File and Printer Sharing - Wireless

This is a discussion on File and Printer Sharing - Wireless ; I need some help setting up my home network. Our main computer is running Windows XP sp2, which is in the kitchen. My computer is a Linux machine, Ubuntu 7.10, which is in my room. We have a D-link DI-624 ...

  1. File and Printer Sharing

    I need some help setting up my home network. Our main computer is running
    Windows XP sp2, which is in the kitchen. My computer is a Linux machine,
    Ubuntu 7.10, which is in my room. We have a D-link DI-624 wireless router and
    I have set-up my AP and encryption type and am not using a static IP. Now I
    need to figure out how to access my files and the printer on the XP machine.
    I have "My Files" as shared, but it doesn't show up in "My Network Places" .
    The printer is also shared.

    On my Linux macnine I have Samba (SMB) which is a Windows share program. I
    am using roaming mode so my IP address chaneges when the lease is up etc. etc.

    I need to know how to set-up the XP machine so I can see "My Files" and the
    printer from the Linux machine.
    --
    | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    Card |

  2. RE: File and Printer Sharing

    --

    "tad1073" wrote:

    > I need some help setting up my home network. Our main computer is running
    > Windows XP sp2, which is in the kitchen. My computer is a Linux machine,
    > Ubuntu 7.10, which is in my room. We have a D-link DI-624 wireless router and
    > I have set-up my AP and encryption type and am not using a static IP. Now I
    > need to figure out how to access my files and the printer on the XP machine.
    > I have "My Files" as shared, but it doesn't show up in "My Network Places" .
    > The printer is also shared.
    >
    > On my Linux macnine I have Samba (SMB) which is a Windows share program. I
    > am using roaming mode so my IP address chaneges when the lease is up etc. etc.
    >
    > I need to know how to set-up the XP machine so I can see "My Files" and the
    > printer from the Linux machine.
    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |
    >
    > Can no one help me with this? I am trying to figure out how to set-up xp to share files using the SMB protocol. Anyone?

  3. RE: File and Printer Sharing

    No one can help me with this? I thought people who use M$ are as smart as
    Bill Gates?
    --

    "tad1073" wrote:

    > I need some help setting up my home network. Our main computer is running
    > Windows XP sp2, which is in the kitchen. My computer is a Linux machine,
    > Ubuntu 7.10, which is in my room. We have a D-link DI-624 wireless router and
    > I have set-up my AP and encryption type and am not using a static IP. Now I
    > need to figure out how to access my files and the printer on the XP machine.
    > I have "My Files" as shared, but it doesn't show up in "My Network Places" .
    > The printer is also shared.
    >
    > On my Linux macnine I have Samba (SMB) which is a Windows share program. I
    > am using roaming mode so my IP address chaneges when the lease is up etc. etc.
    >
    > I need to know how to set-up the XP machine so I can see "My Files" and the
    > printer from the Linux machine.
    > --
    > | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    > | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    > Card |
    >
    > Can no one help me with this? I am trying to figure out how to set-up xp to share files using the SMB protocol. Anyone?

  4. Re: File and Printer Sharing

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:34:05 -0800, tad1073 wrote:

    >No one can help me with this? I thought people who use M$ are as smart as
    >Bill Gates?

    With a pair of Microsoft computers, we would start with logs from "browstat
    status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation",
    from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
    instructions precisely (download browstat!):

    You can produce those logs from the Windows XP computer, but I don't know what
    equivalents you can get from Linux. All 4 logs, from each computer, are very
    useful in visibility problems like yours. I'll let you read my articles on
    network diagnostics, and suggest that you find equivalent diagnostics in Linux.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

    --
    Cheers,