Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks" - Wireless

This is a discussion on Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks" - Wireless ; I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to the laptop or ...

  1. Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks"

    I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to the
    laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router). Our
    desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon on
    the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.

    In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my laptop
    several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to see if
    that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    didn't work either.

    I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message "Media
    disconnected." My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks without a
    problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding it
    again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet to
    find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.

    Any thoughts? THANKS!

  2. Re: Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks"

    Have you reset the wireless router or AP? Or this post may help.

    wireless connection receives Network cable unplugged
    http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "lkthompson" wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    > home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    > one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to
    > the
    > laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router).
    > Our
    > desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    > connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon
    > on
    > the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.
    >
    > In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    > wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my
    > laptop
    > several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to see
    > if
    > that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    > didn't work either.
    >
    > I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message
    > "Media
    > disconnected." My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    > always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    > neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks without
    > problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    > Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    > Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding
    > it
    > again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    > automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    > connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet
    > find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    > Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    > just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.
    >
    > Any thoughts? THANKS!

  3. Re: Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks"

    Resetting doesn't work, already tried that...

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Have you reset the wireless router or AP? Or this post may help.
    >
    > wireless connection receives Network cable unplugged
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "lkthompson" wrote in message
    > >I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    > > home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    > > one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to
    > > the
    > > laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router).
    > > Our
    > > desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    > > connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon
    > > on
    > > the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.
    > >
    > > In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    > > wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my
    > > laptop
    > > several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to see
    > > if
    > > that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    > > didn't work either.
    > >
    > > I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message
    > > "Media
    > > disconnected." My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    > > always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    > > neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks without
    > > problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    > > Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    > > Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding
    > > it
    > > again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    > > automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    > > connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet
    > > find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    > > Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    > > just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? THANKS!

  4. Re: Cannot view home network in "available wireless networks"

    On Feb 25, 9:46*am, lkthompson
    wrote:
    > I have Windows XP on a Dell laptop, which was working perfectly through our
    > home wireless network...until the Internet connection just stopped working
    > one day! (it had been fine previously, and no changes have been made to the
    > laptop or desktop PC, which is connected directly to a linksys router). Our
    > desktop is still connected to the Internet w/o problems, and my laptop is
    > connected locally, but there is a red X through the wireless network icon on
    > the taskbar, and I can't access the Internet.
    >
    > In Network Connection settings, it says "Network cable unplugged" for the
    > wireless network. But nothing is physically unplugged! I restarted my laptop
    > several times, tried unplugging it and letting the battery run down to seeif
    > that would help when I restarted...well, it didn't. Resetting the router
    > didn't work either.
    >
    > I went to ipconfig /release to reset the IP but got the error message "Media
    > disconnected." *My network card is built-in to the laptop and its light is
    > always on. When I go to View Available Wireless Networks, I can see my
    > neighbors' networks. I connected to one of their unsecure networks withouta
    > problem. However, our home network doesn't even show up in the list of
    > Available wireless networks. It still shows in the list of Preferred
    > Networks, but there is a red X through it. I tried removing it and adding it
    > again, using the same settings (Open/WEP/network key/obtain IP
    > automatically,etc). Also, windows (not linksys) manages our wireless
    > connections. I am quite frustrated and have looked all over the Internet to
    > find answers but none of the suggestions have worked so far. Oh, and the
    > Windows firewall is turned off because I use Norton. I turned off Norton's
    > just to see if it would work, but nothing changed.
    >
    > Any thoughts? THANKS!

    How is the wireless "adapter" connected to this laptop? This was my
    exact problem with my wireless adapter(s) last year. Mine are all USB
    based wireless adapter and my UBS 2.0 ort were based in ALi chips.
    Once I replaced the ALi chip USB 2.0 ports with a NEC base ports
    adapter, my problems disappeared.

+ Reply to Thread