batteries - Wireless

This is a discussion on batteries - Wireless ; From an ac power cord at the wall a power cord runs to what appears to me a transformer to reduce the 120 v to whatever the pc uses safely. The other side of the rectanguler,heavy device runs a cable ...

  1. batteries

    From an ac power cord at the wall a power cord runs to what appears to me a
    transformer to reduce the 120 v to whatever the pc uses safely.
    The other side of the rectanguler,heavy device runs a cable to the power of
    the laptop.
    I have set my power settings at 15 minutes apeice before the power and discs
    turn off.
    Is it safe to keep everything plugged in as I only use it in the house with
    my other pc?
    Thank you
    --
    Grampy Pete

  2. Re: batteries

    Sounds like you are asking if it is safe to keep your laptop plugged in all
    the time. The simple answer is yes. But, more complicated is that this
    can have an impact on the life of your battery. If you don't 'cycle' them
    thru a discharge/charge cycle regularly they will lose their memory and end
    up not holding a charge for long. Even if you only use it in the house,
    unplug it once in a while while using it and let it run on the battery so it
    discharges. You should have a setting that will tell you when it gets to
    around 10% so you can plug it back in without the PC shutting down.

    "Grampy Pete" wrote in message
    newsC756F04-761A-4EBD-9D64-868FB0EF48C2@microsoft.com...
    > From an ac power cord at the wall a power cord runs to what appears to me
    > transformer to reduce the 120 v to whatever the pc uses safely.
    > The other side of the rectanguler,heavy device runs a cable to the power
    > of
    > the laptop.
    > I have set my power settings at 15 minutes apeice before the power and
    > discs
    > turn off.
    > Is it safe to keep everything plugged in as I only use it in the house
    > with
    > my other pc?
    > Thank you
    > --
    > Grampy Pete

  3. Re: batteries

    That is good advice as the same applies to most rechargeable batteries,i.e.,
    toothbrushes,razors, drill batteries. Running them down and recharging
    utilizes all parts of the battery not just the small part over and over.
    Thank you
    --
    Grampy Pete

    "Mark" wrote:

    > Sounds like you are asking if it is safe to keep your laptop plugged in all
    > the time. The simple answer is yes. But, more complicated is that this
    > can have an impact on the life of your battery. If you don't 'cycle' them
    > thru a discharge/charge cycle regularly they will lose their memory and end
    > up not holding a charge for long. Even if you only use it in the house,
    > unplug it once in a while while using it and let it run on the battery so it
    > discharges. You should have a setting that will tell you when it gets to
    > around 10% so you can plug it back in without the PC shutting down.
    >

    > "Grampy Pete" wrote in message
    > newsC756F04-761A-4EBD-9D64-868FB0EF48C2@microsoft.com...
    > > From an ac power cord at the wall a power cord runs to what appears to me
    > > transformer to reduce the 120 v to whatever the pc uses safely.
    > > The other side of the rectanguler,heavy device runs a cable to the power
    > > of
    > > the laptop.
    > > I have set my power settings at 15 minutes apeice before the power and
    > > discs
    > > turn off.
    > > Is it safe to keep everything plugged in as I only use it in the house
    > > with
    > > my other pc?
    > > Thank you
    > > --