Saving security key - Wireless

This is a discussion on Saving security key - Wireless ; Windows XP OS. I have a wireless network setup that is working. In the process of setting it up, the security key (WPA/AES) was changed. Now, when connecting the wireless, the old key (apparently, because I can't actually read it) ...

  1. Saving security key

    Windows XP OS. I have a wireless network setup that is working. In the
    process of setting it up, the security key (WPA/AES) was changed. Now, when
    connecting the wireless, the old key (apparently, because I can't actually
    read it) automatically shows up and the new correct key must be entered each
    time. What must be done to "save" the new, correct key so that it doesn't
    have to be entered manually each time?

  2. Re: Saving security key

    Hi
    Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    Configuration (WZC).
    Next time you log it would prompt again for the key and the entry would save
    in the preference table with the new key.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > Windows XP OS. I have a wireless network setup that is working. In the
    > process of setting it up, the security key (WPA/AES) was changed. Now,
    > when
    > connecting the wireless, the old key (apparently, because I can't actually
    > read it) automatically shows up and the new correct key must be entered
    > each
    > time. What must be done to "save" the new, correct key so that it doesn't
    > have to be entered manually each time?

  3. Re: Saving security key

    > Hi
    > Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    > Configuration (WZC).

    I thought there was simpler way. What exactly is WZC? Is it in the XP suite?

  4. Re: Saving security key

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:47938c1f$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message news:%23UMz8Y4WIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi
    >> Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC).

    > I thought there was simpler way. What exactly is WZC? Is it in the XP suite?

    Open Network connections.
    Open properties of your wireless adapter and go to Wireless tab.
    If your SSID is in the list at the bottom of that dialog (preferred networks) - delete it.
    Click ok out of the dialogs. Now it should be gone.

    Regards,
    --PA

  5. Re: Saving security key

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > "Suzy" wrote in message news:47938c1f$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    >>> Configuration (WZC).

    >> I thought there was simpler way. What exactly is WZC? Is it in the XP
    >> suite?

    > Open Network connections.
    > Open properties of your wireless adapter and go to Wireless tab.
    > If your SSID is in the list at the bottom of that dialog (preferred
    > networks) - delete it.
    > Click ok out of the dialogs. Now it should be gone.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    OK. Got that, but why?

  6. Re: Saving security key

    "Suzy" wrote in message news:4793abac@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

    > "Pavel A." wrote in message news:%23CJvtE5WIHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

    >>> I thought there was simpler way. What exactly is WZC? Is it in the XP suite?

    >> Open Network connections.
    >> Open properties of your wireless adapter and go to Wireless tab.
    >> If your SSID is in the list at the bottom of that dialog (preferred networks) - delete it.
    >> Click ok out of the dialogs. Now it should be gone.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA
    >>

    > OK. Got that, but why?

    Because we're doing the thing known as "troubleshooting".
    In this, it's very important to begin from a known state.
    Removing the configured SSID entries helps to achieve a known, clean state.

    Regards,
    --PA

  7. Re: Saving security key

    I have completed the steps below and get logged on to the wireless network
    correctly. However, when the computer is turned off (or rebooted), the older
    key is the one the system tries to use. It's like it really isn't deleted
    during the "remove" process. I have even rebooted the computer after doing
    the remove - same results.

    Please note that I was incorrect about the security type - it is WEP.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    > Configuration (WZC).
    > Next time you log it would prompt again for the key and the entry would save
    > in the preference table with the new key.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > > Windows XP OS. I have a wireless network setup that is working. In the
    > > process of setting it up, the security key (WPA/AES) was changed. Now,
    > > when
    > > connecting the wireless, the old key (apparently, because I can't actually
    > > read it) automatically shows up and the new correct key must be entered
    > > each
    > > time. What must be done to "save" the new, correct key so that it doesn't
    > > have to be entered manually each time?

  8. Re: Saving security key

    Hi
    First you should know that WEP is Not secure. If your hardware can do WPA,
    or even better WPA-AES switch to them.
    In any case WEP consists on passphrase that generate Hex string.
    Try to erase whatever you have concerning WEP in the wireless computer.
    Log to the Wireless Router and copy the actual WEP's Hex string.
    Paste the Hex string into the Wireless computer instead of using a
    passphrase.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Rick" wrote in message
    >I have completed the steps below and get logged on to the wireless network
    > correctly. However, when the computer is turned off (or rebooted), the
    > older
    > key is the one the system tries to use. It's like it really isn't deleted
    > during the "remove" process. I have even rebooted the computer after doing
    > the remove - same results.
    >
    > Please note that I was incorrect about the security type - it is WEP.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    >> Configuration (WZC).
    >> Next time you log it would prompt again for the key and the entry would
    >> save
    >> in the preference table with the new key.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> > Windows XP OS. I have a wireless network setup that is working. In the
    >> > process of setting it up, the security key (WPA/AES) was changed. Now,
    >> > when
    >> > connecting the wireless, the old key (apparently, because I can't
    >> > actually
    >> > read it) automatically shows up and the new correct key must be entered
    >> > each
    >> > time. What must be done to "save" the new, correct key so that it
    >> > doesn't
    >> > have to be entered manually each time?

  9. Re: Saving security key

    I am setting this up, by phone, for a customer who is quite rural, so
    security is not really an issue. To get them to change to WPA is neither
    time-effective or necessary.

    Please read my previous posts again. The correct passphrase/hex key can be
    entered and the wireless computer connects fine. However, when the system is
    shut down, that correct passphrase/hex key is NOT remembered on restart.
    Instead, a previous incorrect passphrase/hex key is remembered even when it
    has been erased or removed. It is like the incorrect passphrase/hex key
    cannot be truly deleted or replaced permanently by the correct one - it keeps
    popping back up.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > First you should know that WEP is Not secure. If your hardware can do WPA,
    > or even better WPA-AES switch to them.
    > In any case WEP consists on passphrase that generate Hex string.
    > Try to erase whatever you have concerning WEP in the wireless computer.
    > Log to the Wireless Router and copy the actual WEP's Hex string.
    > Paste the Hex string into the Wireless computer instead of using a
    > passphrase.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > >I have completed the steps below and get logged on to the wireless network
    > > correctly. However, when the computer is turned off (or rebooted), the
    > > older
    > > key is the one the system tries to use. It's like it really isn't deleted
    > > during the "remove" process. I have even rebooted the computer after doing
    > > the remove - same results.
    > >
    > > Please note that I was incorrect about the security type - it is WEP.
    > >

    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Clean up all the Preferred networks entries in Windows Wireless Zero
    > >> Configuration (WZC).
    > >> Next time you log it would prompt again for the key and the entry would
    > >> save
    > >> in the preference table with the new key.
    > >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Rick" wrote in message

  10. Re: Saving security key

    Hi
    Yeah I understand, my suggestion is to skip the passphrase and only use the
    Hex string.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Rick" wrote in message
    >I am setting this up, by phone, for a customer who is quite rural, so
    > security is not really an issue. To get them to change to WPA is neither
    > time-effective or necessary.
    >
    > Please read my previous posts again. The correct passphrase/hex key can be
    > entered and the wireless computer connects fine. However, when the system
    > is
    > shut down, that correct passphrase/hex key is NOT remembered on restart.
    > Instead, a previous incorrect passphrase/hex key is remembered even when
    > it
    > has been erased or removed. It is like the incorrect passphrase/hex key
    > cannot be truly deleted or replaced permanently by the correct one - it
    > keeps
    > popping back up.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> First you should know that WEP is Not secure. If your hardware can do
    >> WPA,
    >> or even better WPA-AES switch to them.
    >> In any case WEP consists on passphrase that generate Hex string.
    >> Try to erase whatever you have concerning WEP in the wireless computer.
    >> Log to the Wireless Router and copy the actual WEP's Hex string.
    >> Paste the Hex string into the Wireless computer instead of using a
    >> passphrase.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wep
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> >I have completed the steps below and get logged on to the wireless
    >> >network
    >> > correctly. However, when the computer is turned off (or rebooted), the
    >> > older
    >> > key is the one the system tries to use. It's like it really isn't
    >> > deleted
    >> > during the "remove" process. I have even rebooted the computer after
    >> > doing
    >> > the remove - same results.
    >> >
    >> > Please note that I was incorrect about the security type - it is WEP.

  11. Re: Saving security key

    Let your customer know that there is the risk of folks on delivery
    vehicles and other service vehicles with unscrupulous drivers
    possibly breaking into their WEP network and ask them if they are
    willing to take the risk. It is your responsibility if you are
    installing this for someone else and something happens if you elect,
    after being told of the risk, to use easily broken security.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  12. Re: Saving security key

    "Rick" wrote in message news:ED92D54A-4DF0-4BC2-9EB0-BAED4A39AF3C@microsoft.com...

    > Please read my previous posts again. The correct passphrase/hex key can be
    > entered and the wireless computer connects fine. However, when the system is
    > shut down, that correct passphrase/hex key is NOT remembered on restart.
    > Instead, a previous incorrect passphrase/hex key is remembered even when it
    > has been erased or removed. It is like the incorrect passphrase/hex key
    > cannot be truly deleted or replaced permanently by the correct one - it keeps
    > popping back up.

    When they reboot, can there be a crash, so the system will pick
    the previous registry copy on the next boot?

    Instead of reboot, ask them to STOP the wzcsvc service (sc stop wzcsvc)
    and start again

    --PA

+ Reply to Thread