how many? - Wireless

This is a discussion on how many? - Wireless ; I am going to network the two pc's in my house. I have a desktop xp sp2 with no wireless card , a laptop with a netgeaar wireless card and a wireless router. I connect with excellent strength. I did ...

  1. how many?

    I am going to network the two pc's in my house. I have a desktop xp sp2 with
    no wireless card , a laptop with a netgeaar wireless card and a wireless
    router. I connect with excellent strength.
    I did notice, in reaqding about networking that you need an access point.
    If I installed a wireless card into my desktop is there any more to do
    except follow the wizard to make the 2 pc's wireless?
    Thank you
    --
    Grampy Pete

  2. Re: how many?

    if you have a wireless router, it includes an embedded access point.
    I don't recommend running the netgear wizard if that is what you
    mean. log into the router and set up the access point name and WPA2
    or at least WPA security. do not use WEP.

    windows should detect wireless networks and display an icon in the
    system tray near the clock, and you can connect from there.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: how many?

    Thank you for letting me know about the access point being in the router.
    Re: the wizard, I was referring to the win xp sp2 one- is it somewhat easy?
    Re: the WEP vs WPA, 2 Netgear techs said to use WEP. Is your instruction to
    use WAP b/c I will be networking rather than just being wireless as I am
    now, or is there another reason
    Thank you for your help?
    --
    Grampy Pete

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > if you have a wireless router, it includes an embedded access point.
    > I don't recommend running the netgear wizard if that is what you
    > mean. log into the router and set up the access point name and WPA2
    > or at least WPA security. do not use WEP.
    >
    > windows should detect wireless networks and display an icon in the
    > system tray near the clock, and you can connect from there.
    >
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:43:01 -0800, Grampy Pete
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am going to network the two pc's in my house. I have a desktop xp sp2 with
    > >no wireless card , a laptop with a netgeaar wireless card and a wireless
    > >router. I connect with excellent strength.
    > >I did notice, in reaqding about networking that you need an access point.
    > >If I installed a wireless card into my desktop is there any more to do
    > >except follow the wizard to make the 2 pc's wireless?
    > >Thank you

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  4. Re: how many?

    "Grampy Pete" wrote in message
    > Thank you for letting me know about the access point being in the router.
    > Re: the wizard, I was referring to the win xp sp2 one- is it somewhat
    > easy?
    > Re: the WEP vs WPA, 2 Netgear techs said to use WEP. Is your instruction
    > use WAP b/c I will be networking rather than just being wireless as I am
    > now, or is there another reason
    > Thank you for your help?
    > --
    > Grampy Pete

    Take the Netgear tech's advice and put it into the trashcan. Use WPA on
    the wireless signal. The reason that Barb said to use WPA is
    that it is much more difficult to break. You do not use any encryption on
    the wired signal because it stays inside the cable.
    Jim

  5. Re: how many?

    Thanx for letting me know -WPA is what I'll try.
    --
    Grampy Pete

    "Grampy Pete" wrote:

    > Thank you for letting me know about the access point being in the router.
    > Re: the wizard, I was referring to the win xp sp2 one- is it somewhat easy?
    > Re: the WEP vs WPA, 2 Netgear techs said to use WEP. Is your instruction to
    > use WAP b/c I will be networking rather than just being wireless as I am
    > now, or is there another reason
    > Thank you for your help?
    > --
    > Grampy Pete
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > if you have a wireless router, it includes an embedded access point.
    > > I don't recommend running the netgear wizard if that is what you
    > > mean. log into the router and set up the access point name and WPA2
    > > or at least WPA security. do not use WEP.
    > >
    > > windows should detect wireless networks and display an icon in the
    > > system tray near the clock, and you can connect from there.
    > >
    > > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:43:01 -0800, Grampy Pete
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I am going to network the two pc's in my house. I have a desktop xp sp2 with
    > > >no wireless card , a laptop with a netgeaar wireless card and a wireless
    > > >router. I connect with excellent strength.
    > > >I did notice, in reaqding about networking that you need an access point.
    > > >If I installed a wireless card into my desktop is there any more to do
    > > >except follow the wizard to make the 2 pc's wireless?
    > > >Thank you

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS-MVP