Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help - Wireless ; Hi, I am having great trouble getting Wireless N going with my Vista PC (Ultimate). My Dell XPS has a Linksys WUSB300N USB adapter and I am trying to connect it to my Netgear Wireless N router (a WNR834Bv2). My ...

  1. Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Hi,

    I am having great trouble getting Wireless N going with my Vista PC
    (Ultimate). My Dell XPS has a Linksys WUSB300N USB adapter and I am trying
    to connect it to my Netgear Wireless N router (a WNR834Bv2). My old XP
    machine connected to it very well with a Netgear WN121T. However, trying to
    get the Netgear USB adapter (the WN121T) to install crashed (well slowed
    down to a crawl and made it unusable) so many times needing a restore point
    restore that I gave up in a huff and purchased the Linksys adapter. Each is
    meant to have Vista drivers and these have been duely installed.

    The Linksys adapter does not crash the machine but only very occasionally
    works with the Netgear router. Straight after an install of the drivers it
    will connect and reports "Local and Internet" connection. Sometimes in this
    state (but not always) I can actually get onto google. I have to be quick
    though as it soon drops back to reporting local only and droping all
    internet access. In the local only state I can't get onto the internal
    Netgear website on the router. I am using WEP 128bit and this seems to be
    accepted OK but interestingly I have no luck with no security at all
    (testing only of course).

    I have been onto both Netgear and Linksys but in the end they both point me
    back to the other. Although my XP laptop (wireless g) workd well with the
    Netgear router my feeling is that the Netgear router is at fault here. I
    have updated the firmware to the latest recommended by Netgear. Everything
    is up to date including Vista. Luckily I have a cable connection to the
    router but this involves a very inconvenient cable route and the lack of a
    door into the kitchen being able to be closed. Anyway I can get onto the net
    with the cable.

    Now and again the Vista machine will not shut down after I have been fidling
    about with drivers and settings. When the PC freezes in this way I have to
    turn it off with the good old five seconds on the power button. This has an
    effect on my RAID 1 array which then decides to re-build on power up causing
    more delays.

    Whilst on a support call with Linksys last night my Bluetooth mouse (Dell)
    packed up and I had to search out a USB mouse to be able to carry on with
    the support guys instructions.

    I'm not having a lot of luck! Before I got into all this one of my new shiny
    Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the shop.
    These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
    this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
    software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the end
    Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
    synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
    mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
    with my wireless woes.

    (I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at work
    and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from Dell
    they are great.)

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Vic

  2. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    see if http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932134 applies.
    run the test and report any failures. to unbind IPv6 see
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...windows-vista/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Hi,

    Thanks for responding Barb.

    All tests passed except the "UPnP Support Test". I carried out these with
    the wired connection.

    I will unbind IPv6 later this evening'

    Fingers crossed! Is there a disadvantage to having your IPv6 unbound (as it
    were)?

    Vic

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
> [...]
    >>shiny
    >>Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the
    >>shop.
    >>These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
    >>this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
    >>software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the
    >>end
    >>Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
    >>synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
    >>mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
    >>with my wireless woes.
    >>
    >>(I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at
    >>work
    >>and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from

  4. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    no disadvantage..

    On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:11:22 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    wrote:

> [...]
    >>>shiny
    >>>Vista Dell XPS 's disks got faulty causing RAID rebuilds all over the
    >>>shop.
    >>>These things happen I know but I am being particularly unlucky. Of course
    >>>this all happened just after I had spent a few days installing all the
    >>>software from my old XP machine and getting all the data across. In the
    >>>end
    >>>Dell sent me two new disks (500 Mb) and I actually got them progressively
    >>>synched so that I now have the full setup on the two new disks (phew!). I
    >>>mention all this in the hope that someone will take pity on me and help me
    >>>with my wireless woes.
    >>>
    >>>(I'm not really moaning about Dell. We have a load of Dell machines at
    >>>work
    >>>and they all work great most of the time. When we do need support from

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Hi again,

    I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
    and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates so
    I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link stopped
    working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
    the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
    came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine to
    have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
    Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
    unreachable" I am not happy now!

    I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.

    Heeeeeelp!

    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  6. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
    the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
    save... etc.

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    wrote:

    >Hi again,
    >
    >I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
    >and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates so
    >I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link stopped
    >working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
    >the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
    >came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine to
    >have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
    >Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
    >unreachable" I am not happy now!
    >
    >I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
    >
    >Heeeeeelp!
    >
    >Vic
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> no disadvantage..
    >>
    >> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:11:22 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for responding Barb.
    >>>
    >>>All tests passed except the "UPnP Support Test". I carried out these with
    >>>the wired connection.
    >>>
    >>>I will unbind IPv6 later this evening'
    >>>
    >>>Fingers crossed! Is there a disadvantage to having your IPv6 unbound (as
    >>>it
    >>>were)?
    >>>
    >>>Vic
    >>>
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  7. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Hi Barb,

    I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
    system went back to local only again.

    Any othe ideas?

    > go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
    > the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
    > save... etc.
    >
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi again,
    >>
    >>I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
    >>and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates
    >>so
    >>I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link
    >>stopped
    >>working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
    >>the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
    >>came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine
    >>have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
    >>Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
    >>unreachable" I am not happy now!
    >>
    >>I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
    >>
    >>Heeeeeelp!
    >>
    >>Vic
    >>
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> no disadvantage..

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  8. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Can you try a different router ?

    On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:26:10 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    wrote:

    >Hi Barb,
    >
    >I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
    >system went back to local only again.
    >
    >Any othe ideas?
    >
    >Vic
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
    >> the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
    >> save... etc.
    >>
    >> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:39:18 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi again,
    >>>
    >>>I did the IP6 unbinding and re-booted. It all worked when it came up again
    >>>and I was happy! The machine indicated that there were some Vista updates
    >>>so
    >>>I downloaded and installed them - quite a few MB. However, the link
    >>>stopped
    >>>working again. I was hoping it was because the updates were going on. When
    >>>the updates were finished I rebooted as requested and all was well when it
    >>>came up again. Internet working fine and I was happy! I left the machine
    >>>have my dinner but when I came back the machine was in local only again.
    >>>Itried to ping the router address (192.168.1.1) but got "Destination host
    >>>unreachable" I am not happy now!
    >>>
    >>>I then turned off the firewall but that had no effect.
    >>>
    >>>Heeeeeelp!
    >>>
    >>>Vic
    >>>
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  9. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
    re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to work.
    It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting somewhere.
    However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it was Local only
    again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to blame. I had
    another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was totally
    fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link and it did
    indeed connect for a couple of seconds.

    Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless USB
    adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age. Something
    is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news groups it
    would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a solution.
    How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this? Ican't find
    anything useful.

    Do you have any more info on this Barb?

    Kind regards,

    > Can you try a different router ?
    >
    > On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:26:10 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Barb,
    >>
    >>I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and the
    >>system went back to local only again.
    >>
    >>Any othe ideas?
    >>
    >>Vic
    >>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> go into device manager and make sure that there is NO checkmark in
    >>> the properties of the NIC for allowing power to be turned off to
    >>> save... etc.

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  10. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK now;
    even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
    router so fingers crossed!!!

    I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of the
    "Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
    attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find where I
    read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
    properties) would appear to have done it for me.

    Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
    appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced by
    having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen to
    know when that will be available do you?

    Kind regards and many many thanks.

    Vic
    PS Pompey for the FA Cup

    "Vic Russell" wrote in message
    >I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
    >re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to work.
    >It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting
    >somewhere. However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it
    >was Local only again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to
    >blame. I had another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was
    >totally fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link and
    >it did indeed connect for a couple of seconds.
    >
    > Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless USB
    > adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age. Something
    > is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news groups
    > it would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a
    > solution. How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this?
    > Ican't find anything useful.
    >
    > Do you have any more info on this Barb?
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Vic
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> Can you try a different router ?
    >>
    >> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:26:10 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi Barb,
    >>>
    >>>I did that but after around two minutes the device stopped working and
    >>>the
    >>>system went back to local only again.
    >>>
    >>>Any othe ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Vic
    >>>"Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

  11. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Interesting that LLTD would be causing this. You won't be able to
    use the Network Map in Vista, but --

    SP1 - mid March for most people
    see
    http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...customers.aspx

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    wrote:

    >Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK now;
    >even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
    >router so fingers crossed!!!
    >
    >I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of the
    >"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
    >attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find where I
    >read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
    >properties) would appear to have done it for me.
    >
    >Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
    >appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced by
    >having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen to
    >know when that will be available do you?
    >
    >Kind regards and many many thanks.
    >
    >Vic
    >PS Pompey for the FA Cup
    >
    >"Vic Russell" wrote in message
    >>I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
    >>re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to work.
    >>It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting
    >>somewhere. However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it
    >>was Local only again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to
    >>blame. I had another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was
    >>totally fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link and
    >>it did indeed connect for a couple of seconds.
    >>
    >> Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless USB
    >> adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age. Something
    >> is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news groups
    >> it would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a
    >> solution. How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this?
    >> Ican't find anything useful.
    >>
    >> Do you have any more info on this Barb?
    >>
    >> Kind regards,
    >>
    >> Vic
    >>
    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> Can you try a different router ?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  12. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    Thanks Barb. It's all still going although a little lumpy - technical term
    for pauses before loading up something really fast. Still that's another
    story. Hopefully SP1 will improve things.

    Regards, Vic.

    > Interesting that LLTD would be causing this. You won't be able to
    > use the Network Map in Vista, but --
    >
    > SP1 - mid March for most people
    > see
    > http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...customers.aspx
    >
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK
    >>now;
    >>even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
    >>router so fingers crossed!!!
    >>
    >>I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of
    >>the
    >>"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
    >>attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find where
    >>read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
    >>properties) would appear to have done it for me.
    >>
    >>Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
    >>appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced
    >>by
    >>having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen
    >>know when that will be available do you?
    >>
    >>Kind regards and many many thanks.
    >>
    >>Vic
    >>PS Pompey for the FA Cup
    >>
    >>"Vic Russell" wrote in message
    >>>I have now tried with another router ( an old Belkin 11g type). I
    >>>re-installed the driver for the Linksys adapter and it all started to
    >>>work.
    >>>It was still working after 10 minutes and I thought I was getting
    >>>somewhere. However, I then re-booted and when the system came back up it
    >>>was Local only again. So I suppose it is not the Netgear router fully to
    >>>blame. I had another go at getting the Netgear adapter to work which was
    >>>totally fruitless. I chose to let the Netgear device configure the link
    >>>and
    >>>it did indeed connect for a couple of seconds.
    >>>
    >>> Whenever I get the problem (wee all the time if either of the Wireless
    >>> USB
    >>> adapters are plugged in) then closing down windows takes an age.
    >>> Something
    >>> is seriously wrong here! Looking through all the forums and b=news
    >>> groups
    >>> it would seem that this is a really common problem but no-one has a
    >>> solution. How can this be? What has Microsoft have to say about this?
    >>> Ican't find anything useful.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have any more info on this Barb?
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards,
    >>>
    >>> Vic
    >>>
    >>> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  13. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    SP1 installed and all still looks good. I have been able to put the LLTD
    stuff back but not the IP6. Sometimes the link shows Local Only but seems to
    spring back to life as soon as it is needed. Is this expected?

    Vic

    > Thanks Barb. It's all still going although a little lumpy - technical term
    > for pauses before loading up something really fast. Still that's another
    > story. Hopefully SP1 will improve things.
    >
    > Regards, Vic.
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> Interesting that LLTD would be causing this. You won't be able to
    >> use the Network Map in Vista, but --
    >>
    >> SP1 - mid March for most people
    >> see
    >> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...customers.aspx
    >>
    >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:33:28 -0000, "Vic Russell"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Further news! I hope I am not speaking too soon but all seems to be OK
    >>>now;
    >>>even after a couple of reboots. I'm also back on the NetGear Wireless N
    >>>router so fingers crossed!!!
    >>>
    >>>I picked up somewhere in a news group how someone had turned off both of
    >>>the
    >>>"Link-Layer Topology Discovery settings. I'm sorry not to be able to
    >>>attribute this bit of a nugget (for me anyway) but I just can't find
    >>>where I
    >>>read it now. Anyway, that along with turning off IP6 (all in the adapters
    >>>properties) would appear to have done it for me.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for all your help Barb. This has been driving me crazy and I
    >>>appreciate your support. Hopefully I'm not going to be too inconvenienced
    >>>by
    >>>having these three settings disabled. Roll-on Vista SP1. You don't happen
    >>>know when that will be available do you?
    >>>
    >>>Kind regards and many many thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Vic
    >>>PS Pompey for the FA Cup
    >>>
    >>>"Vic Russell" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

  14. Re: Vista, NetGear Router, Linksys USB Wireless N - help

    a lot depends upon the NIC and drivers and the negotiation with the
    router as well as power management settings.