auto-config CD - Wireless

This is a discussion on auto-config CD - Wireless ; I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my wireless AP. How can I do this?...

  1. auto-config CD

    I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    wireless AP. How can I do this?

  2. Re: auto-config CD

    "Englot" wrote in message

    > I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    > wireless AP. How can I do this?

    It sounds as if you plan to duplicate the NETSETUP.EXE
    created by the WinXP Network Wizard: or do you want
    something different?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: auto-config CD

    Hi
    If your Wireless works OK and it set to Connect to available APs and your AP
    SSIS is a yap of the preferred Network it would Auto Connect.
    I.a. It not clear what you expect the CD to do.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Englot" wrote in message
    >I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    > wireless AP. How can I do this?

  4. Re: auto-config CD

    here is the senario:

    I have an office where people come and go all the time. I would like to
    create a wireless key CD for the initial connection. Where it sets the
    prefered network and WEP key automatically for the client, simply by droping
    in the cd in to the laptop.

    I get complaints all the time from clients when they have to type in a 128
    bit WEP key.

    Maybe I culd work out a reg file to set thsi up?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If your Wireless works OK and it set to Connect to available APs and your AP
    > SSIS is a yap of the preferred Network it would Auto Connect.
    > I.a. It not clear what you expect the CD to do.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Englot" wrote in message
    > >I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    > > wireless AP. How can I do this?

  5. Re: auto-config CD

    Hi
    Even if it can be done via the Registry, I think that I would not "mess"
    with other people Registry, or core Wireless settings.
    You can put the security code in a text file, save it to a Flash Drive and
    give them the Flash Drive to copy and paste.
    P.S. I am a little surprise that an Office envioroment still uses Wireless
    with highly insecure WEP???
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Englot" wrote in message
    > here is the senario:
    >
    > I have an office where people come and go all the time. I would like to
    > create a wireless key CD for the initial connection. Where it sets the
    > prefered network and WEP key automatically for the client, simply by
    > droping
    > in the cd in to the laptop.
    >
    > I get complaints all the time from clients when they have to type in a 128
    > bit WEP key.
    >
    > Maybe I culd work out a reg file to set thsi up?
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> If your Wireless works OK and it set to Connect to available APs and your
    >> AP
    >> SSIS is a yap of the preferred Network it would Auto Connect.
    >> I.a. It not clear what you expect the CD to do.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Englot" wrote in message
    >> >I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    >> > wireless AP. How can I do this?

  6. Re: auto-config CD

    use Windows Connect Now (or WPS) with a USB flash key that can be
    plugged into each machine. And use WPA2 or WPA. WEP is ridiculously
    unsafe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  7. Re: auto-config CD

    Hi
    There is a reason to why I suggested the copy and paste method.
    It seems that the OP is Not aware of the security trepidations of Wireless
    connection, or what can be the outcome of "playing" with other people
    Windows Registry and Network settings..
    Sharing only the key is the least of possible evils.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Hi
    > If your Wireless works OK and it set to Connect to available APs and your
    > AP SSIS is a yap of the preferred Network it would Auto Connect.
    > I.a. It not clear what you expect the CD to do.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Englot" wrote in message
    >>I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    >> wireless AP. How can I do this?

+ Reply to Thread