Can't share files or printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't share files or printer - Wireless ; On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a hand. -- | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | ...

  1. Can't share files or printer

    --
    | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    Card |

  2. Re: Can't share files or printer

    Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "tad1073" wrote in message
    > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
    > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
    > hand.
    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |

  3. Re: Can't share files or printer

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "tad1073" wrote in message
    > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
    > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
    > hand.
    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |

  4. Re: Can't share files or printer

    I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next problem.
    I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
    don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly for
    printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I just
    don't know.

    Here is the out-put of net share.

    print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline Rescue of
    he South
    Fancy Feline Rescue of the South
    MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
    Mom's Pictures
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
    CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
    CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
    CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share created by
    Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
    --

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "tad1073" wrote in message
    > > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
    > > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a
    > > hand.
    > > --
    > > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > > Card |

  5. Re: Can't share files or printer

    We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
    post may help. Please post back with the result.

    need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
    desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
    WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5

    --

    "tad1073" wrote in message
    > I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next
    > problem.
    > I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
    > don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly
    > for
    > printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I
    > just
    > don't know.
    >
    > Here is the out-put of net share.

    > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > Printer Drivers
    > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline
    > Rescue of
    > he South
    > Fancy Feline Rescue of the
    > South
    > MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
    > Mom's Pictures
    > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    >
    > Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
    > CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
    > CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
    > CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share
    > created by
    > Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    > Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>

    >> "tad1073" wrote in message
    >> > On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in
    >> > "M
    >> > yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me
    >> > hand.
    >> > --
    >> > Gutsy
    >> > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    >> > Ethernet
    >> > Card |

  6. Re: Can't share files or printer

    I have tried everthing but nothing seems to work. Also when I try to access
    to "View Workgroup Cpmputers" I get an error message stating:

    "Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contack the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions.

    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

    I get this message even when I have my ubuntu box turned on. I tried to ping
    ubuntu but the request timed out. any suggestions?

    --

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
    > post may help. Please post back with the result.
    >
    > need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
    > desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
    > WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5
    >

    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >

    > "tad1073" wrote in message
    > > I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next
    > > problem.
    > > I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
    > > don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly
    > > for
    > > printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I
    > > just
    > > don't know.
    > >
    > > Here is the out-put of net share.

    > > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > > Printer Drivers
    > > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > > FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline
    > > Rescue of
    > > he South
    > > Fancy Feline Rescue of the
    > > South
    > > MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
    > > Mom's Pictures
    > > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    > >
    > > Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
    > > CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
    > > CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
    > > CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share
    > > created by
    > > Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    > > Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
    > > --
    > > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > > Card |
    > >

    > > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >>

    > >> "tad1073" wrote in message

  7. Re: Can't share files or printer

    I did "net view \\myipaddress" and it returned access denied. Somebody give
    me some good information.
    --

    "tad1073" wrote:

    > I have tried everthing but nothing seems to work. Also when I try to access
    > to "View Workgroup Cpmputers" I get an error message stating:
    >
    > "Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
    > resource. Contack the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    > access permissions.
    >
    > The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."
    >
    > I get this message even when I have my ubuntu box turned on. I tried to ping
    > ubuntu but the request timed out. any suggestions?
    >

    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
    > > post may help. Please post back with the result.
    > >
    > > need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
    > > desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
    > > WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
    > > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aa9069d9b6b5b5
    > >

    > > --
    > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    > > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > >

    > > "tad1073" wrote in message
    > > > I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next
    > > > problem.
    > > > I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
    > > > don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly
    > > > for
    > > > printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I
    > > > just
    > > > don't know.
    > > >
    > > > Here is the out-put of net share.
    > > >
    > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > > print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    > > > Printer Drivers
    > > > IPC$ Remote IPC
    > > > FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline
    > > > Rescue of
    > > > he South
    > > > Fancy Feline Rescue of the
    > > > South
    > > > MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
    > > > Mom's Pictures
    > > > SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
    > > >
    > > > Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
    > > > CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
    > > > CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
    > > > CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share
    > > > created by
    > > > Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    > > > Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C
    > > > --
    > > > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > > > Card |