Network dropping - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network dropping - Wireless ; Hi all, My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network via wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own utility on the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility keeps popping ...

  1. Network dropping

    Hi all,
    My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network via
    wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own utility on
    the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility keeps popping
    up a balloon saying the connection has been lost (even when it hasn't) and
    causes me and him a lot of confusion. Can I remove the Acer utility and just
    rely on Vista to keep the connection?
    Does anyone have a 'walk through' to help me get rid of the Acer utilities?

    --
    Thanks in advance.

    Bob S.

  2. Re: Network dropping

    "Bob Seymour" wrote in message

    > My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network

    via
    > wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own utility

    on
    > the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility keeps

    popping
    > up a balloon saying the connection has been lost (even when it hasn't) and
    > causes me and him a lot of confusion. Can I remove the Acer utility and

    just
    > rely on Vista to keep the connection?

    I do not use Vista thus do not know whether Vista
    offers standard Windows tools for this remedy i.e.
    Ctl Alt Del to list what modules are currently loaded
    and a DOS box in which Windows system protections
    can be ignored. But you can probably test for removal
    of the Acer software if you:
    1. Identify its name
    2. Disable its EXE file by renaming it FILENAME.XXX
    3. Reboot and run as normal, ignoring error messages
    that FILENAME.EXE is not found.

    If the system connects to Internet as normal, you can
    either uninstal the Acer module or simply delete the
    file when you get around to it, say in a week or two:
    and if any problems present themselves you can
    simply rename FILENAME.XXX FILENAME.EXE
    which ought to put things back the way they were.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Network dropping

    On Feb 21, 5:48*am, "Bob Seymour"
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network via
    > wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own utility on
    > the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility keeps popping
    > up a balloon saying the connection has been lost (even when it hasn't) and
    > causes me and him a lot of confusion. Can I remove the Acer utility and just
    > rely on Vista to keep the connection?
    > Does anyone have a 'walk through' to help me get rid of the Acer utilities?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob S.

    You need to note that several manuafcturer wireless utilties are
    "bundled" with the wireless adapters. If you uninstall the utilities,
    you might be also removing the wireless drivers. It is better to turn
    this utility off and then activate the Windows Zero Configuration
    system.

  4. Re: Network dropping

    You probably can stop the Acer utility by removing its starting file from
    the startup folder.
    If Windows Wireless Zero Configuration does not start automatically this can
    Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bob Seymour" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network
    > via wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own
    > utility on the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility
    > keeps popping up a balloon saying the connection has been lost (even when
    > it hasn't) and causes me and him a lot of confusion. Can I remove the Acer
    > utility and just rely on Vista to keep the connection?
    > Does anyone have a 'walk through' to help me get rid of the Acer
    > utilities?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob S.

  5. Re: Network dropping

    Thanks to all, I'll try your suggestions.

    Bob S.

    > You probably can stop the Acer utility by removing its starting file from
    > the startup folder.
    > If Windows Wireless Zero Configuration does not start automatically this
    > can Help.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Bob Seymour" wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> My son has an Acer Aspire 3694WLMi laptop connecting to our home network
    >> via wireless link to a Zoom modem/router. Acer 'kindly' put their own
    >> utility on the laptop to connect/monitor the wireless link. This utility
    >> keeps popping up a balloon saying the connection has been lost (even when
    >> it hasn't) and causes me and him a lot of confusion. Can I remove the
    >> Acer utility and just rely on Vista to keep the connection?
    >> Does anyone have a 'walk through' to help me get rid of the Acer
    >> utilities?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Bob S.