some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN - Wireless

This is a discussion on some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN - Wireless ; I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key. I've got our ...

  1. some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

    I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

    I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
    WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
    to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
    is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
    review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
    that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
    the Event Logs.

    What else can I try?

    Mike Webb

  2. Re: some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

    Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
    use same kind of wireless adapter?

    --PA

    "Mike_in_Nebraska" wrote in message
    >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.
    >
    > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
    > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
    > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
    > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
    > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
    > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
    > the Event Logs.
    >
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Mike Webb

  3. Re: some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

    Hi
    If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
    Off.
    http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
    Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA +
    AES) setting.
    A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless that you know for sure
    work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
    Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike_in_Nebraska" wrote in message
    >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > (all D-Link). I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.
    >
    > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. All are on
    > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. All are using the OS
    > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). The problem
    > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > WLAN. On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. Tries but can't connect. I
    > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. I don't know if
    > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. Nothing in
    > the Event Logs.
    >
    > What else can I try?
    >
    > Mike Webb

  4. Re: some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

    On Feb 21, 2:10*pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
    > use same kind of wireless adapter?
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Mike_in_Nebraska" wrote in message

    > >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > > (all D-Link). *I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

    > > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. *All are on
    > > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. *All are using the OS
    > > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). *The problem
    > > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > > WLAN. *On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. *Tries but can't connect. *I
    > > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. *I don't know if
    > > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. *Nothing in
    > > the Event Logs.

    > > What else can I try?

    > > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

    I doubt it. The ones that aren't connecting are HP laptops. The one's
    that are are Dells. Don't know the specifics on the network adapters.

  5. Re: some clients can't connect to WPA2 Personal WLAN

    On Feb 21, 2:21*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
    > Off.http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
    > Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA+
    > AES) setting.
    > A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless *that you know for sure
    > work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
    > Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315067
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike_in_Nebraska" wrote in message

    > >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > > (all D-Link). *I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

    > > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work. *All are on
    > > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed. *All are using the OS
    > > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's). *The problem
    > > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > > WLAN. *On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key. *Tries but can't connect. *I
    > > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be. *I don't know if
    > > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there. *Nothing in
    > > the Event Logs.

    > > What else can I try?

    > > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

    I didn't know that, thanks.