Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's - Wireless ; Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs ...

  1. Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
    changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
    the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
    hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
    this. Any ideas?

    I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
    IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.

    Thanks - Muzzy

  2. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    some of the better residential routers have a DHCP reservation
    function. check the documentation and see if your router supports
    this. if not, see if you can specify the lease time - set it for the
    longest time possible.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    mustaphasiddique@aol.com wrote:
    > Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
    > changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
    > the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
    > hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
    > this. Any ideas?
    >
    > I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
    > IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
    >
    > Thanks - Muzzy

    Of course, if your router doesn't support DHCP reservation, it's usually
    not the router that hands out static IP addresses anyway. Usually, one
    sets the client NIC to either "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    (i.e., use the router's DHCP server; this is the Windows default) or
    "Use the following IP address."

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  4. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    On Feb 24, 3:48*pm, mustaphasiddi...@aol.com wrote:
    > Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) *and the IP's on the network keep
    > changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
    > the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
    > hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
    > this. Any ideas?
    >
    > I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
    > IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
    >
    > Thanks - Muzzy

    Mosr routers only respond to IP address requests. If the DHCP service
    in set correcly, the Ip address should always be the same (aka IP
    reservations.) However, not all routers can do this. If yours does
    not, them you will need to assign the IP addresses manually at each PC.

  5. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    On Feb 24, 3:48 pm, mustaphasiddi...@aol.com wrote:
    > Hi I have a Belkin 7632-4 (UK) and the IP's on the network keep
    > changing so that every time a computer on the network is switched off
    > the others get a new ip from the router. Obviously the router needs to
    > hand out static IP's for the network but I can't see any way to do
    > this. Any ideas?
    >
    > I do NOT mean the ISP IP. The problem is with the router dished out
    > IP's. My main pc changes from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.XX.
    >
    > Thanks - Muzzy

    Mosr routers only respond to IP address requests. If the DHCP service
    in set correcly, the Ip address should always be the same (aka IP
    reservations.) However, not all routers can do this. If yours does
    not, them you will need to assign the IP addresses manually at each PC.

    But be aware that if you assign the IP addresses manually at each PC
    then you must also specify DNS server addresses and (default) gateway
    address manually for each PC because these addresses are normally
    specified as part of the DHCP service.

    The default gateway address will usually be static for the lifetime of your
    subnet, in your case most likely 192.168.2.1, but the DNS addresses
    may vary from time to time and cause you problems. (Quite likely the
    DNS servers serving you reside in a different subnet and are only
    accessible through one or more gateways.

    regards Sven

  6. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.

    The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
    a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
    every time I boot up depending on what other
    pc's are switched on on the network..

    Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
    suggest a way around this? There is no
    reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

  7. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    wrote in message

    > The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
    > a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing

    "Low ID"? what in the world is that.

    > every time I boot up depending on what other
    > pc's are switched on on the network..
    >
    > Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
    > suggest a way around this? There is no
    > reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

    Then just forget dynamic IP#s in the first place. These "routers" only
    passout dynamic IP#s from a specific range. Manually assigning the machine
    whatever IP# you want it to have from a number outside the DHCP Range.

    What IP# the machine really gets almost means nothing. The IP# the machine
    gets should mean absolutley nothing to EMule.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  8. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    don't understand "low ID" - is this something on the emule side?
    if you must use this kind of program, give the computer a static IP.
    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:29:29 -0800 (PST), mustaphasiddique@aol.com
    wrote:

    >Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.
    >
    >The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
    >a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
    >every time I boot up depending on what other
    >pc's are switched on on the network..
    >
    >Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
    >suggest a way around this? There is no
    >reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  9. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    wrote:

    >Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.
    >
    >The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
    >a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
    >every time I boot up depending on what other
    >pc's are switched on on the network..
    >
    >Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
    >suggest a way around this? There is no
    >reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

    Set the pc to use a static (fixed) ip address instead of getting one
    assigned by the router. You will need to enter the ip address of the
    router as default gateway and dns nameserver.

    You will also need to change the dhcp pool on the router so that the
    static ip address you choose is outside the pool range.

    eg set the pool from 192.168.2.10 to 50 and the static ip 192.168.2.2

    Jim.

  10. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    Many thanks for all help. It is now working fine
    with static IP's and DHCP turned off.

    It seems so easy in retrospect that I wonder
    why on earth Belkin use the auto pallava in
    the first place.

  11. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    They all do.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    > Many thanks for all help. It is now working fine
    > with static IP's and DHCP turned off.
    >
    > It seems so easy in retrospect that I wonder
    > why on earth Belkin use the auto pallava in
    > the first place.

  12. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    On Feb 25, 11:49*am, mustaphasiddi...@aol.com wrote:
    > Many thanks for all help. It is now working fine
    > with static IP's and DHCP turned off.
    >
    > It seems so easy in retrospect that I wonder
    > why on earth Belkin use the auto pallava in
    > the first place.

    Belkin and most every other router manufacturers, all make routers for
    yhr 95% of the "networks" out there. Most home users are not too PC /
    network savvy so they mainly expect that the router works when they
    plug it in the first time. Router setups get complicated when you are
    using applications that require a "fixed" IP address (like servers,
    printer and communication systems (Emule.))

  13. Re: Help please Belkin keeps changing network IP's

    mustaphasiddique@aol.com wrote:
    > Thanks for replies. This is getting a bit involved.
    >
    > The main problem is that I use Emule and am getting
    > a 'low id' which is due to the LAN IP changing
    > every time I boot up depending on what other
    > pc's are switched on on the network..
    >
    > Short of dropping the firewall off can anyone
    > suggest a way around this? There is no
    > reserved ip facility on the Belkin.

    If you are getting a low ID, this usually means that you have not got
    the port forwarding in your router configured correctly.

    John.

  14. Network IP Keep changing

    HI Sven

    My Network Printer Ip keep changing since I installed vista SP1 on all my home network. All my computer operate wirelessly now.

    The IP address keep changing a daily basis. I never used to have this problem before.

    My router is linksys WRT54G, it was working ok all the time with wifi capablity, my ip started changing last week for some reasons.

    How can I stop this daily change, I want to have a specific address, this is starting to get annoying, as I have to manually reset all the IP ports configuration on every computers.

    Thanks In advance

    Mathew

  15. Re: Network IP Keep changing

    Although this doesn't always happen, it's the reason that many suggest
    setting static IPs for devices like network printers. You should be
    able to do this using the printer itself, either through its front panel
    or through any remote configuration utility that was supplied with the
    printer.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP