Network Monitoring Program more simple than "MS Network Monitor v3"? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network Monitoring Program more simple than "MS Network Monitor v3"? - Wireless ; Hi, i have been appointed the "sysadmin" of my small organization's network (since i supposedly know more than anyone else here, debatable) and my first task is to find the bandwidth hogs and IM slackers. We have a linksys router ...

  1. Network Monitoring Program more simple than "MS Network Monitor v3"?

    Hi, i have been appointed the "sysadmin" of my small organization's
    network (since i supposedly know more than anyone else here,
    debatable) and my first task is to find the bandwidth hogs and IM
    slackers.

    We have a linksys router and everyone insists on using windows so it
    is more or less a windows network. We do not have a server (yet, i am
    lobbying the director but its an uphill battle) so i don't have a
    computer where all the traffic goes through. I found MS Network
    Monitor v3.x (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933741) and it *seems*
    to do what i need like view network traffic w/o being installed on a
    server only problem is that it is waaaay over my head and i have
    little concept of how to filter/interpret the data.

    I am trying to find a free app (lobbying my boss for a server is hard
    enough as is w/o investing in even more software) that will simply
    allow me to identify the sites users are visiting, how much they are
    down/uploading, what they are down/uploading, and the services they
    are using and how often they are using them (mainly instant
    messaging), etc etc etc. And of course the information needs to be
    understandable by someone like me (ie "advanced user" but not hacker/
    sysadmin/guru).

    Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    PS for the record i posted this on another group (something like
    a.b.xp.general, can't remember which, i don't mean to crosspost but i
    wasn't thinking when i put it on that group and it was suggested i put
    it on a networking group)

  2. Re: Network Monitoring Program more simple than "MS Network Monitor v3"?

    Hi
    It seems that you are currently on peer to peer topology.
    Since on such a network each computer is on its own you cannot monitor them
    from a central place. Microsoft Network monitor help troubleshoot problems
    with applications on the network; it is Not a tool for the kind of
    management that you need.
    In order to control and measure usage you have to install software on each
    computer (taking the risk that it can be bypassed, or disabled by
    knowledgeable users).
    Example for such software, http:/www.netlimiter.com
    The real solution is to switch the Network to Windows 2003 Small business
    server.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    A trial version is available too,
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738394.aspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    > Hi, i have been appointed the "sysadmin" of my small organization's
    > network (since i supposedly know more than anyone else here,
    > debatable) and my first task is to find the bandwidth hogs and IM
    > slackers.
    >
    > We have a linksys router and everyone insists on using windows so it
    > is more or less a windows network. We do not have a server (yet, i am
    > lobbying the director but its an uphill battle) so i don't have a
    > computer where all the traffic goes through. I found MS Network
    > Monitor v3.x (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933741) and it *seems*
    > to do what i need like view network traffic w/o being installed on a
    > server only problem is that it is waaaay over my head and i have
    > little concept of how to filter/interpret the data.
    >
    > I am trying to find a free app (lobbying my boss for a server is hard
    > enough as is w/o investing in even more software) that will simply
    > allow me to identify the sites users are visiting, how much they are
    > down/uploading, what they are down/uploading, and the services they
    > are using and how often they are using them (mainly instant
    > messaging), etc etc etc. And of course the information needs to be
    > understandable by someone like me (ie "advanced user" but not hacker/
    > sysadmin/guru).
    >
    > Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko
    >
    > PS for the record i posted this on another group (something like
    > a.b.xp.general, can't remember which, i don't mean to crosspost but i
    > wasn't thinking when i put it on that group and it was suggested i put
    > it on a networking group)

+ Reply to Thread