Windows Home Server would also do nicely. That won't make any
    difference where WinXP Home and its lack of offline files support are
    concerned, however.

    (Pssst: I think you meant to reply to the OP, not to me)

  5. Re: Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    wrote in message
    > spamlet wrote:
    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> wrote in
    >> message news:%23KSee5jeIHA.6092@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

    >>> I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it
    >>> anyway. Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.
    >>>

    >> You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing
    >> everything on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged
    >> into your router would seem to do the job. Then you have both your
    >> back up and your synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking
    >> in to doing, but have not taken the plunge yet for want of deciding
    >> what to buy! A novice in this, so if anyone else wants to comment
    >> I'm 'all ears'.)

    > Yes - Windows Home Server would also do nicely. That won't make any
    > difference where WinXP Home and its lack of offline files support are
    > concerned, however.
    >
    > (Pssst: I think you meant to reply to the OP, not to me)

    Oops,
    Thanks for picking me up on that.
    Must be more careful where I click.

    Cheers.

  6. Re: Offline file synchronization via home networking and XP Home

    No worries

+ Reply to Thread