very short range - Wireless

This is a discussion on very short range - Wireless ; I installed a new tp-link router (I am sure I configured it correctly) and the following were the initial symptoms: 1) The laptop which successfully connected to the network at the beginning, could only use the network in the same ...

  1. very short range

    I installed a new tp-link router (I am sure I configured it correctly) and
    the following were the initial symptoms:
    1) The laptop which successfully connected to the network at the beginning,
    could only use the network in the same room and a few feet outside the room.
    A few meters further (i.e. in the next room, the network could not be seem).
    I used my pda which showed good signal inside the room but poor signal
    outside the room, no signal in the 3rd room)
    2) I changed channel, upgraded firmware, made a few changes in
    configuration, but with no effect. After a while, even with the same
    settings, the laptop which is Windows XP SP2, cannot connect to this
    network. The network is now detected but if you try to connect, it says
    "please wait......." and after 2 minutes nothing happens.it doesn't connect
    at all but with no error message.

    I have tried all possible solutions that I am aware of. The only strange
    thing about this router is that it has an option for country which controls
    frequencies. I tried to use USA as well but I cannot conect at all now
    anyway.

    Can someone explain if this is a problem with the laptop or the router?

  2. Re: very short range

    Hi
    The probability is that the specific Router (or the all the Routers of this
    Model) provide poor coverage.
    However without a frame of reference there is No way to an End User to know.
    I.e. if your laptop works well in other locations; then it is the Router, or
    a very strong 2.4GHz noise in your environment, or a lot of metal in the
    walls.
    Alternatively if you can borrow a Router that is known to work well and try
    it in your environment it might shed more light on the problem to.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Andreas Y." wrote in message
    >I installed a new tp-link router (I am sure I configured it correctly) and
    >the following were the initial symptoms:
    > 1) The laptop which successfully connected to the network at the
    > beginning, could only use the network in the same room and a few feet
    > outside the room. A few meters further (i.e. in the next room, the network
    > could not be seem). I used my pda which showed good signal inside the room
    > but poor signal outside the room, no signal in the 3rd room)
    > 2) I changed channel, upgraded firmware, made a few changes in
    > configuration, but with no effect. After a while, even with the same
    > settings, the laptop which is Windows XP SP2, cannot connect to this
    > network. The network is now detected but if you try to connect, it says
    > "please wait......." and after 2 minutes nothing happens.it doesn't
    > connect at all but with no error message.
    >
    > I have tried all possible solutions that I am aware of. The only strange
    > thing about this router is that it has an option for country which
    > controls frequencies. I tried to use USA as well but I cannot conect at
    > all now anyway.
    >
    > Can someone explain if this is a problem with the laptop or the router?

  3. Re: very short range

    I agree with the 1st one although it is not reasonable again. Even the
    weakest router should work at least 2 rooms nearby. This one only works in
    the same room. Also it is advertised as 2-3x extended range.

    What about the 2nd issue. (The XP client discovers but stays on "Please
    Wait..". This should connect in 2 seconds). Could this be an issue with XP?

    > Hi
    > The probability is that the specific Router (or the all the Routers of

    this
    > Model) provide poor coverage.
    > However without a frame of reference there is No way to an End User to

    know.
    > I.e. if your laptop works well in other locations; then it is the Router,

    or
    > a very strong 2.4GHz noise in your environment, or a lot of metal in the
    > walls.
    > Alternatively if you can borrow a Router that is known to work well and

    try
    > it in your environment it might shed more light on the problem to.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Andreas Y." wrote in message
    > >I installed a new tp-link router (I am sure I configured it correctly)

    and
    > >the following were the initial symptoms:
    > > 1) The laptop which successfully connected to the network at the
    > > beginning, could only use the network in the same room and a few feet
    > > outside the room. A few meters further (i.e. in the next room, the

    network
    > > could not be seem). I used my pda which showed good signal inside the

    room
    > > but poor signal outside the room, no signal in the 3rd room)
    > > 2) I changed channel, upgraded firmware, made a few changes in
    > > configuration, but with no effect. After a while, even with the same
    > > settings, the laptop which is Windows XP SP2, cannot connect to this
    > > network. The network is now detected but if you try to connect, it says
    > > "please wait......." and after 2 minutes nothing happens.it doesn't
    > > connect at all but with no error message.
    > >
    > > I have tried all possible solutions that I am aware of. The only strange
    > > thing about this router is that it has an option for country which
    > > controls frequencies. I tried to use USA as well but I cannot conect at
    > > all now anyway.
    > >
    > > Can someone explain if this is a problem with the laptop or the router?

  4. Re: very short range

    Hi
    It is usually a sign that the signal is weak (or noisy), it is detected but
    Not good enough to provide a solid IP.
    I would try another Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Andreas" wrote in message
    >I agree with the 1st one although it is not reasonable again. Even the
    > weakest router should work at least 2 rooms nearby. This one only works in
    > the same room. Also it is advertised as 2-3x extended range.
    >
    > What about the 2nd issue. (The XP client discovers but stays on "Please
    > Wait..". This should connect in 2 seconds). Could this be an issue with
    > XP?
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> The probability is that the specific Router (or the all the Routers of

    > this
    >> Model) provide poor coverage.
    >> However without a frame of reference there is No way to an End User to

    > know.
    >> I.e. if your laptop works well in other locations; then it is the Router,

    > or
    >> a very strong 2.4GHz noise in your environment, or a lot of metal in the
    >> walls.
    >> Alternatively if you can borrow a Router that is known to work well and

    > try
    >> it in your environment it might shed more light on the problem to.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Andreas Y." wrote in message
    >> >I installed a new tp-link router (I am sure I configured it correctly)

    > and
    >> >the following were the initial symptoms:
    >> > 1) The laptop which successfully connected to the network at the
    >> > beginning, could only use the network in the same room and a few feet
    >> > outside the room. A few meters further (i.e. in the next room, the

    > network
    >> > could not be seem). I used my pda which showed good signal inside the

    > room
    >> > but poor signal outside the room, no signal in the 3rd room)
    >> > 2) I changed channel, upgraded firmware, made a few changes in
    >> > configuration, but with no effect. After a while, even with the same
    >> > settings, the laptop which is Windows XP SP2, cannot connect to this
    >> > network. The network is now detected but if you try to connect, it says
    >> > "please wait......." and after 2 minutes nothing happens.it doesn't
    >> > connect at all but with no error message.
    >> >
    >> > I have tried all possible solutions that I am aware of. The only
    >> > strange
    >> > thing about this router is that it has an option for country which
    >> > controls frequencies. I tried to use USA as well but I cannot conect at
    >> > all now anyway.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone explain if this is a problem with the laptop or the router?

  5. Re: very short range

    I would check to see if you have other 2.4 GHz devices that are causing
    interference... I have experienced similar issues with wireless phone and
    video camera from security system causing disruption.
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread