Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N - Wireless ; I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant. Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless still ...

  1. Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
    Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
    1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
    still doesn't work.

    I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
    adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
    20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.

    Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
    very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
    either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
    think that that may have something to do with it.

    Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or AES"
    and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able to
    choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
    well.

    Anyway, here's a description of the problem:

    The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow. When
    my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and it
    is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or 10
    seconds, and so the cycle continues.

    If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of my
    wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises to
    100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same wherever
    I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router makes
    no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
    course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).

    And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
    between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of which
    work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.

    Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
    there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

    Thanks

    John

  2. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    John wrote:
    > I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
    > Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with
    > Firmware 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the
    > wireless still doesn't work.
    >
    > I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
    > adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both
    > standard 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
    >
    > Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised
    > and very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N
    > is just either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or
    > N, because I think that that may have something to do with it.
    >
    > Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP
    > or AES" and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user
    > being able to choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something
    > to do with it as well.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
    >
    > The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode
    > somehow. When my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only
    > running at 24Mbps and it is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds,
    > then it drops out for about 5 or 10 seconds, and so the cycle
    > continues.
    > If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump
    > of my wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality -
    > it rises to 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is
    > the same wherever I take my laptop in the house - near the router or
    > far from the router makes no difference (apart from signal strength
    > and quality gets lower, of course - maybe even as low as 20% but the
    > "pulse" aspect is still
    > there).
    > And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
    > between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both
    > of which work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys
    > WAG325N.
    > Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or
    > is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

    Sorry, fingers too fast for brain - should have said XP Pro SP2.

    John

  3. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    first, be sure you have
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357

    second, disable the proprietary software to manage the wireless and
    try windows native tools.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  4. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    Hi
    After you check what was suggested by Barb. Reset the Wireless to Default
    settings, the settings that you played with probably make it worse. These
    settings are not meant to be changed for regular Wireless use.
    Start with the Wireless client sitting near the Wireless Router and do not
    use Signal strength as the Indicator for the Wireless Quality since it is
    quite meaningless indicator. Use real file transfer instead, and try all the
    channels in the Router until you find the one that provides the best stable
    transfer.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Also make sure that the Power saving of the Wireless card is Off.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "John" wrote in message
    > I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
    > Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
    > 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
    > still doesn't work.
    >
    > I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
    > adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
    > 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
    >
    > Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
    > very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
    > either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
    > think that that may have something to do with it.
    >
    > Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or
    > AES"
    > and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able
    > choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
    > well.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
    >
    > The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow.
    > When
    > my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and
    > it
    > is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or
    > 10
    > seconds, and so the cycle continues.
    >
    > If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of
    > my
    > wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises
    > 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same
    > wherever
    > I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router
    > makes
    > no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
    > course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).
    >
    > And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
    > between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of
    > which
    > work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
    >
    > Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
    > there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

  5. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    Thanks Barb, will do.

    John

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > first, be sure you have
    > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893357
    >
    > second, disable the proprietary software to manage the wireless and
    > try windows native tools.
    >
    > On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:47:54 -0000, "John" wrote:
    >
    >> I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is
    >> brilliant. Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It
    >> came with Firmware
    >> 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the
    >> wireless still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
    >> adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both
    >> standard 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
    >>
    >> Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised
    >> and very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the
    >> WAG325N is just either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as
    >> B, G, or N, because I think that that may have something to do with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP
    >> or AES" and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the
    >> user being able to choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has
    >> something to do with it as well.
    >>
    >> Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
    >>
    >> The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode
    >> somehow. When my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only
    >> running at 24Mbps and it is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds,
    >> then it drops out for about 5 or 10 seconds, and so the cycle
    >> continues.
    >>
    >> If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a
    >> screen-dump of my wireless adapter software showing signal strength
    >> and quality - it rises to 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops
    >> etc., etc. It is the same wherever I take my laptop in the house -
    >> near the router or far from the router makes no difference (apart
    >> from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
    >> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still
    >> there).
    >>
    >> And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can
    >> change between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home
    >> Hub, both of which work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with
    >> the Linksys WAG325N.
    >>
    >> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store,
    >> or is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John

  6. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

    John

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> [...]
    >> screen-dump of my
    >> wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it
    >> rises to
    >> 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same
    >> wherever
    >> I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the
    >> router makes
    >> no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
    >> course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still
    >> there). And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can
    >> change between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home
    >> Hub, both of which
    >> work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
    >>
    >> Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store,
    >> or is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

  7. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    John wrote:
    > I've just got a WAG325N and the ADSL/internet side of it is brilliant.
    > Trouble is, the wireless side of it isn't working. It came with Firmware
    > 1.00.08 so I flashed it to the latest available (1.00.11) but the wireless
    > still doesn't work.
    >
    > I've tried every available channel and, because I have no wireless N
    > adapters (only wireless G), I've tried the "Radio Band" at both standard
    > 20MHz and wide 40MHz - but that doesn't work either.
    >
    > Having had a WAG54GS and been very pleased with that, I'm surprised and
    > very, VERY, annoyed that the wireless network mode of the WAG325N is just
    > either "Mixed" or "Disabled" and not selectable as B, G, or N, because I
    > think that that may have something to do with it.
    >
    > Also, the encryption method is listed in the drop-down box as "TKIP or AES"
    > and it seems to be automatically chosen, rather than the user being able to
    > choose TKIP or to choose AES - maybe this has something to do with it as
    > well.
    >
    > Anyway, here's a description of the problem:
    >
    > The wireless seems to be working in a "burst" or "pulse" mode somehow. When
    > my laptop sees a signal from the router it is only running at 24Mbps and it
    > is only there for about 5 to 10 seconds, then it drops out for about 5 or 10
    > seconds, and so the cycle continues.
    >
    > If you look here www.thehewitts.eu/wifi.html you'll see a screen-dump of my
    > wireless adapter software showing signal strength and quality - it rises to
    > 100% and then drops, 100% and then drops etc., etc. It is the same wherever
    > I take my laptop in the house - near the router or far from the router makes
    > no difference (apart from signal strength and quality gets lower, of
    > course - maybe even as low as 20% but the "pulse" aspect is still there).
    >
    > And it is definitely not any form of interference because I can change
    > between my BT Voyager 2091 wireless router and my BT Home Hub, both of which
    > work perfectly wirelessly - the problem is with the Linksys WAG325N.
    >
    > Have I got a faulty router that needs to be returned to the store, or is
    > there some setting I'm missing somewhere?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    If you can't solve things with the advice from Barb and Jack, here are
    some more thoughts.

    There are 2 aspects of encryption: what Linksys calls "security mode"
    and what Linksys calls "encryption" or "encryption method." You *must*
    be sure that the "security mode" of the router is set either to
    "WPA2-Personal" or "WPA-Personal." Be sure that you haven't selected
    an "Enterprise" version of the security. Also, although WPA2 is
    supposed to be backwards compatible with WPA, if your laptop adapter can
    only handle WPA, try setting the router's "security mode" to WPA-Personal.

    As shown in the User's Guide, originally this router, like older Linksys
    routers, apparently offered the choice of using either TKIP or AES
    (although WPA2 mandates AES) for the "encryption" method. As of
    firmware version 1.00.08, "security encryption [changed] to TKIP+AES for
    WPA/WPA2 to allow clients using TKIP or AES to connect (NOTE: known
    performance issue with TKIP encyption)." (Read the firmware release
    notes). Also note that firmware version 1.00.11 is *only* for "Annex A"
    hardware. Because version 1.00.08 seems also to be available only for
    "Annex A" hardware, if that's what your device came with, you're
    probably OK.

    In any case, I suggest that you set the "security mode" to "Disabled"
    and then attempt to connect. Be sure to delete any profile/preferred
    network entry that you created earlier on your laptop so that it doesn't
    attempt to connect to the unsecured network using a stored passphrase.
    If you can connect without using encryption, then enable encryption
    appropriately. If you can't, it's sounding more like defective hardware
    (but see next paragraph).

    Finally, if everything else fails, go to the appropriate forum on
    linksysinfo.org and describe your problem there. There are some very
    knowledgeable users of Linksys products there, and if someone has seen
    anything like what you describe, you're more likely to get a straight
    answer there then from Linksys support.
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=130

    [a very quick glance there suggests that the .08 firmware was
    problematic, so you were probably right to go to .11, but perhaps there
    was a problem in flashing. I'd ask first before re-flashing.]

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  8. Re: Wireless not working - Linksys WAG325N

    Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > doesn't attempt to connect to the unsecured network using a stored
    > passphrase. If you can connect without using encryption, then enable
    > encryption
    > appropriately. If you can't, it's sounding more like defective
    > hardware (but see next paragraph).
    >
    > Finally, if everything else fails, go to the appropriate forum on
    > linksysinfo.org and describe your problem there. There are some very
    > knowledgeable users of Linksys products there, and if someone has seen
    > anything like what you describe, you're more likely to get a straight
    > answer there then from Linksys support.
    > http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=130
    >
    > [a very quick glance there suggests that the .08 firmware was
    > problematic, so you were probably right to go to .11, but perhaps
    > there was a problem in flashing. I'd ask first before re-flashing.]

    Thanks very much Lem. I've been busy so haven't yet had chance to try either
    Barb or Jack's advice but hopefully tomorrow.

    Cheers my friend,

    John

+ Reply to Thread