Can't detect WPA2 Personal network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't detect WPA2 Personal network - Wireless ; Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running WinXP SP2. Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties. For some reason, it says it ...

  1. Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running
    WinXP SP2.

    Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.

    For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. I
    initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.

    What am I missing?

    Mike

  2. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running
    > WinXP SP2.
    >
    > Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.
    >
    > For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. I
    > initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Mike

    Well, if you literally meant what you wrote ("Disabled Dell's radio"),
    how do expect to detect anything?

    What you probably *meant* to do was to disable the Dell Wireless Manager.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 11:25*am, Lem wrote:
    > Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > > Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. *Laptop running
    > > WinXP SP2.

    > > Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > > manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.

    > > For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. *I
    > > initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > > can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.

    > > What am I missing?

    > > Mike

    > Well, if you literally meant what you wrote ("Disabled Dell's radio"),
    > how do expect to detect anything?
    >
    > What you probably *meant* to do was to disable the Dell Wireless Manager.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

    You are correct, I mis-spoke. I disabled Dell's Wireless Manager's
    radio so I could use Windows instead.

    Mike

  4. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    If you are using XP SP2, you need an update for WPA2 to work:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 11:55*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > If you are using XP SP2, you need an update for WPA2 to work:http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:08:36 -0800 (PST), Mike_in_Nebraska
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. *Laptop running
    > >WinXP SP2.

    > >Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > >manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.

    > >For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. *I
    > >initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > >can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.

    > >What am I missing?

    > >Mike

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    I'll give that a try. I've got the update file windowsxp-kb917021-v3-
    x86-enu.exe but apparently didn't work.

    Mike

  6. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 11:55*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > If you are using XP SP2, you need an update for WPA2 to work:http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:08:36 -0800 (PST), Mike_in_Nebraska
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. *Laptop running
    > >WinXP SP2.

    > >Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > >manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.

    > >For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. *I
    > >initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > >can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.

    > >What am I missing?

    > >Mike

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Installed the update and I can see the AP's. (Using Dell's Wireless
    Manager this time). I choose and AP, select WPA PSK (Personal) [I
    think this is equivalent to WPA2 Personal), enter the key info ... and
    it connects but can't get an IP.

    We've got another laptop a staff member uses that HAS connected. What
    could I be missing?

  7. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 11:25 am, Lem wrote:
    >> Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    >>> Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running
    >>> WinXP SP2.
    >>> Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    >>> manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.
    >>> For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. I
    >>> initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    >>> can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.
    >>> What am I missing?
    >>> Mike

    >> Well, if you literally meant what you wrote ("Disabled Dell's radio"),
    >> how do expect to detect anything?
    >>
    >> What you probably *meant* to do was to disable the Dell Wireless Manager.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

    > You are correct, I mis-spoke. I disabled Dell's Wireless Manager's
    > radio so I could use Windows instead.
    >
    > Mike

    Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
    of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
    *utility* without also disabling the radio. Many laptops have the
    ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
    the wireless radio. This is intended as a power saving technique or to
    comply with a flight attendant's request. On some Dells, the radio can
    be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
    or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
    radio", that is not the option you want to use. There may not be any
    User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
    seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
    Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; see
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...en/operate.htm).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  8. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 1:08*pm, Lem wrote:
    > Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > >> Well, if you literally meant what you wrote ("Disabled Dell's radio"),
    > >> how do expect to detect anything?

    > >> What you probably *meant* to do was to disable the Dell Wireless Manager.

    > >> --
    > >> Lem -- MS-MVP

    > >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...tp://history.n...

    > > You are correct, I mis-spoke. *I disabled Dell's Wireless Manager's
    > > radio so I could use Windows instead.

    > > Mike

    > Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
    > of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
    > *utility* without also disabling the radio. *Many laptops have the
    > ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
    > the wireless radio. *This is intended as a power saving technique or to
    > comply with a flight attendant's request. *On some Dells, the radio can
    > be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
    > or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
    > radio", that is not the option you want to use. *There may not be any
    > User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
    > seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
    > Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; seehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P75353/en/operate.htm).
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    Must be my misunderstanding. I made the asumption that the Radio in
    the Utility was "just" for that utility and didn't supercede the
    wireless on/off switch on the side of the laptop. Sorry about that.

    I've installed the WinXP update mentioned by the other poster and can
    detect the AP's but can't get an IP. Can't figure out why.

  9. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 11:55*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > If you are using XP SP2, you need an update for WPA2 to work:http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893357
    >
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:08:36 -0800 (PST), Mike_in_Nebraska
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. *Laptop running
    > >WinXP SP2.

    > >Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > >manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.

    > >For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. *I
    > >initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > >can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.

    > >What am I missing?

    > >Mike

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Very strange. We unplugged it from the power cord to take it to a
    nearby AP and plug it directly to the AP and ... it got an IP. Don't
    know how or why, but I'll take it.

    Mike

  10. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    thanks for the update. hope it continues to work for you.

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:30:43 -0800 (PST), Mike_in_Nebraska
    wrote:

    >Very strange. We unplugged it from the power cord to take it to a
    >nearby AP and plug it directly to the AP and ... it got an IP. Don't
    >know how or why, but I'll take it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  11. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Hi
    There is No reason not to use the Wireless. With a little 30min education
    you can master it.

    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike_in_Nebraska" wrote in message
    > Using a Dell laptop with Dell Wireless Manager on it. Laptop running
    > WinXP SP2.
    >
    > Disabled Dell's radio and enabled WZC in Services and added the WLAN
    > manually, with it's key, to wireless NIC's properties.
    >
    > For some reason, it says it can't detect any wireless networks. I
    > initially used the Dell Wireless Manager and it saw it fine, but I
    > can't get it set for WPA2 -- it just goes up to WPA.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Mike

  12. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > On Feb 20, 1:08 pm, Lem wrote:
    >> Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    >>> You are correct, I mis-spoke. I disabled Dell's Wireless Manager's
    >>> radio so I could use Windows instead.
    >>> Mike

    >> Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
    >> of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
    >> *utility* without also disabling the radio. Many laptops have the
    >> ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
    >> the wireless radio. This is intended as a power saving technique or to
    >> comply with a flight attendant's request. On some Dells, the radio can
    >> be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.
    >>
    >> I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
    >> or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
    >> radio", that is not the option you want to use. There may not be any
    >> User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
    >> seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
    >> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; seehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P75353/en/operate.htm).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    > Must be my misunderstanding. I made the asumption that the Radio in
    > the Utility was "just" for that utility and didn't supercede the
    > wireless on/off switch on the side of the laptop. Sorry about that.
    >
    > I've installed the WinXP update mentioned by the other poster and can
    > detect the AP's but can't get an IP. Can't figure out why.

    If you can now see "available wireless networks," the most likely reason
    that you can't get an IP from your wireless router is that you're not
    properly authenticating. This primarily results from an encryption
    mismatch (using the wrong password or using the wrong level of
    encryption), but it can also be caused by other security filters in the
    AP such as MAC address filtering.

    If you can get the laptop near to your router, try connecting it using
    an Ethernet cable. If that works, you know that the problem is
    (probably) not caused by some OS problem.

    Assuming that the LAN connection to your router works, disable all
    security on your wireless router, "remove" the entry for your WiFi
    network from the list of "Preferred Networks" in Wireless Connection
    Properties/Advanced (http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4) and try to connect.

    If you can now get an IP from the wireless AP, re-enable encryption as
    desired. Use WPA2-Personal (may be called WPA2-PSK) if available.
    Otherwise, use WPA-Personal (may be called WPA-PSK).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  13. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    On Feb 20, 4:21*pm, Lem wrote:
    > Mike_in_Nebraska wrote:
    > >> Again, I'm confused why you include the word "radio" in the description
    > >> of what you did. You should be able to disable the Dell Wireless Manager
    > >> *utility* without also disabling the radio. *Many laptops have the
    > >> ability using software, a hardware switch, or both, to actually disable
    > >> the wireless radio. *This is intended as a power saving technique or to
    > >> comply with a flight attendant's request. *On some Dells, the radio can
    > >> be turned on/off using the Fn+F2 keys.

    > >> I'm not familiar with the Dell Wireless Manager, but if there's a button
    > >> or a checkbox that you are selecting that says something like, "Disable
    > >> radio", that is not the option you want to use. *There may not be any
    > >> User Interface method to disable the Dell utility (from the little I've
    > >> seen, Dell seems to suggest that the Dell utility will "defer" to
    > >> Windows Wireless Zero Configuration if WZC is running; seehttp://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/P75353/en/operate.htm).

    > >> --
    > >> Lem -- MS-MVP

    > >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...story.n...Hide quoted text -

    > > Must be my misunderstanding. *I made the asumption that the Radio in
    > > the Utility was "just" for that utility and didn't supercede the
    > > wireless on/off switch on the side of the laptop. *Sorry about that.

    > > I've installed the WinXP update mentioned by the other poster and can
    > > detect the AP's but can't get an IP. Can't figure out why.

    > If you can now see "available wireless networks," the most likely reason
    > that you can't get an IP from your wireless router is that you're not
    > properly authenticating. *This primarily results from an encryption
    > mismatch (using the wrong password or using the wrong level of
    > encryption), but it can also be caused by other security filters in the
    > AP such as MAC address filtering.
    >
    > If you can get the laptop near to your router, try connecting it using
    > an Ethernet cable. *If that works, you know that the problem is
    > (probably) not caused by some OS problem.
    >
    > Assuming that the LAN connection to your router works, disable all
    > security on your wireless router, "remove" the entry for your WiFi
    > network from the list of "Preferred Networks" in Wireless Connection
    > Properties/Advanced (http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4) and try to connect.
    >
    > If you can now get an IP from the wireless AP, re-enable encryption as
    > desired. *Use WPA2-Personal (may be called WPA2-PSK) if available.
    > Otherwise, use WPA-Personal (may be called WPA-PSK).
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    I appreciate your comments, thanks.

  14. Re: Can't detect WPA2 Personal network

    Great reference material, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread