router password problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on router password problem - Wireless ; After setting up my wifi router I decided to put a password on the log in to it. I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but left the old password blank as it didn't have ...

  1. router password problem

    After setting up my wifi router

    I decided to put a password on the log in to it.

    I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but
    left the old password blank as it didn't have one.

    Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)

    It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    anything. So I am OK for the short term but...

    All I get in Internet explorer 7 is

    HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required

    does any one have any suggestions?

    Its a thompson speedtouch 580

    thanks
    --
    Nospam

  2. Re: router password problem

    "Nospam" wrote in message
    > After setting up my wifi router
    >
    > I decided to put a password on the log in to it.
    >
    > I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but
    > left the old password blank as it didn't have one.
    >
    > Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)
    >
    > It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    > anything. So I am OK for the short term but...
    >

    > All I get in Internet explorer 7 is
    >
    > HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
    >
    > does any one have any suggestions?
    >
    > Its a thompson speedtouch 580
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    > Nospam

    While I know nothing about your router, I can say that there should be a way
    to recover to the default settings.
    And one of those default settings is a blank password for the router.
    You should consult the manual.
    Jim

  3. Re: router password problem

    Hi
    Almost all Routers have a Hard Reset that puts it back to the manufacturer
    Default setting.
    Look for it in the manual. Before doing the Hard Reset write down for
    yourself any changes that you made to the Router, and do the Reset.
    After Reset you need to configure again all the settings that you previously
    changed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Nospam" wrote in message
    > After setting up my wifi router
    >
    > I decided to put a password on the log in to it.
    >
    > I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box) but
    > left the old password blank as it didn't have one.
    >
    > Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)
    >
    > It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    > anything. So I am OK for the short term but...
    >

    > All I get in Internet explorer 7 is
    >
    > HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
    >
    > does any one have any suggestions?
    >
    > Its a thompson speedtouch 580
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    > Nospam

  4. Re: router password problem

    In message , "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." writes
    >Hi
    >Almost all Routers have a Hard Reset that puts it back to the
    >manufacturer Default setting.
    >Look for it in the manual. Before doing the Hard Reset write down for
    >yourself any changes that you made to the Router, and do the Reset.
    >After Reset you need to configure again all the settings that you
    >previously changed.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Nospam" wrote in message
    >> After setting up my wifi router
    >>
    >> I decided to put a password on the log in to it.
    >>
    >> I entered the new password twice (main box and the confirmation box)
    >>but left the old password blank as it didn't have one.
    >>
    >> Now I can't log into the router. (192.168.1.254)
    >>
    >> It still works I can access the net etc. just can't log in to change
    >>anything. So I am OK for the short term but...
    >>

    >> All I get in Internet explorer 7 is
    >>
    >> HTTP/1.0 401 Authorization Required
    >>
    >> does any one have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Its a thompson speedtouch 580
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> -- Nospam

    Thanks for the response.

    It appears that the router has issues with IE7

    I was advised to use telnet to access the router and type

    system config digestauth=disabled

    I'm not sure what this command does but it fixed the problem.

    --
    Nospam

+ Reply to Thread