Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup - Wireless

This is a discussion on Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup - Wireless ; We too have many freeze and lockup problems. Computer: Dell SmartPC model 150D, Intel Celeron 1.2GHz. 512MB. 20GB HD. Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2. Netgear 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311. System runs without any problem with this adapter ...

  1. Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    We too have many freeze and lockup problems.

    Computer: Dell SmartPC model 150D, Intel Celeron 1.2GHz. 512MB. 20GB HD.
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

    Netgear 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311.
    System runs without any problem with this adapter inside (but driver not
    installed).

    Download driver 1.3 (v30043) and 1.5 beta from Netgear web site.

    Both drivers does caused system to freeze and lockup within 30 minutes of
    booting up.

    The ver 1.5 beta drivers keep ask to select from either Netgear or Microsoft
    drivers. But both 1.3 and 1.5 versions caused system to freeze up.

    Is there anyone have solutions for this lock up problem?

    Is there anyway for me to trace and find out what the system was doing last
    before it get locked up?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    Hi
    Did you try to use another PCI slot?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "A G J" wrote in message
    > We too have many freeze and lockup problems.
    >
    > Computer: Dell SmartPC model 150D, Intel Celeron 1.2GHz. 512MB. 20GB HD.
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.
    >
    > Netgear 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter WG311.
    > System runs without any problem with this adapter inside (but driver not
    > installed).
    >
    > Download driver 1.3 (v30043) and 1.5 beta from Netgear web site.
    >
    > Both drivers does caused system to freeze and lockup within 30 minutes of
    > booting up.
    >
    > The ver 1.5 beta drivers keep ask to select from either Netgear or
    > Microsoft
    > drivers. But both 1.3 and 1.5 versions caused system to freeze up.
    >
    > Is there anyone have solutions for this lock up problem?
    >
    > Is there anyway for me to trace and find out what the system was doing
    > last
    > before it get locked up?
    >
    > Thank you.

  3. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    > Hi
    > Did you try to use another PCI slot?
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, thank you. We have tried two other PCI slots. Same system freeze up
    problem presist.
    Actually, most of the systems in our office now has this Netgear Adapter
    inside the computer, (but without installed the drivers), and all system
    works well, except without wirelss connection, of course.

  4. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    Hi
    You first need to rule out a defective card.
    Exchange the card with a card from another computer.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "A G J" wrote in message
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Did you try to use another PCI slot?
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Jack, thank you. We have tried two other PCI slots. Same system freeze up
    > problem presist.
    > Actually, most of the systems in our office now has this Netgear Adapter
    > inside the computer, (but without installed the drivers), and all system
    > works well, except without wirelss connection, of course.

  5. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    > Hi
    > You first need to rule out a defective card.
    > Exchange the card with a card from another computer.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, thank you for your advise.
    We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
    floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
    gear drivers.
    We tried to swap the PCI wireless adapters cards between several systems in
    the three rooms near our tech service departments. Same lockup results.

  6. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    >We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
    >floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
    >gear drivers.

    In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
    explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
    _before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
    uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
    installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.

    Dirk

  7. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    "Dirk Michaelsen" wrote in message
    > >We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
    >>floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the Net
    >>gear drivers.

    > In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
    > explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
    > _before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
    > uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
    > installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.
    >
    > Dirk

    Dirk,
    OK. Following your suggestions, we tried both, before and after inserting
    the adapter.
    Same result. We give up. No response what-so-ever from Netgear.

  8. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    Hi
    At this point if it was my system I would "splurge" with $29 and order to
    try this device.
    It is inexpensive, and works very well with both XP and Vista.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "A G J" wrote in message
    > "Dirk Michaelsen" wrote in message
    >> >We have tried to load the Net gear drivers to all the computers in this
    >>>floor (around 23 computers). All freeze and lockup. So, we removed the
    >>>Net
    >>>gear drivers.

    >> In the installation manual of my NetGear wireless card it is
    >> explicitely said, that you have to install the network drivers
    >> _before_ you install the card. It is also said that you will have to
    >> uninstall the drivers and then remove the card before a new
    >> installation attempt, if you have made the mistake mentioned above.
    >>
    >> Dirk

    > Dirk,
    > OK. Following your suggestions, we tried both, before and after inserting
    > the adapter.
    > Same result. We give up. No response what-so-ever from Netgear.

  9. Re: Netgear WG311 PCI Wireless Adapter lockup

    Yes, we gave up. Our boss decided to approve removeal all Netgear WG311
    Adapters from 65 systems here in this location.

    Netgear no longer in our approved vendor list.

+ Reply to Thread