need help with physical layout - D-Link products - Wireless

This is a discussion on need help with physical layout - D-Link products - Wireless ; I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call Sales. So I thought I'd ask here. ============== I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building. I have a DI-525 wireless ...

  1. need help with physical layout - D-Link products

    I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call
    Sales. So I thought I'd ask here.

    ==============
    I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building.

    I have a DI-525 wireless router in our main building, wired to a DES-1024
    unmanaged switch. One of the DWL-2200AP's (wireless access points) has an
    external, omni-directional antenna on our roof to broadcast to our other
    buildings. In one of those I need to put a minimum of 3 DWL-2200AP's. I
    already have a directional antenna pointed at the main building's antenna,
    with the cable for it run into that building's attic.

    The DI-525 is setup as the DHCP server. I want all AP's on the same SSID,
    channel, and WPA2 Personal with 'pass-phrase'.

    My question is: What device do I need to serve as the "hub" for the 3 AP's?
    Or can I connect a DWL-2200AP to that antenna, run a cable from it to a hub
    or unmanaged switch and then connect the other two AP's to that switch?

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. Re: need help with physical layout - D-Link products

    Hi
    A regular switch would do.
    I do not know the amount of load and stability that you need over this
    Network. The DWL-2200APs are good devices that can be used in a
    semiprofessional environment, the DI-525 is a low end device that might Not
    do an adequate job.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call
    >Sales. So I thought I'd ask here.
    >
    > ==============
    > I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building.
    >
    > I have a DI-525 wireless router in our main building, wired to a DES-1024
    > unmanaged switch. One of the DWL-2200AP's (wireless access points) has an
    > external, omni-directional antenna on our roof to broadcast to our other
    > buildings. In one of those I need to put a minimum of 3 DWL-2200AP's. I
    > already have a directional antenna pointed at the main building's antenna,
    > with the cable for it run into that building's attic.
    >
    > The DI-525 is setup as the DHCP server. I want all AP's on the same SSID,
    > channel, and WPA2 Personal with 'pass-phrase'.
    >
    > My question is: What device do I need to serve as the "hub" for the 3
    > AP's? Or can I connect a DWL-2200AP to that antenna, run a cable from it
    > to a hub or unmanaged switch and then connect the other two AP's to that
    > switch?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

  3. Re: need help with physical layout - D-Link products

    Thanks!

    > Hi
    > A regular switch would do.
    > I do not know the amount of load and stability that you need over this
    > Network. The DWL-2200APs are good devices that can be used in a
    > semiprofessional environment, the DI-525 is a low end device that might
    > Not do an adequate job.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike Webb" wrote in message
    >>I sent the below to D-Link, but they side-stepped and asked me to call
    >>Sales. So I thought I'd ask here.
    >>
    >> ==============
    >> I need advice on how to properly extend my WLAN to another building.
    >>
    >> I have a DI-525 wireless router in our main building, wired to a DES-1024
    >> unmanaged switch. One of the DWL-2200AP's (wireless access points) has
    >> an external, omni-directional antenna on our roof to broadcast to our
    >> other buildings. In one of those I need to put a minimum of 3
    >> DWL-2200AP's. I already have a directional antenna pointed at the main
    >> building's antenna, with the cable for it run into that building's attic.
    >>
    >> The DI-525 is setup as the DHCP server. I want all AP's on the same SSID,
    >> channel, and WPA2 Personal with 'pass-phrase'.
    >>
    >> My question is: What device do I need to serve as the "hub" for the 3
    >> AP's? Or can I connect a DWL-2200AP to that antenna, run a cable from it
    >> to a hub or unmanaged switch and then connect the other two AP's to that
    >> switch?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

+ Reply to Thread