ip address question - Wireless

This is a discussion on ip address question - Wireless ; Hi can someone tell me what the following line means? 192.168.1.254/24 Its an ip address but what is the /24 what is a sub net mask? Thanks -- Nospam...

  1. ip address question

    --
    Nospam

  2. Re: ip address question

    Hi
    IP Address/Mask Type
    /24 means mask 255.255.255.0
    Which is the common mask used in 192.168.x.x devices
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Nospam" wrote in message
    > Hi can someone tell me what the following line means?
    >
    > 192.168.1.254/24
    >

    > Its an ip address but what is the /24
    >

    > what is a sub net mask?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Nospam

  3. Re: ip address question

    The /24 is an optional used to denote bit structer in sub-netting.

    It is too complex for a reply within the newsgroup.
    Suggest you get to Barnes and Noble (or any good bookstore) - cup of
    coffee - and read about the subject.

    "Nospam" wrote in message
    > Hi can someone tell me what the following line means?
    >
    > 192.168.1.254/24
    >

    > Its an ip address but what is the /24
    >

    > what is a sub net mask?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Nospam

  4. Re: ip address question

    Thank you.

    What does a subnet mask do?

    In message , "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." writes

    --
    Nospam

  5. Re: ip address question

    Hi
    May be this can Help, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Nospam" wrote in message

    > Thank you.
    >
    > What does a subnet mask do?
    >

    > In message , "Jack
    > (MVP-Networking)." writes
    >>Hi
    >>IP Address/Mask Type
    >>/24 means mask 255.255.255.0
    >>Which is the common mask used in 192.168.x.x devices
    >>Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >>"Nospam" wrote in message
    >>> Hi can someone tell me what the following line means?
    >>>
    >>> 192.168.1.254/24
    >>>

    >>> Its an ip address but what is the /24
    >>>

    >>> what is a sub net mask?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> -- Nospam

    > --
    > Nospam

  6. Re: ip address question

    In message , "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." writes
    >Hi
    >May be this can Help, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks, should have looked there first.

    --
    Nospam

  7. Re: ip address question

    When a network is subnetted it is seperated into groups of I.P addresses that
    make up seperate networks within a larger range of I.P addresses. This
    allows companies to more efficiently utilize I.P addresses, for example you
    would not have to use the 192.168.x.x scheme for one network and a 10.62.x.x
    scheme for a second network, with subnetting you can break up the 192.168.x.x
    addresses into "blocks" that keep the 2 networks seperate. One segment could
    be in the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 range and the other in the
    192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.200 range and so on.

    The subnet mask tells the router which "block" your computer belongs to and
    routs the data properly. With the 255.255.255.0 mask the whole range of the
    192.168.x.x scheme is within the same network, it is not segmented.

    "Nospam" wrote:

    > In message , "Jack
    > (MVP-Networking)." writes
    > >Hi