Redundant Directory Names - Wireless

This is a discussion on Redundant Directory Names - Wireless ; I have a local wireless network at home with three computers (two XP, one Vista). Let's call them UPSTAIRS, LAPTOP, and PLASMA. When I look at My Network Places I see a confusing array of redundant names: e.g., the following ...

  1. Redundant Directory Names

    I have a local wireless network at home with three computers (two XP, one
    Vista).
    Let's call them UPSTAIRS, LAPTOP, and PLASMA.
    When I look at My Network Places I see a confusing array of redundant names:
    e.g., the following are all references to the same directory:
    Shared Docs (Upstairs)
    shared docs (Upstairs)
    shared docs on 192.168.2.1 on UPSTAIRS COMPUTER(Upstairs)

    I realize that I have probably created this monster over several months or
    years, but I cannot figure out how to straighten it out. I have tried to
    delete the redundant references many times, but they keep coming back. Can
    someone enlighten me so I can streamline my menu structure?
    --
    JerryI

  2. Re: Redundant Directory Names

    Hi
    You have to Unshare (or delete if you do not need them) them on the PC that
    they exist on and after few boots it would disappear.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "JerryI" wrote in message
    >I have a local wireless network at home with three computers (two XP, one
    > Vista).
    > Let's call them UPSTAIRS, LAPTOP, and PLASMA.
    > When I look at My Network Places I see a confusing array of redundant
    > names:
    > e.g., the following are all references to the same directory:
    > Shared Docs (Upstairs)
    > shared docs (Upstairs)
    > shared docs on 192.168.2.1 on UPSTAIRS COMPUTER(Upstairs)
    >
    > I realize that I have probably created this monster over several months or
    > years, but I cannot figure out how to straighten it out. I have tried to
    > delete the redundant references many times, but they keep coming back.
    > Can
    > someone enlighten me so I can streamline my menu structure?
    > --
    > JerryI

+ Reply to Thread