WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products) - Wireless

This is a discussion on WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products) - Wireless ; I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect to the WLAN ...

  1. WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
    can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect to
    the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At present I
    have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which setting on the
    router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.

    Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
    wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
    Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    > installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
    > can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect
    > to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At
    > present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which
    > setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  3. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    Outstanding, thanks!

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
    >
    > Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
    > wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
    > Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    >> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
    >> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I
    >> can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
    >> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
    >> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA
    >> PSK?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  4. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    Mike Webb wrote:
    > Outstanding, thanks!
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
    >>
    >> Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
    >> wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
    >> Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>

    >> "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >>> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    >>> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
    >>> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I
    >>> can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
    >>> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
    >>> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA
    >>> PSK?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Webb
    >>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

    This is a 331MB download right?

    John.

  5. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security - >
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    > installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's (DWL-2200AP's)
    > can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I can't connect
    > to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security settings. At
    > present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless router. Which
    > setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA PSK?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  6. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    Thank you for the update.

    --

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    > Outstanding, thanks!
    >
    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Assuming you use XP, Microsoft has hotfix that may fix the problem.
    >>
    >> Many Wireless issues can be fixed by hotfixCase 2: You can receive strong
    >> wireless signal but not connection. Resolution: Downtown this hotfix:
    >> Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows ...
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless/wirelesshotfix.htm
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>

    >> "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >>> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    >>> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
    >>> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now
    >>> I can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
    >>> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
    >>> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with
    >>> WPA PSK?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Webb
    >>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  7. Re: WPA PSK vs WPA Personal (D-Link products)

    I didn't know that, thanks.
    > Hi
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security -
    > >

    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to get a couple PC's to connect to our WLAN. The cards I
    >> installed (D-Link DWL-D520M's) can handle WPA PSK. My AP's
    >> (DWL-2200AP's) can handle WPA Personal (and several others). Right now I
    >> can't connect to the WLAN and I suspect it's because of the security
    >> settings. At present I have WPA2 Personal on the PA's and wireless
    >> router. Which setting on the router and AP's will be compatible with WPA
    >> PSK?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

+ Reply to Thread